The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Great pictures and story line as always Reb. I guess we know your opinion on the need for "dead and wounded" figures as discussed in a recent thread.

Regards
Kirk

Bob,

I am so glad you updated your ongoing thread with another installment!! Great work as always and thanks for the education on the "Confederate Alamo".

I can't tell you how much I enjoy and look forward to seeing your work!

Mark

Excellent work as always Bob, superb groundwork in your diorama, plenty of action too, superb........

Rob; Both Mikes; Martyn; Joe; Kirk; Mark; Alex; George-Many thanks for all your kind comments and pleased you enjoyed the show.

Only problem is I'm running out of war-the next episode will be the conclusion to this saga.

Thanks again

Bob

Rob; Both Mikes; Martyn; Joe; Kirk; Mark; Alex; George-Many thanks for all your kind comments and pleased you enjoyed the show.

Only problem is I'm running out of war-the next episode will be the conclusion to this saga.
Thanks again

Bob

Bob, shame to hear this but this thread has been running for nearly as long as the real event. Two thumbs up (at least) {bravo}}{bravo}}

Jeff

Thanks again

Bob

Say it ain't so !

Bob, is there any lesser known engagements you could go back and do? You have a hooked audience here that would make JK Rowling jealous!{bravo}}

Rob

Bob, is there any lesser known engagements you could go back and do? You have a hooked audience here that would make JK Rowling jealous!{bravo}}

Rob

Thanks Rob.........Well I could open a request log :eek:

Thanks Rob.........Well I could open a request log :eek:

Now there is a good idea! Will have to do some research and put forward some ideas. Not for a second suggesting the following was obscure, far from it, but did you do scenes from the Wilderness Bob? I find the bitter fighting in these wooded areas fascinating and pretty horrific , I understand bodies still turning up to to this day much like the Somme and Ypres.

Rob

Now there is a good idea! Will have to do some research and put forward some ideas. Not for a second suggesting the following was obscure, far from it, but did you do scenes from the Wilderness Bob? I find the bitter fighting in these wooded areas fascinating and pretty horrific , I understand bodies still turning up to to this day much like the Somme and Ypres.

Rob

Yeah! Go back about 30 odd pages in the diaries and you'll find the Wilderness battle-The gunfire was so intense it set fire to the scrubland and literally burnt to death hundreds of wounded Rebs & Yanks who didn't have the strength to get away from the flames.

One Union soldier wrote in 1887 (20 odd years later) that he went to bed every night still hearing the screams of the wounded as they were burnt alive in that God awful Wilderness fight.

Yeah! Go back about 30 odd pages in the diaries and you'll find the Wilderness battle-The gunfire was so intense it set fire to the scrubland and literally burnt to death hundreds of wounded Rebs & Yanks who didn't have the strength to get away from the flames.

One Union soldier wrote in 1887 (20 odd years later) that he went to bed every night still hearing the screams of the wounded as they were burnt alive in that God awful Wilderness fight.

Thanks Bob, will go back and check them out.

I knew there was something about a fire in the Wilderness but couldn't remember what, sounds terrible and in fact reminds me of the no mans land in Gallipoli that also caught fire trapping and burning wounded from both sides.

Rob

Thanks again

Bob
Bob, this is great stuff. Can't stop production because of a little thing like the war ending in the EAST. There was a whole war in the WEST that is screaming for your special treatment. Shiloh, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville, and plenty of others.:wink2: -- Al

Reb always a treat to view another of your fine posts! Would love to see a few pictures of you setting up the scenes so members could see the amount of work that goes into your wonderful posts!

Lee's retreat west from his Petersburg lines to Appomattox took a little over a week. Cut off from his supplies by Union cavalry the remnants of his army slowly stumbled through the wooded countryside. Continually pausing to fight off infantry pressing him from behind and Sheridan's cavalry harassing his flanks.

DSC00041-5.jpg

In the rear of his column he could hear the sound of gunfire as Longstreet's men fought a rear guard action against Ord and Smith's Corps.

One single Corps of Grant's army had more men than Lee had now in his entire ANV.

DSC00052.jpg

General John B Gordon sent a courier to Lee informing him that he had failed to break through Sheridan's cavalry & massed artillery to his front a mile from Appomattox Court House
He added that his Corps "had been fought to a frazzle"

DSC00039-3.jpg

Indeed Sheridan's orders to his Brigade Commanders- which included Custer- were "If the Rebel army refuses to surrender-Annihilate them!"

DSC00043-4.jpg

Lee knew now he was surrounded on three sides and that his exhausted army could not go no further. In a copse of trees on the north bank of the Appomattox River the tired old general called his last war council. No tongue or pen would ever be able to describe the anguish of Lee's remaining commanders as they looked into the face of their beloved leader and heard him say with a faltering voice that convulsed with grief

"There is nothing left for me but to see General Grant...............and I would rather die a thousand deaths"

DSC00021-6.jpg

The next morning when Lee emerged from his tent on his way to meet Grant he was wearing a new dress uniform with sash & sword.
One Confederate Lieutenant would note in his diary "General Lee looked magnificent"

DSC00010-1.jpg

Under a flag of Truce Lee, accompanied by his aide Lt Col Charles Marshall, accepted the quite generous terms given to him by Grant.
The Army of Northern Virginia was officially dissolved on the 9th April 1865.

Appomattox is historically regarded as the end of the Civil War, though in fact it was the surrender of only one army.

DSC000062-2.jpg

On the 12th April 1865-Four years to the day since the shelling of Fort Sumter had opened the hostilities-the survivors of the ANV stacked their arms, tenderly folded their red battle-flags. And with burning tears finally laid down their torn, battle-worn, blood stained colours.

Through the devastated countryside Lee's valiant men began the long walk South back to their homes

DSC00012-5.jpg

"There once was a land of Cavaliers & Cotton Fields called the Old South.......Here gallantry took its final bow.........

DSC00006-8.jpg

Look for it now only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered. A Civilisation...........gone with the wind"

DSC00009-5.jpg

FIN

Fantastic series of dios to finish on Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

I hope this doesn't mean Bob that we won't see you around these parts. However, if it's the end of this series, you've gone out with a bang, particularly the last scene, very well put together.

It was the end of the fighting but not really the end of the War, was it :wink2:

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back