The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Great work Bob, dogs truly are mans best friend.

My cousin brought his family to Gettysburg several years ago on the way home from a trip to DC, he dragged my 10 year old niece at the time onto the battlefield for a guided tour, the poor kid was bored to death until they happened upon the monument to the 11th PA where she spotted Sallie at the base of it.

She asked guide "Why is there a doggie on the monument" and he proceeded to tell her the story of Sallie, then she asked what happened to her, to which he replied without thinking "She was shot through the head and died in 1865".....................to which the kid burst into tears, blew a gasket and stormed back to the car.................upon hearing the story I told my cousin "Nice job you nitwit, you scarred the kid for life"....................

April 6th, 1862 300 yards south/east of Shiloh Church in the vicinity of Waterhouse's Battery and the 53rd Ohio's Camp. CSA Capt. Latta, 13th Tennessee Infantry Russell's Brigade wrote. "The ground was strewn with the dead of the enemy and our own, mangled in every conceivable way. A Federal soldier was laying dead and beside him a beautiful dog would suffer no one to approach his dead master." Another account I read from a Woods Brigade soldier said it was a most beautiful bird dog laying on his dead master's chest and would not let anyone near. They moved on leaving the poor dog to grieve. Funny how they could kill men and yet worry about a dog they had orphaned.

Wonderfully told and illustrated stories Bob, particiularly well done by including the real memorial and Sallie at the end. Very touching - well Done indeed. jb

Lovely stories Bob, very well told with great pictures :salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Great scenes and a terrific story Bob, well done mate. Not for nothing is this the leading 'ongoing story' dio on the forum^&cool

Rob

I've been going through this thread and for that reason I had to flag it up again, easily the best diorama scenes I've seen on this forum, just superb, time after time year after year. The Gettysburg scenes alone have not been bettered in my view. Sir Bob of the South, I salute you:salute::

Rob

Well i have not seen this post before and would just like to thank Rob for bringing it up-front again and of course to Bob for posting it!!!!. As a lifelong Dog lover these photo"s really tick all the boxes for me!!...Wonderfully staged-photographed and with the Human /Canine connection that speaks volumes..My dog Jake is an old guy now and soon i will have to miss him, he has been for almost 14 years now my Best friend-
Confidant-Stress sponge, and a thousand other things besides...I can fully understand the band a soldier could have with his trusty Hound.
Thanks again Bob.

Steve

My first trip to Gettysburg was last weekend, and despite knowing about the 51,000 human casualties, I found myself thinking of the Maryland confederates poor mascot, rotten with miniballs, licking the hand of the Union general who came upon her after the battle. I guess it might be because I had just got my children a new Siberian Husky puppy, or because my older dog Bjorn was sick at the time (he nearly died of a bad liver infection, but is fine now), but the loyalty and sacrifices of dogs really captured my thoughts.

Having been privy to a couple of the photos prior to your the telling of this latest entry featured in your Cival War Diaries not only are the photos a site to behold but your telling of the events you've provided with each of your photos brings each and every one to life. Thanks Bob once again for sharing your Diaries with us my friend...........Joe

Once again beautiful pictures Bob, I noticed also that you have integrated some unpainted figures, one from Art Girona and I think other from Soldiers...

Great job

Ciau

Wonderful heart warming addition to the series Bob. One of my dogs lies at my side as I write this. She's never far from me while I'm home. You've brought out some of the lesser known stories of the ACW. Many thanks. Chris

Wonderful heart warming addition to the series Bob. One of my dogs lies at my side as I write this. She's never far from me while I'm home. You've brought out some of the lesser known stories of the ACW. Many thanks. Chris

Many thanks for all of your kind comments guys-nice to know we have a few dog lovers amongst us.

Chris-I fully align with your comment above in fact as I'm writing this in my office my 8 year old black Labrador-Bobby Lee (well you wouldn't have expected any other name for my hound- would you? ^&grin) is lying down by my feet.

Rod
Well spotted on those figures in the shots-also the little Union drummer boy is an Andrea kit (with his arm repositioned) as indeed are a few of the actual dogs

Louis
Pleased you finally made it to Gettysburg. Like George (Warrior) I too get goose flesh everytime I walk that hallowed ground and try to get there as often as I can-but it's a bit of a trek for me at all of 3000 plus miles-but everytime I get there I consider it well worth the journey. Like all of the London Brit Brigade I too am looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the NY Symposium guys at the show in June 2013. Trust me you're all in for a real treat.

Thanks guys for all the posts and as always very much appreciated

Bob

Louis
Pleased you finally made it to Gettysburg. Like George (Warrior) I too get goose flesh everytime I walk that hallowed ground and try to get there as often as I can-but it's a bit of a trek for me at all of 3000 plus miles-but everytime I get there I consider it well worth the journey. Like all of the London Brit Brigade I too am looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the NY Symposium guys at the show in June 2013. Trust me you're all in for a real treat.

Thanks guys for all the posts and as always very much appreciated

Bob

Bob,

Next time you are coming, let me know if you would like some company. I will be going back to Gettysburg every chance I get from now on, and I would be honored to walk the battlefield with you. Its a 4-1/2 hour drive for me, so its not difficult to meet you there if you would like.:smile2:

George,

I don't think any American with a pulse who walks that battlefield and spends some time in that town wouldn't get hooked.

Agreed, myself personally I can't get enough of Gettysburg, have spend a great deal of time not only touring the battlefield but walking the various routes of attack in and around Little Round Top, the Wheatfield, the Peach Orchard, the Trostle Farm, the route of Picketts Charge, the attacks along Cemetary Hill and Culps Hill, on and on it goes.

After the Valley Forge show in two weekends, I'm heading back and will be staying for a few days as a matter of fact...............

I am always impressed with the photography behind these shots. Everything is always in focus and the scenes are so well lit. It is like being there in person.

walt

Gettysburg-July 1st 1863-0930hrs.

Buford- having left Devin on the right of the Chambersburg Pike- then rode to check the position of Gamble and his cavalry troops. Col. William Gamble was a tough native Irishman, a veteran of the British army he was a stern taskmaster whose well drilled men were ready for combat.

Gamble pointed to where he had deployed his men.

"Sir, the 8th Illinois are in front of us with the 12th to the right and the 8th New York over yonder to the left. I have also placed Calef's six cannon straddled across the pike"

DSC00050-5.jpg

Way ahead of the Yankee position Buford could see Confederate lines of battle being formed.

Archer with Joe Davis' brigade behind him had marched down the Chambersburg Road and were now deploying. Archer's 7th Tennessee established the line anchored on the pike-the spaces to the right were then filled by the 14th & 1st Tennessee, and the 13th Alabama.

DSC00021-8.jpg

Buford dismounted and once again Gamble spoke.

"My boys captured a couple of Reb scouts earlier on this morning-That's Heth's Division ahead of us. They are very arrogant people sir, they..well just keep on coming"

Buford smiled and countered "My guess Colonel is that they want you off this ridge".

DSC00045-4.jpg

As Buford & Gamble spoke a cavalry pennant holder was struck in the head by a stray confederate minie which immediately floored him. Major John L Beveridge called out to two troopers

"Lift that pennant trooper"

DSC000493.jpg

Beveridge's order was swiftly executed

DSC00053-1.jpg

Gamble's troopers carried a mixture of Sharps, Burnside, Gallagher, Merrill & Smith carbines. These guns were all single shot weapons loaded mechanically through the breech.

DSC000352-2.jpg

Unlike the multistep process of the Confederate muzzle loader muskets facing them across the open field.

DSC00093-1.jpg

As a result the Yankee carbines could be fired by up to 5-7 times faster than a muzzle loader with the added advantage of cover of low stone walls when re-loading.

DSC00018-4.jpg

Whereas the Rebs had to load whilst standing/kneeling and so exposing their arms/torsos while ramming or drawing their ramrods.

DSC00067-3.jpg

Satisfied with Gamble's deployment as Buford turned to leave Gamble said

"Just thought I'd mention it sir, but behind Heth's Division is the rest of Hill's Second Corps and behind him is Longstreet's Corps"

Buford replied "Colonel you just take care of Harry Heth's boys and don't concern yourself about what's coming down the pike. The ridge behind you I believe is the key to our whole army position. You hold this line Colonel until General Reynolds gets here"

DSC00009-6.jpg

Reb

Bob, again I am short of superlatives, wonderful work mate and terrific battle scenes. The FL Rebs are superb figures and you've brought the best out in them as you do time after time.

Sublime my friend just sublime.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back