The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Re: The American Civil War Diaries - WHERE IS REB?

Bill, not wishing to get this thread off track too much, but regarding the barmaid it's a toss up between Rob and Simon, if you'll excuse the expression! :eek::D

Jeff
Fair enought; back to the ACW.;):cool:

We do need intelligent and well reasoned members like him here. His absence is a loss for all of us and the Forum overall.

Am hoping to persuade him to return to the forum when I see him in London in just over two weeks,as Brad said we need people like Bob around here. He is a very nice bloke, really knows his stuff and produces some of the finest dio's I personally have ever seen. I'll see what I can do over a couple of G&T's;)

Rob

Am hoping to persuade him to return to the forum when I see him in London in just over two weeks,as Brad said we need people like Bob around here. He is a very nice bloke, really knows his stuff and produces some of the finest dio's I personally have ever seen. I'll see what I can do over a couple of G&T's;)

Rob

How'd that go?

Rob

How'd that go?

Rob failed at the 'couple of G&T's' bit and it went downhill from there. ;)

Rob failed at the 'couple of G&T's' bit and it went downhill from there. ;)

..................................................................................................

Thats really a shame. What seems to be the problem?:confused:

I and I believe most everyone always enjoyed his wonderful posts!

Does anyone know what the nature of the situation is?

Guys, despite what that naughty Simon says, between us all we managed to persuade Bob that he has many friends here on the forum and so he is going to return soon, his dio's are probably the best on this or any other forum and when it comes to the ACW and many other areas his knowledge is unmatched.So be assured he will return, he was in good spirits on Saturday and brought me a drink, as did that other fine upstanding gentleman Mr John Jenkins.

So UKReb will ride once again, watch this space....

Rob

Guys, despite what that naughty Simon says, between us all we managed to persuade Bob that he has many friends here on the forum and so he is going to return soon, his dio's are probably the best on this or any other forum and when it comes to the ACW and many other areas his knowledge is unmatched.So be assured he will return, he was in good spirits on Saturday and brought me a drink, as did that other fine upstanding gentleman Mr John Jenkins.

So UKReb will ride once again, watch this space....

Rob
Nice job Rob, I knew we could count on you mate.:cool:

The Battle of Five Forks-"The Confederacy's Waterloo"

City Point-Virginia 31st March 1865 Grant's HQ.

Following President Lincoln & Sherman's departure Grant and Meade assembled Sheridan and his Cavalry Corps Commanders.
"General Sheridan your Cavalry Corps supported by two Pennsylvania Infantry regiments from II Corps will move around the enemy right flank. Swing south then head north and wreck their railroad supply. Once we take his supply route Petersburg and Richmond will fall. Grant paused:
"My one concern is that Lee will break out and try to link up with Johnston's army. If he does we will pursue him whilst Bill Sherman keeps Johnston pinned down in North Carolina"
Sheridan uttered "General Grant, Lee and his army will not slip past me and my boys. Who will be covering the left flank?"
Grant replied "Warren's V Corps and I ensure you he will be in position by noon tomorrow. Wait for his signal and then co-ordinate a pincer attack"

DSC00004-2.jpg

Lee's spies had immediately notified Lee of Sheridan's movements. He rode with Longstreet- First Corps Commander-now returned to the army after recovering from his wounds received in the Wilderness- and located General George Pickett and his division at Five Forks Junction. Lee addressed the diminutive Virginian
"General, today Sheridan attacked us at Dinwiddie Court House and was repelled by General Heth's Division. It is my belief those people (Lee never referred to the Union army as the enemy always as "those people") will move towards here at Five Forks to try and outflank us and capture the Southside Railroad. You sir, must hold this position at all hazards. General Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry will support you on the left flank".
Pickett pledged he would hold the position, Lee saluted and rode off. Longstreet looked sternly at his Divisional commander
"George, you must hold this line to the last man"

DSC00015-5.jpg

3 PM 1st April 1865-Union Cavalry position right flank of the Confederate Line.

Cavalry Commanders MG Wesley Merritt & MG G A Custer found the area in front of the Confederate position impractical for mounted operations. They ordered their troopers to dismount and attack on foot. They had waited nearly three hours for a messenger from Warren's V Corps but nobody came.
For the anxious cavalrymen forced to lie inactive before a vigilant and formidable enemy, watching the lengthening shadows, which marked the waning of the day, the waiting seemed an eternity.

DSC000133.jpg

But Warren and his Corps had been impeded by muddy fields and tangled undergrowth. Also they were unable to locate the Confederate left flank according to their maps. Warren and his Corps would not be in position until 4.00 pm

DSC00063-1.jpg

A furious Sheridan relieved Warren and placed MG Griffin in command of V Corps. They attacked the hastily erected Confederate left flank and smashed through the Reb line. Whilst Custer and Merritt charged the right

DSC000182-1.jpg

The Rebs poured Minies into the Federal line but nothing was going to stop them as "them damm Yankees came on like a blue avalanche"

DSC00019-4.jpg

One 56th North Carolina infantryman noted "our old flag was shot to pieces, nothing but a bunch of rags tied to a stick, but we tried to stand by it like a wall of iron"

DSC00030-4.jpg

The Union soldiers swarmed on all sides of the Confederate line and the Rebs noticed their tattered old banner slowly sink out of sight

DSC00035-2.jpg

The fighting was fierce and bloody until the Rebs were completely overlapped by superior Union numbers. No matter how adept the junior commanders were they could not co-ordinate their actions without guidance from their Divisional Commanders. With no support forthcoming the Confederate defence slowly began to break

DSC000372-1.jpg

The Infamous Shad Bake

So where were the Confederate Divisional Commanders?

When Pickett didn't see any action developing to his front by 3.00pm he decided to accept MG Tom Rosser's invitation to the Virginian tradition of a shad bake. Pickett and FitzHugh Lee without informing anyone where they were going rode to Hatcher's Run two miles to the rear which was surrounded by thick woodland that muffled any sounds of gunfire and cannon.

As Pickett and Lee munched on the tasty fish both were completely unaware that the whole Confederate line at Five Forks was close to collapse.

DSC000252-1.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

The Reb

The master returns!^&grin Wonderful stuff Bob really superb, your work gets better and better. Also really glad you are back amongs us, never thought you'd take my advice!:wink2:^&grin

Cheers mate

Rob

The master returns!^&grin Wonderful stuff Bob really superb, your work gets better and better. Also really glad you are back amongs us, never thought you'd take my advice!:wink2:^&grin

Cheers mate

Rob

Thanks Rob-guess I kinda slipped off the page for a while. But this month being the 150th anniversary of the ACW thought it about time I bored the boys on here with another episode.
Well pleased you enjoyed it

Bob

Thanks Rob-guess I kinda slipped off the page for a while. But this month being the 150th anniversary of the ACW thought it about time I bored the boys on here with another episode.
Well pleased you enjoyed it

Bob

Great to have you back Bob. In my opinion your dio's are unrivalled in their portrayal of the Horror,intensity, drama and humanity of hand to hand combat and the ACW.

Rob

It's about bloody time! ^&grin Great to have you back mate :smile2:

I've got a book for you that you might be interested in. Battles and Leaders, just been re-issued. Originally published by Century Magazine in the mid 1880s. Accounts of battle by the participants themselves.

Well it's about time!!! I thought you had fallen of the face of the earth. Glad to see you back and posting some more snaps. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch Reb !!

Morning. :)

Raining in Gran Canaria is it? :cool::p

Nice work for and very cool foliage, as we have come to expect Lord Robert.
Look forward to more.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back