"The Zulu War" (5 Viewers)

Your welcome Martyn and thanks Bob for the kind words they means alot coming from you. Doctored an older photo of mine which was enhanced by Alan Chrithley of the Rorke's Drift VC Forum which highlights an event that may have taken place on the field of Isandlwana on that faithful date of 22 January 1879.............The Lt.

Battle-2.jpg

Now that is another great picture Joe {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers mate

Martyn:)

Your welcome Martyn and thanks Bob for the kind words they means alot coming from you. Doctored an older photo of mine which was enhanced by Alan Chrithley of the Rorke's Drift VC Forum which highlights an event that may have taken place on the field of Isandlwana on that faithful date of 22 January 1879.............The Lt.

Battle-2.jpg
Great picture. Very POV. Looks like the correspondent must have been with Wardell and H Co., right near the wagon park, judging from the position of the "sphinx". :wink2: -- Al

Joe, you've really captured the final moments of the battle. You can really see the waves of Zulu warriors coming over the horizon. May be the best scene of the battle to date. Well done. Chris

There is certainly a good selection of figures available for the Zulu war collector now. Metal and plastic all mixed together make a great looking dio. ^&cool ^&cool

Jeff

029.JPG023.JPG019.JPG008.JPG007.JPG

Hi Friends,

I have to hand this to John ( Obee for us here)......
I bought some very old cast STADDEN soldiers in the UK and send them over to John.....he made miracles to them....most are from the Zulu war period, and some are from the Sudan campaign....congrats to John!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:{sm4}:salute::

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Friends,

I have to hand this to John ( Obee for us here)......
I bought some very old cast STADDEN soldiers in the UK and send them over to John.....he made miracles to them....most are from the Zulu war period, and some are from the Sudan campaign....congrats to John!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:{sm4}:salute::

016.JPG013.JPG006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for your comments on the photo and Artillery-crazy thanks for joining in and featuring your photos.

I happen to run across a few vintage newpaper photo clippings from an mysterious Zulu War Photographer and thought I'd share them with you.............The Lt.

r93ct-20120506021936.jpg

3y2srp-20120506014440.jpg

cgfc35xs-20120506014753.jpg

lyav5zb-20120506014619.jpg

4edvzptn-20120506014921.jpg

c8kzvba2lw-20120506021830.jpg

The Battle of Gingindlovu April 2nd 1879

At daybreak on 2 April 1879, the morning sun revealed a muddy and sodden ground and a heavy mist. Chelmsford could not move his wagons until the ground dried out, and so sent out the Natal Native Contingent to provoke the Zulus into an attack while he held a strong position. Once the mist lifted, the left horn of the impi was seen advancing eastwards over the river towards the British laager before disappearing into tall grass. A long burst of fire from one of the Gatling guns saw the warriors disappear into the long grass. When the left horn re-emerged it had joined the rest of the impi and the left horn, chest and right horn were advancing over Umisi Hill. The whole charging buffalo formation came in at a run on the three sides of the laager. This was the scenario Chelmsford had planned for, at a range of between 300 and 400 yards (300 to 400 m), the British infantry opened fire, supported by the Gatling guns and rockets. Zulu marksmen caused a few casualties within the laager, but the defenders kept the Zulus at bay and Chelmsford's defence was working. Though the Zulu regiments made persistent rushes to get within stabbing range, their charges lacked the drive and spirit that had pushed them forward at the Battle of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. After 20 minutes, the Zulu impi began to crumble away. Seeing this, Chelmsford ordered pursuit by the mounted troops and the native contingent. Large numbers of Zulu warriors were killed in this chase. By 07:30, the Zulus had fled and the grim task of killing Zulu wounded was undertaken.

1012-2.jpg

1024-1.jpg

022-5.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

The Battle of Gingindlovu April 2nd 1879

At daybreak on 2 April 1879, the morning sun revealed a muddy and sodden ground and a heavy mist. Chelmsford could not move his wagons until the ground dried out, and so sent out the Natal Native Contingent to provoke the Zulus into an attack while he held a strong position. Once the mist lifted, the left horn of the impi was seen advancing eastwards over the river towards the British laager before disappearing into tall grass. A long burst of fire from one of the Gatling guns saw the warriors disappear into the long grass. When the left horn re-emerged it had joined the rest of the impi and the left horn, chest and right horn were advancing over Umisi Hill. The whole charging buffalo formation came in at a run on the three sides of the laager. This was the scenario Chelmsford had planned for, at a range of between 300 and 400 yards (300 to 400 m), the British infantry opened fire, supported by the Gatling guns and rockets. Zulu marksmen caused a few casualties within the laager, but the defenders kept the Zulus at bay and Chelmsford's defence was working. Though the Zulu regiments made persistent rushes to get within stabbing range, their charges lacked the drive and spirit that had pushed them forward at the Battle of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. After 20 minutes, the Zulu impi began to crumble away. Seeing this, Chelmsford ordered pursuit by the mounted troops and the native contingent. Large numbers of Zulu warriors were killed in this chase. By 07:30, the Zulus had fled and the grim task of killing Zulu wounded was undertaken.

1012-2.jpg

1024-1.jpg

022-5.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Excellent post LT - good to see something other than Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift

Look forward to the next episode.

Gazza

Excellent Joe {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

I've been waiting for this, as you know this is one of my favourite AZW battles:salute::

Cheers mate

great pictures and an especially great little bit of history...thoroughly enjoyed the read...very nice Joseph...

Joe great shots

Assume they were taken straight out of the London Illustrated News ^&grin

Bob

Interesting story to excite the imagination and enhance the layout of the figures you have presented Joe. You are ever trying for something different. Cheers, Robin.

Crank that handle!.....^&cool

Nice one Joe and I'm sure there will be more to come....{sm3}

Jeff

Thanks Gazza, Martyn, Michael,Bob, Robin and Jeff as the event as photograph continues on the field of Gingindlovu.

1008-3.jpg

016-6.jpg

1019-2.jpg

1019-1.jpg

1009-3.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

The Relief Column will soon be on their way to Eshowe by the looks of things {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back