The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

For us fans of this superlative thread I have good news. Speaking to Mr Reb at the show on Saturday he told me he will be doing more, the ACW is not over yet!

Rob

For us fans of this superlative thread I have good news. Speaking to Mr Reb at the show on Saturday he told me he will be doing more, the ACW is not over yet!

Rob

Great news {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

Rob

Best news I have heard in a while ! This thread is a real contribution to the ACW centenary .

Regards
Kirk

Great news indeed {bravo}}
Now it's like waiting for a good movie to start :)
Konrad

Good news indeed. How about Shiloh, Vicksburg, Morgan's raids, etc.

What would be nice and I know it's asking a lot if Bob could take his entire thread and put in chronological order in a separate thread. Yes, definitely asking a lot {eek3}

I'm hoping he may return to Gettysburg^&cool

Rob

I'm hoping he may return to Gettysburg^&cool

Rob

Here you go Rob.

The morning of July 1st 1863-Gettysburg

Colonel Gamble's 8th Illinois cavalry positioned south of the Chambersburg Pike prepare to take on Archer's brigade of Tennesseans and Alabamians.

DSC00078-2.jpg

Buford's orders to Gamble "Hold the high ground Colonel". Gamble's reply "Hell General my boys will hold the whole day long"

DSC00097-1.jpg

Figures First Legion with a few having undergone some minor surgery

Reb

Now that is what I call a diorama. Bob my friend , superb work as usual , great to see you at
work again, great poses, great scenery. Another lesson in real diorama work^&cool

Cheers mate

Rob

Thanks for all of your efforts Bob to bring the ACW alive via toy soldiers, this is by far my favorite thread on the forum.

As others have suggested, please consider having a go at the Western Theater; Shiloh, Stone's River, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Nashville, Franklin, so many battles to consider and recreate.

Thanks again for everything.........

Beautiful work again, Reb,
and most exciting too, to see you back creating these wonderful dioramas.
Thank you.
Konrad

Excellent use of First Legion figures Bob. Glad to see you back in the saddle :smile2:

Cheers,

Brad

Bob: Welcome back. Another rock solid storyline.You really toned down the FL figurines nicely by taking off some of the over the top brass and giving them a more weathered look. The split rail fences are top notch as is the whole scenic back drop. Your mastery of scenery and the lens accentuates the figurines into timeless three dimensional art. I see the FL slant of being a Gettysburg centric ACW Union Cavalry line being a three day participant: You can depict this grand battle on multiple angles. Buford's Cavalry Brigade was relevant Day 1 just to the west of the town delaying Heth's men coming up the road from Cashtown, you can utilize these dismounted troops as Custer's 6th and 7th Michigan Day 2 ambushing Cobb's Georgia Legion north of town on both sides of the tight, split rail fence lined Hunterstown Rd. and then craft them into plausible Day 3 skirmishers fighting Stuart and Wade Hampton near Rummel's Farm at East Cavalry Field. I guess we will have to wait for WB, First Legion or someone else to finally bring us credible amounts and depictions of both mounted and dismounted Confederates to really drive the whole mounted theme into what infantry and artillery afficianados are already experiencing.

Bob: Welcome back. Another rock solid storyline.You really toned down the FL figurines nicely by taking off some of the over the top brass and giving them a more weathered look. The split rail fences are top notch as is the whole scenic back drop. Your mastery of scenery and the lens accentuates the figurines into timeless three dimensional artistry

Thanks guys and well spotted Jeff.

Following all the controversy about these guys uniforms and their weaponry carried which had been well articulated by your goodself and Mike (Mestell) in posts and PM's to me. Subsequently, a few of my troopers have undergone minor/major surgery as per these following shots.

DSC00106-1.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

Slouch hats have been replaced by Forage/Bummer caps with most of the brass removed. Yellow pant stripes have been painted out (I did keep the dual figure's slouch hat as I particularly like him wearing that (on that hot July morning no-one can tell me that one trooper didn't have a slouch carried in his saddle bag). You are correct this undertaking gives the troopers a more veteran look rather than parade uniform assembly.

The pistol "totin" troopers have had all their hand guns replaced with carbines-their most effective weapon on a skirmish line- and these have had their sabers removed having been left with their horses plus sabre belt straps tidied up and re-connected to their belts. Also their "butterfly cut" knee flap boots have been reduced to a Wellington style boot (Much too diificult a sculpt job to extend trousers over Jefferson boots or Brogans) so will have to imagine that the 8th Illinois were well breeched enough to be able to afford cavalry boots from the Sutler store.

Observations/critiques on these alterations more than welcome. But thanks again guys for your comments.

Bob

thanks guys and well spotted jeff.

Following all the controversy about these guys uniforms and their weaponry carried which had been well articulated by your goodself and mike (mestell) in posts and pm's to me. Subsequently, a few of my troopers have undergone minor/major surgery as per these following shots.

dsc00106-1.jpg

dsc00109.jpg

slouch hats have been replaced by forage/bummer caps with most of the brass removed. Yellow pant stripes have been painted out (i did keep the dual figure's slouch hat as i particularly like him wearing that (on that hot july morning no-one can tell me that one trooper didn't have a slouch carried in his saddle bag). You are correct this undertaking gives the troopers a more veteran look rather than parade uniform assembly.

The pistol "totin" troopers have had all their hand guns replaced with carbines-their most effective weapon on a skirmish line- and these have had their sabers removed having been left with their horses plus sabre belt straps tidied up and re-connected to their belts. Also their "butterfly cut" knee flap boots have been reduced to a wellington style boot (much too diificult a sculpt job to extend trousers over jefferson boots or brogans) so will have to imagine that the 8th illinois were well breeched enough to be able to afford cavalry boots from the sutler store.

Observations/critiques on these alterations more than welcome. But thanks again guys for your comments.

Bob

Once again Reb not only have you brought us another history lesson from your diaries but insured it was acurately protrade and i'm sure you've made Mike's day. Great having you returning to your diaries to share with us.....joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back