The American Civil War Diaries (5 Viewers)

Wonderful ending Bob, as usual your sublime skill and realism is on show right to the end. I do hope its not the last of your ACW scenes, there must be something you can revisit and I'm sure none of us would mind in the least you returning to it even though this latest is the Wars finale.

Think about it my friend:wink2:

Hope to catch you in London

Rob

Absolutely PHENOMENAL series, Reb! ^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool You should seriously consider getting together with Kevin Eliott (Panda1gen) and publishing it through Blurb.com. I would buy copies for myself and my son.

Not much I can say Bob that hasn't already been said an it's sad seeing The Diaries coming to an end with the pleasures it's given us here on the forum. Wonder what you've got in store for us next.......Joe

I always look forward to seeing your work Reb! Fantastic set up and ground work, Great figures and pics!^&cool I hope you start a new thread soon now that you have finished this one???

Excellent Bob, did you paint the Andreas figure, wounded man been carried?

Beautiful ending. The figure of Lee in front of his tent is the best figure of Lee that I have seen. The lone Confederates on the road home is a very poignant note to end on. Well done, sir. -- Al

A huge work of art ....... Outstanding presentation...You know Nick and I know how much work went into this. {bravo}}Alex

Beautiful ending to a classic series Bob. Somehow I believe there will be an encore. I remember your fabulous Alamo works of art too. I too think the figure of Lee before the tent is extremely nice. Can you share who makes that one?

Hey guys many thanks for your appreciative comments on the final chapter of the Diaries-its been a little over four years since I started this thread (about the same length of time of the actual War of the Rebellion). Interesting when I look back at my first instalments/chapters where all I had were old Britains and Conte figures which were a bit hit and miss in accuracy and scale let alone the poor paint finish on some of them. Now just looking at the quality of the figures we can collect today highlights how far this hobby of ours has come in just four years.

Trying to depict the story of war in the Eastern Theatre has been a lot of fun and at the same time stressful especially when one doesn't have a particular figure posed exactly how you want him to illustrate the scene. That's why I started to carve up and convert quite a few Rebs and Yanks to fit-some worked out fine others not so good. But assembling the metal kits available from a host of manufacturers was a God-send. For example the Andrea Reb double figure "Franklin" I used in the last three pictures was a perfect fit to match Margaret Mitchell's opening lines of her novel. I also discovered by trial and a lot of error that K&C; Britains and Collectors Showcase figures are quite easy to disassemble/cut and reassemble without causing too much damage. But take a tip never try to cut off the arms and legs of Conte figures-I have no idea what metal RC uses for his figures but its as tough as tungsten.

Al & 6th Wisconsin referred to the Lee figure below

DSC00010-1.jpg

He's a metal-kit and I bought him already assembled with a few other figures-He needed a repaint but I agree with Al he is one of the finest figures of Lee I have seen or have got. However, he is a true 54mm scale and consequently is far too small a scale to place amongst the rest of my troops. Therefore he has resided on my office desk for some considerable time- but a couple of London shows ago I picked up the Reb cavalryman & steed-shown in the shot- from Alexander Toys. Primarily because he was holding the Confederate Second National flag "The Stainless Banner" and by sheer luck he was the same scale as Massa Lee so together they complemented each other perfectly for that particular scene.

Thanks again guys and as usual am pleased some of you found this thread interesting enough to post a comment.

Bob the Reb.

Bob

You have made the Civil War come alive for so many collectors with your superb scenic and storytelling skills!

Thank you for all your efforts and inspiration!

Randy

Hi Reb,
you served us a Grand Finale of the Civil War Diaries.
Thank you very much for the entire thread.
It was a great pleasure to follow your history lessons since the start and it will be again and again.
The number of views to this thread speaks for itself.
The combination of your diorama-building and photographic skills combined with your extensive knowledge of the American Civil War just can't be beat.
I sure hope that you will be up to new scenarios in the future, be it for the ACW or another conflict.
Your capturing of the Alamo was nothing short of the quality and entertainment that this thread offered.
So, please bring us more from the UKReb :salute:::salute:::salute::
Konrad

Thanks Reb for your whole series on the war in the East. I enjoyed every page. The patience, knowledge of the Civil War and your great photography along with top modeling skills made this thread the best by far. Thanks for a very entertaining series. Much appreciated. John

Hey guys many thanks for your appreciative comments on the final chapter of the Diaries-its been a little over four years since I started this thread (about the same length of time of the actual War of the Rebellion). Interesting when I look back at my first instalments/chapters where all I had were old Britains and Conte figures which were a bit hit and miss in accuracy and scale let alone the poor paint finish on some of them. Now just looking at the quality of the figures we can collect today highlights how far this hobby of ours has come in just four years.

Trying to depict the story of war in the Eastern Theatre has been a lot of fun and at the same time stressful especially when one doesn't have a particular figure posed exactly how you want him to illustrate the scene. That's why I started to carve up and convert quite a few Rebs and Yanks to fit-some worked out fine others not so good. But assembling the metal kits available from a host of manufacturers was a God-send. For example the Andrea Reb double figure "Franklin" I used in the last three pictures was a perfect fit to match Margaret Mitchell's opening lines of her novel. I also discovered by trial and a lot of error that K&C; Britains and Collectors Showcase figures are quite easy to disassemble/cut and reassemble without causing too much damage. But take a tip never try to cut off the arms and legs of Conte figures-I have no idea what metal RC uses for his figures but its as tough as tungsten.

DSC00010-1.jpg

He's a metal-kit and I bought him already assembled with a few other figures-He needed a repaint but I agree with Al he is one of the finest figures of Lee I have seen or have got. However, he is a true 54mm scale and consequently is far too small a scale to place amongst the rest of my troops. Therefore he has resided on my office desk for some considerable time- but a couple of London shows ago I picked up the Reb cavalryman & steed-shown in the shot- from Alexander Toys. Primarily because he was holding the Confederate Second National flag "The Stainless Banner" and by sheer luck he was the same scale as Massa Lee so together they complemented each other perfectly for that particular scene.

Thanks again guys and as usual am pleased some of you found this thread interesting enough to post a comment.

Bob the Reb.

hy maby the conte figures are from Zamac metall??
greetings Christopher

Thanks Bob! You provided a tremendous amount of education to me, and to many others I'm sure, on this fine subject. The entire thread was a great learning experience for me and equally inspirational.

Mark

Granted permission to post these here's two calendars for the month of November and hope it's a great one for all and thanks Bob's for the outstanding photos to create them....Joe

calendar7fc1a741001aa6f6624914cfa322bcb3e723fbcf.jpg

calendar75f048a91840888cc3d8f12ee98aa1cb09001fcd.jpg

So, Bob what's next?

DSC00010-1.jpg

Bob the Reb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back