The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

The Battle of Five Forks-"The Confederacy's Waterloo"

City Point-Virginia 31st March 1865 Grant's HQ.

Following President Lincoln & Sherman's departure Grant and Meade assembled Sheridan and his Cavalry Corps Commanders.
"General Sheridan your Cavalry Corps supported by two Pennsylvania Infantry regiments from II Corps will move around the enemy right flank. Swing south then head north and wreck their railroad supply. Once we take his supply route Petersburg and Richmond will fall. Grant paused:
"My one concern is that Lee will break out and try to link up with Johnston's army. If he does we will pursue him whilst Bill Sherman keeps Johnston pinned down in North Carolina"
Sheridan uttered "General Grant, Lee and his army will not slip past me and my boys. Who will be covering the left flank?"
Grant replied "Warren's V Corps and I ensure you he will be in position by noon tomorrow. Wait for his signal and then co-ordinate a pincer attack"

DSC00004-2.jpg

Lee's spies had immediately notified Lee of Sheridan's movements. He rode with Longstreet- First Corps Commander-now returned to the army after recovering from his wounds received in the Wilderness- and located General George Pickett and his division at Five Forks Junction. Lee addressed the diminutive Virginian
"General, today Sheridan attacked us at Dinwiddie Court House and was repelled by General Heth's Division. It is my belief those people (Lee never referred to the Union army as the enemy always as "those people") will move towards here at Five Forks to try and outflank us and capture the Southside Railroad. You sir, must hold this position at all hazards. General Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry will support you on the left flank".
Pickett pledged he would hold the position, Lee saluted and rode off. Longstreet looked sternly at his Divisional commander
"George, you must hold this line to the last man"

DSC00015-5.jpg

3 PM 1st April 1865-Union Cavalry position right flank of the Confederate Line.

Cavalry Commanders MG Wesley Merritt & MG G A Custer found the area in front of the Confederate position impractical for mounted operations. They ordered their troopers to dismount and attack on foot. They had waited nearly three hours for a messenger from Warren's V Corps but nobody came.
For the anxious cavalrymen forced to lie inactive before a vigilant and formidable enemy, watching the lengthening shadows, which marked the waning of the day, the waiting seemed an eternity.

DSC000133.jpg

But Warren and his Corps had been impeded by muddy fields and tangled undergrowth. Also they were unable to locate the Confederate left flank according to their maps. Warren and his Corps would not be in position until 4.00 pm

DSC00063-1.jpg

A furious Sheridan relieved Warren and placed MG Griffin in command of V Corps. They attacked the hastily erected Confederate left flank and smashed through the Reb line. Whilst Custer and Merritt charged the right

DSC000182-1.jpg

The Rebs poured Minies into the Federal line but nothing was going to stop them as "them damm Yankees came on like a blue avalanche"

DSC00019-4.jpg

One 56th North Carolina infantryman noted "our old flag was shot to pieces, nothing but a bunch of rags tied to a stick, but we tried to stand by it like a wall of iron"

DSC00030-4.jpg

The Union soldiers swarmed on all sides of the Confederate line and the Rebs noticed their tattered old banner slowly sink out of sight

DSC00035-2.jpg

The fighting was fierce and bloody until the Rebs were completely overlapped by superior Union numbers. No matter how adept the junior commanders were they could not co-ordinate their actions without guidance from their Divisional Commanders. With no support forthcoming the Confederate defence slowly began to break

DSC000372-1.jpg

The Infamous Shad Bake

So where were the Confederate Divisional Commanders?

When Pickett didn't see any action developing to his front by 3.00pm he decided to accept MG Tom Rosser's invitation to the Virginian tradition of a shad bake. Pickett and FitzHugh Lee without informing anyone where they were going rode to Hatcher's Run two miles to the rear which was surrounded by thick woodland that muffled any sounds of gunfire and cannon.

As Pickett and Lee munched on the tasty fish both were completely unaware that the whole Confederate line at Five Forks was close to collapse.

DSC000252-1.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

The Reb

Bob, what I love about your work, and this is a perfect example, is the way you make figures from different producers work together in a seamless fashion. In the Reb charge here it looks to me like they are Collectors showcase boys at the front and leading the way, but can I ask which other producers figures you have in say the background of the Union ranks?. They just work so well and its this I hope to replicate when I finally get going.

Cheers

Rob

Very good, as usual Bob, as victory finally draws near.

I would be interested what books you used for your sources or what you recommend reading for the last phase of the War.

Terrific scenes and very creative use of so many different manufacturer's figures. Love the scenery very realistic look. -- Al

Bob, what I love about your work, and this is a perfect example, is the way you make figures from different producers work together in a seamless fashion. In the Reb charge here it looks to me like they are Collectors showcase boys at the front and leading the way, but can I ask which other producers figures you have in say the background of the Union ranks?. They just work so well and its this I hope to replicate when I finally get going.

Cheers

Rob

Rob

You're correct with your observations but I must confess I am not a hard edged loyalist to any manufacturer (in the forum's current climate I hope I can say that). I very much mix and match between Conte; Britains; CS and K&C. It's very much a case of what scene I'm trying to depict and whose figures fit that scene then decides which manufacturer's product comes to the front of the dio

It's also a matter of scale as K&C & CS are a little larger than Britains or Conte so if the former are front and centre in the dio I blend the latter into the background and vice-versa. It seems to work for me with a little artistic licence

I tend to buy what I like from anyone (yeah I know that sounds old hat but it's true) if I want a figure that has not been manufactured I'll either buy a metal kit and paint it or "butcher" an existing figure and revamp him into the animation I require.

I recommend all the ACW manf's because each and everyone of them always has something that catches my eye and I hate to state which one's the better. But for the benefit of this post and in my opinion only Conte make the best "Dead & Wounded" Britains Iron Brigade have never been surpassed. CS are now making some very very fine ACW artillery sets after their first debacle of their "Scream" faces and K&C's Reb Cavalry and Wounded sets and ACW characters are absolutely first class (pictures attached as I know you are a big fan {sm3}) Yes I have read from other members that the colour is a little bright-but boy do they photograph well and I am an avid fan.

DSC00088.jpg

DSC000112-1.jpg

Hope that helps and if you want any other advice on your build just shout-but on reflection and fondly remembering your absolutely stunning WWII dios you posted awhile back- belay my offer as you will definitely not need it :smile2:

Bob

Terrific scenes and very creative use of so many different manufacturer's figures. Love the scenery very realistic look. -- Al

Thanks Al appreciate the comments especially from another well read militarist ;)

Bob

I would be interested what books you used for your sources or what you recommend reading for the last phase of the War.

Thanks Brad

Well the Rhea books are the best but Noah Andre Trudeau's trilogy comes a close second on the Overland and Petersburg campaigns.

But for a slim single volume beautifully written try Lee's Last Campaign by Cifford Dowdey-Perfectly encapsulates Lee's struggle in trying to combat Grant from the Wilderness to Appomattox. You'll love it.

Bob

Rob

You're correct with your observations but I must confess I am not a hard edged loyalist to any manufacturer (in the forum's current climate I hope I can say that). I very much mix and match between Conte; Britains; CS and K&C. It's very much a case of what scene I'm trying to depict and whose figures fit that scene then decides which manufacturer's product comes to the front of the dio

It's also a matter of scale as K&C & CS are a little larger than Britains or Conte so if the former are front and centre in the dio I blend the latter into the background and vice-versa. It seems to work for me with a little artistic licence

I tend to buy what I like from anyone (yeah I know that sounds old hat but it's true) if I want a figure that has not been manufactured I'll either buy a metal kit and paint it or "butcher" an existing figure and revamp him into the animation I require.

I recommend all the ACW manf's because each and everyone of them always has something that catches my eye and I hate to state which one's the better. But for the benefit of this post and in my opinion only Conte make the best "Dead & Wounded" Britains Iron Brigade have never been surpassed. CS are now making some very very fine ACW artillery sets after their first debacle of their "Scream" faces and K&C's Reb Cavalry and Wounded sets and ACW characters are absolutely first class (pictures attached as I know you are a big fan {sm3}) Yes I have read from other members that the colour is a little bright-but boy do they photograph well and I am an avid fan.

DSC00088.jpg

DSC000112-1.jpg

Hope that helps and if you want any other advice on your build just shout-but on reflection and fondly remembering your absolutely stunning WWII dios you posted awhile back- belay my offer as you will definitely not need it :smile2:

Bob

Thanks Bob, thats just what I needed to hear. I fully agree re the ACW producers, every one of them has something I think I could use, i'm pretty excited about having several producers to choose from.

And thanks for your very kind comments re my dio's, I am Sir, your humble student!^&grin

Cheers mate

Rob

Bob,
thank you for another wonderful chapter of the diaries.
Every single scene is so well set up and arranged, it's a real pleasure to go through the entire thread again and again.
Amazing work :salute::
Konrad

Thanks Brad

Well the Rhea books are the best but Noah Andre Trudeau's trilogy comes a close second on the Overland and Petersburg campaigns.

But for a slim single volume beautifully written try Lee's Last Campaign by Cifford Dowdey-Perfectly encapsulates Lee's struggle in trying to combat Grant from the Wilderness to Appomattox. You'll love it.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will look for the ones you mentioned.

Besides your excellent work, what is mind boggling, is the extent of your collection. I am not that familiar with all available ACW pieces, but you always have the right pose to make the scene. Alex

I think Bob builds and adapts some figures as he needs them, quite an art in itself, may pluck up the courage to try it one day!

Rob

Bob, who makes the fence you feature in these pictures? It looks really nice. Is it your own creation?

Joe

Hi Joe

They are John Gittings (JG Miniatures) work-A year or so ago I drew some sketches of split-rail fences and sent them to John asking him if he could knock up some organic looking fences for my stash -at the time no-one else was producing them apart from some very old Britains sets which were hardly durable and really didn't cut the mustard for what I wanted. My attempts at building some authentic looking examples were unsuccessful and didn't pass the quality test. John eventually made them out of metal and sells them in either sets of two or three which can be fitted together as straight or as snake rails. I do believe they are now one of his best-sellers especially at the London shows. Well recommended

Bob

Well Brad, not to put to fine a point on it but I think it would be more correct to say, as the Northern victory finally draws near. Certainly not everyone viewed it as a victory.:wink2:

So Bob, any word on when we addicts can expect our next hit?^&grin

Well Brad, not to put to fine a point on it but I think it would be more correct to say, as the Northern victory finally draws near. Certainly not everyone viewed it as a victory.:wink2:

:rolleyes2: Oh,yes, my error; it was U.S. victory :wink2:

Reb , I am currently reading Jeff Shaara's "The Last Full Measure " and this thread has turned it into a picture book . Your collection and how you display and photograph it is an inspiration

Many thanks
Kirk

Battle of Five Forks Part II

Following Warren being relieved of his command by Sheridan the gauntlet was passed to Maj. Gen. Charles Griffin. He wasted no time and swiftly brought in his reserve division alongside Maj. Gen Romeyn Ayres regiments.

DSC00009-4.jpg

To the north Maj. Gen Samuel Crawford wheeled his division into line next to Ayres men adding more pressure to the buckling Confederate lines

DSC00043-3.jpg

Together they began to drive the leaderless Confederates before them while Sheridan's dismounted cavalry swept around the Reb right flank

DSC000202-1.jpg

Under continuous fire, outnumbered almost three to one and now fighting on three sides, with no orders or support forthcoming the defenders fell back almost in a rout.

DSC000412.jpg

As the Reb infantrymen fell back in an attempt to form a new defensive line their action exposed the left flank Confederate battery

DSC000203.jpg

The three gun battery was under the command of 23 year old Lt Col. Willie Pegram. This young artillery officer had amassed a commendable combat record, for he had fought valiantly in every major action that the ANV had been engaged in. His fame was assured throughout the Confederate army as in the hearts of the Southern people. He had never lost a single gun to the enemy and had often stated to his artillerists.

"Men whenever the enemy take a gun from us look for my dead body in front of it"

An experienced combat officer Pegram immediately knew that his battery was now in a desperate situation but he remained perfectly calm calling out to his cannoneers as they swung their cannons to meet this Yankee onslaught

"Men, Fire your canister low"

DSC000134.jpg

Sgt. Milo Boyd had enlisted in the 32nd Massachusetts Infantry regiment in May 1862. He was a hardened veteran and had fought at Antietam; Fredericksburg; Gettysburg and The Wilderness. He called out to the men of his unit

"I have three bullet holes in my pants and two in my sleeve. By God this is a grand fight. So c'mon boys I do believe we can end this war today"

DSC000282-2.jpg

As the Massachusetts men moved forward bringing up the rear was the oldest man in the regiment Herbie "Pappy" Yates nursing a minie wound to his left arm. As he passed a nervous youth feverishly attempting to re-load his rifle he muttered to him

"You heard the sergeant lad.Let's finish this as I'm tired of this damm war".

DSC00041-4.jpg

As the Reb gunners struggled to reposition their gun one of the cannoneers glanced to his front...froze for a moment before uttering

"Judas Priest!"

for it appeared to him as if............

DSC000092-2.jpg

............the whole damm Yankee army was advancing towards Pegram's guns

DSC00029-4.jpg

To Be Continued
The Reb

Love it Reb!! I am so glad you keep adding to this thread. You are truly an inspiration with the way you present your work.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back