The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Here's the latest addition to my ever expanding ACW collection WB Fight for the Works III. This specially commissioned set and the two previous releases-to my knowledge- have never crossed the pond to be sold in any of the UK dealerships. Subsequently, I must thank with all sincerity my very good forum pal "Buster" for ensuring that this UK Rebel has received all three sets over the past year or so.

Much like other froggers on here I too have been fortunate to have met and cemented some exceptional relationships with a fair number of Brit & US members of this forum. Their considerate and genuine friendship never ceases to amaze me.

"Buster" thank you again for your benevolence and generosity-you sir are a true officer and a gentleman.

The three Fight for the Works sets when placed together certainly make for an interesting small vignette

However, positioning a few more Johnny Rebs in support of their three colleagues- which also fills the gaps behind the hasty works- now adds another dimension to the scene

Now place a passel of Black Hats in opposition and the action begins to heat up

Extending westwards by adding another section of hasty works begins to give the scene more of a panoramic scope.

Finally throw in another dozen or so Iron Brigade figures and those boys in butternut sure now have one hell of a fight on their hands

Bob

I can not quite place my finger on it, but this is my favorite scene from the hundreds you have done!
Rgds,
Sandor :salute::

Luvely Jubbly Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

That Buster is a Top Geezer ^&grin :salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Bob, I was wondering where you might be! Now I knows - working magic with figures and that camera of yours! :wink2: ^&cool

{bravo}} {bravo}} {bravo}}

Jeff :salute::

Glad to see you putting those sets to great use, love the panoramic shots, the more figures, the better is my motto.

Your groundwork and trees are exceptional; I am sure they cost a pretty penny, but they look great in your scenes.

Does anyone know if these sets are meant to depict a specific battle, they look great displayed next to each other for sure................

Outstanding, as always, Bob. Really like the way the desperation of hand-to-hand combat is conveyed. Your photographic angles just put the chaos in the viewer's face. -- Al

Outstanding, as always, Bob. Really like the way the desperation of hand-to-hand combat is conveyed. Your photographic angles just put the chaos in the viewer's face. -- Al

I'm with Al, exceptional, as usual.^&cool^&cool

Glad to see you putting those sets to great use, love the panoramic shots, the more figures, the better is my motto.

Your groundwork and trees are exceptional; I am sure they cost a pretty penny, but they look great in your scenes.

Does anyone know if these sets are meant to depict a specific battle, they look great displayed next to each other for sure................

South Mountain?

Fantastic work Bob, sublime artistry with a sharp eye for realism in every dept and keen sense of drama. It's easy to tell the hours of work and preparation that go into these scenes ^&cool Best thread on the forum:salute::

Rob

Does anyone know if these sets are meant to depict a specific battle, they look great displayed next to each other for sure................[/QUOTE]

South Mountain?

George

Would have to agree with Fub's answer. The clue/evidence lies with the three IB figures all wearing white gaiters. The now famous IB uniform was introduced by John Gibbon when he took over command of the brigade in May 1862 which included the Black Hardee hat and the white leggings. After Lee's Maryland Campaign in September 1862- where Gibbons Brigade fought fiercely at South Mountain (where they earned the name Iron Brigade) and Antietam-they had to have their uniforms replaced and the white gaiters were not reissued. They had proved unpopular with the regiments partly because they soon became filthy and when cleaned, quickly deteriorated. These white leggings/gaiters are not depicted in available photographs of the regiments during this period but they are certainly mentioned in Rufus Dawes's diary as being issued to all the men. Included in one of his entries is a description of a prank played by the men on their commanding officer when they put two pairs of their white leggings on his horse. Photographs of the Iron Brigade from late 1862 through 1863 show none of the soldiers wearing said gaiters.

Guys thank you for all your kind comments very much appreciated

Bob

It's always worth the wait UKReb to see what you have in store for us from your Diaries an once again another outstanding presetatio my friend..........Joe:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute::

I have all three of these sets myself Bob, and I whole hardly agree with you . . . . they're outstanding. Although I do not believe they were sculpted with any particular battle in mind, I can see where South Mountain pops into our heads. As you have mentioned, the gaitors on the Iron Brigade fiures certainly indicate circa 1862. I beleive Ken Osen told me he sculpted these to purposely go with the available "Hasty Works" accessory sets. He also told me at this years Chicago show that he envisioned the "Devils Den" rocks and boulders for use with the Hasty Works set. As a member at one time of the Iron Brigade Association and Company K of the 2nd WI Volunteer Infantry Regiment (re-enactors) I can remember the hastle these gaitors would give us, and yes they quickly got very dirty and did not stay white for very long. Its no wonder that by early to mid 1863 they were no longer apparent within the ranks. As always, great photography of your exceptional ACW collection . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Fantastic work Bob, sublime artistry with a sharp eye for realism in every dept and keen sense of drama. It's easy to tell the hours of work and preparation that go into these scenes ^&cool Best thread on the forum:salute::

Rob

Absolutely!

Bob,

Did my old fading peepers spot in latest Toy Soldier Collector a three page spread of your Fredericksburg winter dio? Fantastic work mate and a well deserved recognition of your superior diorama skill. :salute::

Rob

Bob,

Did my old fading peepers spot in latest Toy Soldier Collector a three page spread of your Fredericksburg winter dio? Fantastic work mate and a well deserved recognition of your superior diorama skill. :salute::

Rob

Hopefully that will be transferred into buying G&T's at the London show! :wink2: ^&grin

Jeff :salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back