The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

SUPERB Bob, can't wait for the next instalment :salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Well Bob it was worth the wait and every penny! David from TMTerrrain has done an absolutely top-notch job on the buildings.
A great scene you have made here as per usual.
Just a minor observation is the limber in the correct position? :rolleyes2: ^&grin

Thanks for posting. {bravo}}

Jeff

Great pictures and storyline of this section of the battlefield. I enjoy viewing the figures and following the movements of the battle. Thanks for posting. Scenery is amazing. John

Bob, can I ask what ground cover you used in the Trostle back yard?

Rob

As usual, well written, directed, acted and filmed. Cinematography A plus :smile2:

Cheers,

Brad

Beautiful work Bob. Excellent use of your London Show acquistion. Great story line and looking fwd to the next installment! Chris

Hey Guys

Many thanks for all of your very kind comments but really the credit for this particular chapter should be laid at the feet of David Marshall. His skills as a methodical modelmaker are really mindblowing. Both David and myself had been to the Trostle farm many times but I wanted a 1/30 scale model of how it looked in 1863 (not how it appears today with its number of extensions and add-ons). Between us using many old photographs we both had in our ACW libraries David managed to exactly capture not only the farm but also the barn-with the famous cannon ball hole in the brickwork-and the wagon shed on how it looked on the 2nd July 1863. The only slight difference is the left hand chimney block is more to the centre of the roof rather than to the left (this was due to the difficulty it would have caused during construction.) I can live with that.

Up close the detail on the buildings are phenomenal that just cannot be captured in photographic mode. Here is a down shot I never used during the shoot to give some idea of the shingle roof detail and the exact scale aligned with the figures.

DSC00037-2.jpg

And a close-up of the minute detail even on the picket fence sections

DSC00001-6.jpg

I am so impressed with the whole kit and caboodle I have commissioned David to build me a whole row of store/house/hotel fronts so I can dio both the action in Baltimore Street at Gettysburg and use it possibly for the shoot-out at Fredericksburg. David tells me he will have it ready to show in London this December.

Rob you asked what ground cover I used in the backyard.
That one gave me a bit of a problem when putting the dio together. A grass mat just wouldn't have been authentic due to the tremendous foot-fall and artillery traffic that occured during that day. Bigelow lost 48 horses in that area as his artillerists and guns performed prolonge (retreat by recoil) which I assumed would have churned whatever grass covering the yard had into soil. Subsequently, I went for two of JG's soil mats and used a mix of plastic soil and grass in an attempt to imitate what I think it would have looked like. Plus the cherry trees that we had a laugh about in London-there were two that had been planted by Trostle himself in his yard but by July they would not have had blossom on them-they would have borne fruit. In fact we know this due to reports that the cherries were eaten by Sickles and his staff. But what the hell I think the cherry blossom adds a certain je ne se quois to the yard scene.

My thanks again guys for your many appreciative posts.

Bob

Bob - i don't look at the forum as often as I used to but these pictures for me are what it's all about.
Fantastic scenes,fantastic figures and a great eye for storytelling and capturing the right angle.
This really is as good as it gets and I thank you for sharing your fun and hard work!
James

Okay Bob, you got me. {sm4} I'm hooked. I'm going to Gettysburg (for the first time) April 28th and 29th, and I'm taking a horseback tour of the battlefield recommended by Tim Tyler.

That's about as good as it gets!!! Bob, that really is one if not the best looking dios I have EVER seen, the setting/postioning of your troops look like you are watching a real battle, and Davids work again is a master builder, also love the trees/foilage look perfect for this setting, it really is a mueseum type dio, congratulations again, look forward to your next installment in these diaries...Sammy

Bob, I am currently in Santee, South Carolina on my annual golfing trip with my brother and friends and I just discovered this wonderful installment to your thread while using the hotel's computer service. I cannoy say much more than what has already been said . . . The Trostle Farm diorama is just a wonderful acquisition to your ACW collection not to mention a piece of art. I often think that it is too bad that a vast ocean separates us . . . . I would love to be able to join forces with you . . . oh what a great time that would be. Huzzah to you sir . . . .
:smile2: Mike

I've been going through this thread and for that reason I had to flag it up again, easily the best diorama scenes I've seen on this forum, just superb, time after time year after year. The Gettysburg scenes alone have not been bettered in my view. Sir Bob of the South, I salute you:salute::

Rob

No other animal provides humans with so much loyalty and devotion as the dog. Soldiers have taken their canine companions to war with them since before the time of Ancient Greece. In 55 BC when Julius Caesar invaded Britain, he was astonished to find huge British mastiffs fighting courageously against his Roman legions. These massive beasts adorned with thick leather armoured collars adorned with sharp blades caused havoc running amongst his mounted troops disrupting the horses and may well account for the quote "To unleash the dogs of war".

During the American Civil War, many dogs were brought along by both the Union and Confederate army-not as fighters but more as mascots. But although these dogs formed a strong bond of love with the men of the various regiments certain individual canine's performance on the battlefield often became legendary. Many of these dogs fought bravely beside their masters and were wounded and killed during the many battles during the four years of conflict.

With so many human companions a soldier dog was sure to get plenty of attention and if a good beggar would get its fair share of whatever meat was cooking on the campfire. Those dogs who did not belong directly to one master were in most cases adopted by the regiment/battalion but the day to day care was usually delegated to the youngest boy drummer in the company.

DSC00040-4.jpg

Custer took two hounds to war with him and were usually left with his groom when he went into battle. But on occasional scouting sorties he would allow one or both to accompany him. Custer's "Wolverine" troopers grew very fond of these dogs and swore they enhanced "Custer's Luck" as the brigade always seemed to find the exact Confederate location when the dogs were with them.

As an aside: In 1876 Custer left his pack of hounds back at Fort Abraham Lincoln when he began his final campaign to the Little Big Horn where his mythical luck finally ran out.

DSC00056-5.jpg

A large hound adopted the 1st Maryland Confederate Infantry sometime in 1862. History does not record its name it was simply known as the "dawg". Legend has it that it could smell a Yankee at a 1000 yards, subsequently, it joined many a Reb Marylander who was on sentry duty.

On the third day at Gettysburg 1863 the Maryland Brigade attacked Culp's Hill and the hound rushed to the forefront of the charge barking furiously at the Union front line. When the Yankee line erupted with shell and shot the Confederate Men of Maryland were mown down like scythed hay in a field. After the Rebs were repelled amongst their many dead was their dog painfully whimpering and dying having been perfectly riddled with minies. Union Brigadier General Thomas Kane ordered the brave canine to be honorably buried.

DSC00095-2.jpg

On the 17th September 1862 at the Battle of Antietam the 2nd & 6th Wisconsin (part of the Iron Brigade) were ordered to advance through the North Wood towards the inferno of the cornfield. Amongst the many Union combatants who fell during that dreadful day was one Captain Werner von Bachelle of the 6th Wisconsin. The French born officer had brought his faithful dog to war with him and the small mongrel ran beside him until the Captain fell mortally wounded by a Confederate minie ball.

The next morning, as the Union soldiers went to recover their dead and wounded, the little dog was found lying very close to Bachelle's body. Faithfully guarding his master even in death.

DSC00006-10.jpg

Probably the most famous of all civil war dogs was Sallie who had been presented to the 11th Pennsylvania infantry as a puppy and was much loved by the men of the old 11th as she endured the long tedious marches, the heat, cold and wet camp life and the many battles the regiment was engaged in. Sallie was said to hate three things "Rebels; Democrats and Women". She became a real comrade-in-arms so much so that when the regiment encamped and she had settled down outside Company A Sergeant Albert Carter's tent it became de riguer for every duty officer to enquire on Sallie's welfare.

DSC000202-3.jpg

This ritual also spread to the various battalion commanders who would ask "And how is our Sallie tonight?". She served faithfully with the 11th until February 1865, two months before the war ended. At the battle of Hatcher's Run, Virginia she was found on the battlefield shot through the head. A detachment of soldiers, with tear stained eyes buried her there.

DSC00020-3.jpg

Visitors to the Gettysburg battlefield will find a statue commemorating the heroic dead of the 11th Pennsylvania as they drive through Doubleday Avenue. The figure of a soldier atop the monument faces the field, not the road. Invariably very few visitors bother to get out of their cars to examine the entire monument.

If they did, they would find another statue at the bottom of the front base-that of a small, brave dog called Sallie.

sallie-w-seal-wp1.jpg

Reb

Bob, once again you have provided us on the forum a great story line and a fabulous series of photos to go along with it. Great subject matter, masterfully told and presented . . . .
:smile2: Mike

This is probably the best you've done. I like thematic ideas and hope you do more of them. Well written and very well executed :smile2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back