The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

Bob , great conversions and a much different scene than we usually see on the forum, It is similar to the wintery view outside my window today(snow storm last night ). But leaving for South Carolina tomorrow so that will change soon :cool:
Kirk

Absolutely stunning!!..Bob your talents seem to be never ending..The winter scenes are simply SUPEB!!. If WB did not have plans for winter campaigns i bet they do now!!...Thanks for another first class piece of work.

Steve

I echo the others sentiments, Bob. Just brilliant. Love the winter effect and the figure conversions. A wonderful recreation of a famous incident. -- Al

Gettysburg 2nd July 1863-6.00pm

When Sickles moved his US 3rd Corps forward from Cemetery Ridge to the Peach Orchard the action formed a salient in the Union line. With both his flanks exposed Union batteries had to be rushed forward to support Sickels' troops. But the salient collapsed under massive attacks from Longstreet's First Corps Confederates.

Federal batteries scrambled to escape the collapsed positions in the peach orchard. The last tubes out of there were the farthest east along the Wheatfield Road from Barksdale's breakthrough amongst them were the 9th Massachusetts Light Artillery under the command of Captain John Bigelow.

DSC00071-1.jpg

Unlimbering Bigelow deployed his battery of four 12 pounders into the natural amphitheatre of the Trostle homestead. Making use of the low stonewalls that surrounded the Trostle's backyard the gunners prepared their cannon to cover the retreat of the remnants of Sickles' 3rd Corps

DSC00028-5.jpg

With their Corps Commander having been removed from the field with a shattered right knee the Federal infantry were now in blind panic to get back to the safety of the ridge

DSC000172-1.jpg

A few brave officers and NCO's attempted to halt their men to form a defensive position at the Trostle farm

DSC00013-2.jpg

All to no avail

DSC00048-2.jpg

Bigelow's commander Lt Col Freeman McGilvery arrived from Cemetery Ridge, his horse bleeding from wounds received in the course of the short journey. He addressed his artillery officer

"Captain, there's a gap of 1500 yards behind you without a single gun or infantryman thanks to that idiot Sickles. You must hold your position at all hazards until I can find infantry and artillery to fill the hole"

DSC00025-5.jpg

Returning to his four guns Bigelow gave out the order

"Take what ammunition left from the chests and stack it beside the guns for rapid fire. Load to the muzzle"

DSC00014-8.jpg

Having chased the Yankee infantry from the field Colonel Benjamin Humphrey's 21st Mississippi and a few of Kershaw's South Carolinians now set their sights on the 9th Massachusetts. As the gray formation crested the rise they broke into a charge and moved to flank both sides of the Trostle house.

DSC000603-1.jpg

Bigelow watching the approaching Rebs ordered his right and left line of guns to load with double canister charges. With a grand battle now raging on Little Round Top, Bigelows battery and the 21st Mississippi were about to engage in a very private little war..................

DSC00002-4.jpg

...........To Be Continued

Reb

Looking forward to the continuation Reb. Great setup and I love the choice of store bought and adapted figures, in particular the one that has fallen over the fence. What a great pose !

Bob, you have done it again mate, just wonderful scenes. The fighting in front of the building is just the mutts nuts, great work. Got to be one of my favourite scenes of yours. Keep it up Bob!

Rob

Another excellent installment Bob!! I love everything about it.......the story line, the accessories, the back drops......everything. Wonderful job!

Mark

Truly GREAT diorama- a subject little attempted and certainly mastered in these pictures!
-Sandor

Last edited:
You've once again out done yourself UKReb with another of your well written tales and photographs from your American Civil War Diaries an just can't wait for it to continue my friend..........Joe

Bob...this last installment is fantastic...the story line...the figures...the structures and the photography...I know it takes a lot of time to set these dios up...great job...

Bob

What a super job in every respect. Your new TM building really looks great and is a wonderful addition to your scenics. Pretty soon you will be able to re-create GWTW. I can only imagine what you would be able to do with the burning of Atlanta scenes.:)

Randy

Fantastic job, Bob. This series is really terrific looking. A very good recreation of the action. The artillery in the yard really looks spot on, as do the marvelous trees. Keep it coming. I have to find out if Barksdale succeeds in routing those bluebellies.:wink2:^&grin -- Al

I had a funny feeling this installment was coming after seeing the Trostle Farm in the London Show pictures....................just superb, brilliant in every way.

The 9th Massachusetts stands tall, I'd expect nothing less from them........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back