The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

Bob, I know you can't see this, but I am standing here giving you a standing ovation. Your efforts at converting these figures to a more historically correct appearance is just outstanding . . . oh how I wish I had your talent and courage to make these changes to my own figures. Just brilliantly done sir . . . .
:) Mike

Reb

You beat BSP to Gettysburg, but I dont think we had the forces to sustain the battle anyway, and you are the better man for the job.....So we will stay in Western Europe 1944 and we will watch with great anticipation your fine ACW work. Alex

Friday June 26th 1863-Outskirts of Gettysburg

Fife and drum martial music prompted Tillie Pierce- working in her father's barn- to go take a look

DSC000212-1.jpg

It was the advance brigade of Lee's army-General John B Gordon's Georgian Infantry of Jubal Early's Division of Ewell's Corps accompanied by a detachment of Albert Jenkin's cavalry.

DSC00077-1.jpg

Gordon's 5000 soldiers looked to Tillie like the whole Confederate army had invaded Pennsylvania. A few of the men lifted their hats calling out "Good afternoon Ma'am Georgia's come a visitin'"

DSC000112-2.jpg

The Confederate conduct of this advance brigade was generally good despite the fact that the State of Virginia had suffered severely in bearing the brunt of the fighting and Union troops had not always been considerate of the property of the people of the South.

DSC00048-1.jpg

As the Confederates pushed on into Pennsylvania the countryside had surprised them. For most this was their first visit to the North and the natural beauty of the region and the level of opulence among northern farmers with the sheer abundance of crops and fruit trees-in comparison to Virginia-shocked these Southern boys.

DSC00051-1.jpg

But Lee restrained his army by issuing General Orders No 72 & 73 which stated that whilst in the enemy's country strict regulations for procuring supplies will be applied and any violation of them will be promptly and vigorously punished................we make war only upon armed men.

DSC00006-9.jpg

Gordon's troops would bivouack that night in fields north of the town. As they slept none of them could have imagined how hard they would have to fight to re-enter Gettysburg a mere five days later

DSC00067-2.jpg

Later that afternoon two Reb cavalrymen asked Tillie whether they could purchase coffee and a bushel of apples offering to pay with Confederate scrip

DSC00023-5.jpg

When she said that his paper money was worthless to her, the trooper replied
"Ma'am! in a few days time our money will be better than your own currency"

DSC00030-5.jpg

"Old Bald Head" Ewell now ordered Jubal Early's Division to strike at the Pennsylvania capital of Harrisburg by way of Wrightsville to secure the bridge over the Susquehanna river.

Ewell's march through Pennsylvania had been a rewarding one. Between June 10th & 29th his Corps had captured 28 guns and almost 4000 Union prisoners. "procured" 5,000 barrels of flour, 3000 head of cattle a trainload of ordnance and medical supplied. Subsequently, one of Lee's objectives, the procurement of much needed supplies, was thus achieved, at least in part.

Ewell's star was riding high and the South figured that a second Stonewall Jackson had emerged. A view that was about to change dramatically.

DSC00022-4.jpg

Reb

Bob...lovely pictures...I especially love the composition and the groundwork...very nice...happy holidays...

Outstanding as usual Bob, superb groundwork in this one and also really like the storyline too, nice mixture of K & C and CS figures..............

These scenese are amazing. The composition, the scenery, clouds, cornstalks, everything is gorgeous. And you have a huge selection of figures, fantastic! You should be a movie director.

Walt

These scenese are amazing. The composition, the scenery, clouds, cornstalks, everything is gorgeous. And you have a huge selection of figures, fantastic! You should be a movie director.

Walt

That about sums it up.

Bob, can you give us a breakdown of the makers of everything used in your photos.

A couple of comments: "Union troops had not always been considerate of the property of the people of the South." There was a war on and this was to be a new type of war. Under McClellan, perhaps a different story.

The two troopers: Being only two and considering Tillie's, ahem, assets, I would have thought they would have had something else on their mind :rolleyes2:

Cheers,

Brad

Walt

That about sums it up.

Bob, can you give us a breakdown of the makers of everything used in your photos.

A couple of comments: "Union troops had not always been considerate of the property of the people of the South." There was a war on and this was to be a new type of war. Under McClellan, perhaps a different story.

The two troopers: Being only two and considering Tillie's, ahem, assets, I would have thought they would have had something else on their mind :rolleyes2:

Cheers,

Brad

I agree, Bob is at his best with these latest photo's. {bravo}}

Happy Christmas Bob. :smile2:

Jeff

Fantastic, as usual, Bob. The figures and scenery really tell your story. Love the shot with the apple purchase and the soldier petting/feeding the family dog. Just such a human thing for him to do. -- Al

Bob, nobody tells a story with toy soliders better than you . . . I especially like the young woman, although she appears a bit top heavy!{sm2}

Great photos and composition Bob. You are very talented and I always enjoy viewing your work. Thanks for posting.

Yet another great episode.
Agreeing with the fellow members, you are at your best with setup, groundwork, photography.
Anyone who clicks this thread is up for the most enjoyable, artistic display of ACW history.
Thanks!
Konrad

Once again our UKREB has provided us with another tale from his American Civil War Diaries along with his outstanding classic photos which is his finest to date. Thanks Bob for keeping the Diaries alive my friend.............Joe

Great pictures Bob, have a great Christmas and a Very Happy New Year

Cheers

Martyn:)

Bob, as usual my friend your work is superb, I truly run short of superlatives!

One question, the figure of Mr Ewell, do my old eyes deceive me or is that a conversion from Britains Joe Johnston figure??? If so you've done a superb job.

Rob

Friday June 26th 1863-Outskirts of Gettysburg

Fife and drum martial music prompted Tillie Pierce- working in her father's barn- to go take a look

DSC000212-1.jpg

It was the advance brigade of Lee's army-General John B Gordon's Georgian Infantry of Jubal Early's Division of Ewell's Corps accompanied by a detachment of Albert Jenkin's cavalry.

DSC00077-1.jpg

Gordon's 5000 soldiers looked to Tillie like the whole Confederate army had invaded Pennsylvania. A few of the men lifted their hats calling out "Good afternoon Ma'am Georgia's come a visitin'"

DSC000112-2.jpg

The Confederate conduct of this advance brigade was generally good despite the fact that the State of Virginia had suffered severely in bearing the brunt of the fighting and Union troops had not always been considerate of the property of the people of the South.

DSC00048-1.jpg

As the Confederates pushed on into Pennsylvania the countryside had surprised them. For most this was their first visit to the North and the natural beauty of the region and the level of opulence among northern farmers with the sheer abundance of crops and fruit trees-in comparison to Virginia-shocked these Southern boys.

DSC00051-1.jpg

But Lee restrained his army by issuing General Orders No 72 & 73 which stated that whilst in the enemy's country strict regulations for procuring supplies will be applied and any violation of them will be promptly and vigorously punished................we make war only upon armed men.

DSC00006-9.jpg

Gordon's troops would bivouack that night in fields north of the town. As they slept none of them could have imagined how hard they would have to fight to re-enter Gettysburg a mere five days later

DSC00067-2.jpg

Later that afternoon two Reb cavalrymen asked Tillie whether they could purchase coffee and a bushel of apples offering to pay with Confederate scrip

DSC00023-5.jpg

When she said that his paper money was worthless to her, the trooper replied
"Ma'am! in a few days time our money will be better than your own currency"

DSC00030-5.jpg

"Old Bald Head" Ewell now ordered Jubal Early's Division to strike at the Pennsylvania capital of Harrisburg by way of Wrightsville to secure the bridge over the Susquehanna river.

Ewell's march through Pennsylvania had been a rewarding one. Between June 10th & 29th his Corps had captured 28 guns and almost 4000 Union prisoners. "procured" 5,000 barrels of flour, 3000 head of cattle a trainload of ordnance and medical supplied. Subsequently, one of Lee's objectives, the procurement of much needed supplies, was thus achieved, at least in part.

Ewell's star was riding high and the South figured that a second Stonewall Jackson had emerged. A view that was about to change dramatically.

DSC00022-4.jpg

Reb

UKReb,

Started collecting ACW figures and making dioramas a few years ago during college. All I can say is that your dioramas are simply amazing.

-Joseph

Good morning Bob . . . I just found your ACW contribution posted on 12/22 . . . . Don't know how I missed this serious of wonderfully done photographs of your magnificant collection. As always, they have been masterfully done and are just brilliant . . . .
:) Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back