The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

BLIMEY! I just noticed this thread has had 60,000 hits {eek3}{eek3}{eek3}

Still not a patch on Joe's Zulu Wars heading toward 90,000 but hell both not bad for what is afterall a predominantly WWII forum. {sm4}

BLIMEY! I just noticed this thread has had 60,000 hits {eek3}{eek3}{eek3}

Still not a patch on Joe's Zulu Wars heading toward 90,000 but hell both not bad for what is afterall a predominantly WWII forum. {sm4}

And what a great thread this is and just think your thread is one of the BIG 3 blue chip threads on the Forum.
The third one being the "Bored tonight thread" ^&grin

"BOOTS & SADDLES"

A troop of the First Maryland Cavalry CSA execute a "water call" for their steeds

DSC00079.jpg

Maryland was a border state during the ACW that never left the Union but the state harbored many Southern sympathisers with many of them joining the Confederate Army

DSC000202-2.jpg

On 17th June 1861 70 Marylanders-all ex US Dragoons-under the command of Captain George R Gather rode to Winchester VA and enlisted in the 7th Virginia Cavalry.

DSC00066.jpg

However, tired of just being allocated picket duties, on 18th July 1861 the Maryland Cavalry placed itself under the command of J.E.B. Stuart and became Company K of the First Virginia Cavalry which had been organised two days earlier. Stuart allowed them to carry their Maryland/CSA colors and they remained within the Confederate ranks right up until the surrender at Appomattox.

DSC00074-1.jpg

Reb

Bob,

Great scene. Small but packed full of detail. One of your best. I assume all K & C figures and I also assume the drinking hole dio is your creation.

Excellent Bob :salute:::salute:::salute::

The waterhole is similar to my JG desert oasis

Cheers

Martyn:)

Another excellently photographed diorama/scene with a great history lesson . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Very nice work as usual, Bob. How'd you get that ripple effect on the water surface?

MD

Bob: Utterly fantastic. As always well thought out, plausible and inspiring. You take the art form to a new height. Thank you for sharing. You made my summer. No really. You splice in the right figurines to make the diorama incredibly spot on. Never over the top it is the subtlety that makes it work so well. One question: I am familiar with all the figures except one...far right is not a K&C figure. Who makes that standing trooper? Thanks again.

It's always so nice in seeing a chapter from the diaries making an appearance and again you bringing your figures to life with their staging and photographs. Thanks again Bob sharing it with us........Joe

Bob:

This is a fantastic little dio...beautifully thought out...simple, but great detail and fine quality materials and figures. This is really one to be proud of: congrats!

-Nicholas

"BOOTS & SADDLES"

A troop of the First Maryland Cavalry CSA execute a "water call" for their steeds

DSC00079.jpg

Maryland was a border state during the ACW that never left the Union but the state harbored many Southern sympathisers with many of them joining the Confederate Army

DSC000202-2.jpg

On 17th June 1861 70 Marylanders-all ex US Dragoons-under the command of Captain George R Gather rode to Winchester VA and enlisted in the 7th Virginia Cavalry.

DSC00066.jpg

However, tired of just being allocated picket duties, on 18th July 1861 the Maryland Cavalry placed itself under the command of J.E.B. Stuart and became Company K of the First Virginia Cavalry which had been organised two days earlier. Stuart allowed them to carry their Maryland/CSA colors and they remained within the Confederate ranks right up until the surrender at Appomattox.

DSC00074-1.jpg

Reb

Bob,

Very nice layout full of details, right down to the reflection on the water surface....^&cool

Jeff

Bob: Utterly fantastic. As always well thought out, plausible and inspiring. You take the art form to a new height. Thank you for sharing. You made my summer. No really. You splice in the right figurines to make the diorama incredibly spot on. Never over the top it is the subtlety that makes it work so well. One question: I am familiar with all the figures except one...far right is not a K&C figure. Who makes that standing trooper? Thanks again.

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated

Jeff

The figure you cannot recognise is indeed a K&C Reb.................who has had a repaint-just couldn't handle the original yellow/blonde hair :smile2:. Matter of fact all the figures and horses have had two coats of matt varnish applied in an attempt to reduce that bright "technicolor" look. The horse furniture/reins bridles and saddles have been dulled from gloss black to black satin leather. Hooves, boots, bottoms of trousers have been suitably muddied. Patches removed from the troopers pants. Always considered the steeds eyes were too "human looking" ie exposing too much white-sure horses eyes do have a white outers to their eyes but is normally only fully exposed when the horse is spooked/frightened. The poses for these steeds did not lend themselves to that particular feature so they were hazeled over then coated with clear varnish over the whole eyeball.

Bob

Bob, what a superb scene my friend, just brilliant. The quality of your work never drops one inch, the reflections in the water are just another sign of how realistic your scenes really are. Congratulations Bob.

As you said this thread is past the 60,000 views Mark, this is well deserved and easy to understand, got to be the best thread on the forum.

Cheers

Rob

Five Forks-Virginia 1st April 1865-5.30pm

The Union V Corps and Sheridan's Cavalry swept over Pickett's Division and young Pegram's cannon

DSC00033-3.jpg

Shouts and cheering resounded above the din of battle all across the field. The men in blue knew they had carried the day

DSC00079-1.jpg

Lieutenants without a general; artillerists without cannon; cavalrymen without horses-outnumbered almost three to one and fighting on three sides. The Confederate defenders broke and ran. Others tired of months of starvation rations and continuous bloodshed simply laid down their weapons and surrendered to the victorious Union soldiers.

Draped over one of his guns was the body of the young artillery colonel-Willie Pegram-just as he had predicted he would die before he surrendered any of his battery's cannon.

DSC00042-2.jpg

Finally Pickett and Fitz Lee returned from their picnic. Riding down the White Oak Road-the hero of Gettysburg- was faced with a scene of his whole command routed. He rode amongst his troops trying to rally them, but it was no use. They would not stop until it was safe.
One fellow officer, seeing Pickett soon after the battle was dismayed, describing him as "hopeless, demoralised and prostrated. He did not look like the bon vivant Pickett I knew, more like and old and broken man"

That night Pickett was relieved of his command-what was left of it.

DSC000032.jpg

With his position now flanked and his last supply rail line in the hands of Sheridan's troopers Lee had no choice but to evacuate Petersburg and Richmond. The pride of the Army of Northern Virginia was now forced into the humiliation of a flight, dignified by the name of a "retreat" through the devastated farm country moving due west.

On the outskirts of Petersburg he called a swift meeting with his three Corps commanders, Longstreet; Ewell and Powell Hill to inform them of the evacuation route supplied by the Confederate engineer and map-maker Jedediah Hotchkiss-Lee spoke quietly to the assembled group.

DSC00095-1.jpg

"Gentlemen, we will cross the Appomattox and collect supplies at Amelia Court House to feed and arm the men. We will then attempt to join forces with General Johnston's Army of Tennessee. I have informed President Jefferson Davis accordingly. Good luck gentlemen"

Shortly following this meeting Powell Hill was shot and killed by Union troopers as he rode to join his command.

DSC00015-6.jpg

As Lee rode back to ensure the retreat was kept to schedule he happened on a makeshift field hospital set up in a deserted barn. Confederate Brigade Surgeon Herbert M Nash was attempting to treat the hundreds of wounded from the Five Forks fight.

DSC00036-3.jpg

Lee saluted the surgeon and said "Doctor, can my staff make arrangements to evacuate you and the wounded?"

Nash shook his head-"Thank you General Lee but most of these men are seriously wounded and unable to travel and I cannot leave them. I must remain here with the hope that the Federal army will meet my requirements of medical supplies as we have none left"

Lee was quiet for a moment then saluted the surgeon again and said "I am truly sorry doctor and fear our cause is now in God's hands"

DSC00016-4.jpg

April 2nd 1865-Fort Gregg-Virginia

To give Lee time to craft an escape, a small group of threadbare Confederate artillerists and infantry prepared to make a suicidal last stand at an earthwork redoubt-grandly called Fort Gregg.

200 determined Southerners now faced 4500 Union troops which would become a cauldron of hell. Fourteen Federal soldiers would receive the Congressional Medal of Honor for valor during the coming fight.

The ferocious Reb defense at Fort Gregg to allow time for their ANV collegues to escape would become known in history as "The Confederate Alamo"

DSC00063-2.jpg

To be continued
Reb

Well Bob, it gets harder and harder to come up with new words to describe how superb your work is my friend, just brilliant.Wonderfully realistic scenes and great script to go with them, just wonderful Bob.{bravo}}

Rob

Superb Bob, can't wait for the next installment :salute:::salute:::salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Just splendid Bob, absolutely splendid. I am always in awe of your creative photography and your heart felt story line. Huzzah Sir!
:) Mike

Another classics photgraphic an written tale from your American Civil War Diaries UKReb an Bob once again you've outdone yourself..........Joe{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back