Things that annoy me (1 Viewer)

Interviewing baseball players while they are playing. I don't watch a lot of baseball but was amazed that they are doing this. Imagine Ted Williams or Mantle talking to reporters during a game. A Yankees outfielder was responding to some inane question about his facial hair last night and then had to dart off chasing a ball hit into the corner. Unreal.

I have said the same thing about College Football, the Coaches are subjected to that last minute interview prior to kick-off, always thought is was the absolute dumbest idea. Like they really at that point want to provide a soundbyte. Stupid.
TD

They do this in golf broadcasts, too, though not during the action like baseball does. Players carry a Bluetooth and talk while they walk from one shot to the next, or one hole to the next.

We have to face it, this is where we are, in our short-attention span adolescent society. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

This may sound political, but in reality, it is not. It is a true annoyance that celebrities and sports stars think we are all idiots, and their political endorsements mean something. I mean really, it is insulting. Everyone has a right to think whatever they want to, why is this "news"? I don't mean this other than what I posted and am not trying to violate the rules of the forum, I just think it is idiotic that this makes front page news.

TD

This may sound political, but in reality, it is not. It is a true annoyance that celebrities and sports stars think we are all idiots, and their political endorsements mean something. I mean really, it is insulting. Everyone has a right to think whatever they want to, why is this "news"? I don't mean this other than what I posted and am not trying to violate the rules of the forum, I just think it is idiotic that this makes front page news.

TD

It's funny when movie stars are interviewed about candidates. It must be for the younger voters who care about that. I remember LeBron lecturing about Sino-US relations, foreign policy expert that he is. :rolleyes2:

It's funny when movie stars are interviewed about candidates. It must be for the younger voters who care about that. I remember LeBron lecturing about Sino-US relations, foreign policy expert that he is. :rolleyes2:

Many celebrities and privileged individuals live within a bubble in which everyone shares the same cultural and political world view and, of course, they are surrounded by sycophants who never tell them differently. So they feel emboldened to espouse any manner of nonsense believing wrongly that everyone in the world thinks the same way they do because they are not exposed to any contrary view. Then they are shocked and offended to learn that people exist who don't agree with them. These folks are also not impacted by their own opinions. They live in gated mansions with private security. There are no homeless people or crime in their neighborhoods. They can say anything without it affecting their situation. Other people have to suffer the consequences.

People who get out of their cars at national parks and approach a herd of bison to take pictures. Or even selfies. If there is any more evidence needed of the dumbing down of our society, this is it.

I believe that's called "culling the herd" ..... of stupid humans, of course!
^&grin

As for so-called celebrities and their opinions, I sincerely hope that all who have threatened to leave the country if a certain person is elected that they REALLY do so this time ..... and good riddance!!!!!
B.

Dallas may be the worst team to ever play in the NBA finals. They are awful. Any contending NBA team from the 1980s would roll either of these teams. What an embarrassment for the NBA to have this pitiful series.

Dallas may be the worst team to ever play in the NBA finals. They are awful. Any contending NBA team from the 1980s would roll either of these teams. What an embarrassment for the NBA to have this pitiful series.

LOL!!

Even more pitiful than..................the Heat, that made it last year and got rolled by Denver?

Yeah, one whole year since a shittier team got to the finals.

The Celtics would not get rolled by any of those 80's teams, totally different brand of basketball, they just set a franchise record with 10 strait playoff wins, they are 7-0 on the road in the playoffs this year, 15-2 overall. They've held Denver to under 100 points in all three games, this was a team that scored over 100 in 13 of their previous 17 playoff games.

They ought to build a statue of Luka outside the stadium whining to the refs; he's an annoying pain in the *** tub of goo crybaby, can't play defense to save his life, initiates contact constantly, he could have been called for 10 fouls last night.

If they hold on and win this series, they will be one of the greatest NBA teams ever, an opinion shared by several NBA talking heads, they have 2 HOF players and play other worldly defense when they have to.

Last edited:

TD

The real issue here isn't that they have opinions, but that they believe they are unassailable, and can't take it if anyone calls them out or disagrees. As Combat noted, they live in a bubble and aren't used to hearing "No". We have a right to free speech, but we don't have a right not to be challenged. But you have to be an adult to understand that. Most celebrities, entertainment or sports, are overgrown adolescents.

Prost!
Brad

LOL!!

Even more pitiful than..................the Heat, that made it last year and got rolled by Denver?

Yeah, one whole year since a shittier team got to the finals.

The Celtics would not get rolled by any of those 80's teams, totally different brand of basketball, they just set a franchise record with 10 strait playoff wins, they are 7-0 on the road in the playoffs this year, 15-2 overall. They've held Denver to under 100 points in all three games, this was a team that scored over 100 in 13 of their previous 17 playoff games.

They ought to build a statue of Luka outside the stadium whining to the refs; he's an annoying pain in the *** tub of goo crybaby, can't play defense to save his life, initiates contact constantly, he could have been called for 10 fouls last night.

If they hold on and win this series, they will be one of the greatest NBA teams ever, an opinion shared by several NBA talking heads, they have 2 HOF players and play other worldly defense when they have to.

Didn't the Heat beat this same Celts team last year? Dallas is awful. It is not the fault of Boston that they got a cupcake. Winning is winning. No way, though, this team could beat the great 80s Celts teams. This Boston team has several good players and they are well coached. More like a college program than modern NBA in that regard. They actually sometimes play defense and the ball movement is outstanding. But could they beat Bird, Parish, McHale etc.? No way. That was a great team with several HOF players. Both the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup could end in a sweep.

Didn't the Heat beat this same Celts team last year? Dallas is awful. It is not the fault of Boston that they got a cupcake. Winning is winning. No way, though, this team could beat the great 80s Celts teams. This Boston team has several good players and they are well coached. More like a college program than modern NBA in that regard. They actually sometimes play defense and the ball movement is outstanding. But could they beat Bird, Parish, McHale etc.? No way. That was a great team with several HOF players. Both the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup could end in a sweep.

The Celtics team that lost in the ECF last year had Marcus Smart who made terrible decisions in tight games, Brogdon who was hurt, Rod Williams who was playing on one leg and Grant Williams, a nice role player, but nothing more, this team shitcanned them and added KP and Holiday.......Holiday is an oustanding defender and playmaker, KP when healthy is a great rim protector/shot blocker and scorer, this team is light years better than last years team.

You play who you play, Dallas was lucky to play OKC and Minnesota, OKC was young and Minnesota was gassed after playing/beating Denver, had the Celtics played Denver, it would have been a 7 game war.

Don't screw around, win it tonight and end it, although I see the NBA has called in Foster to ref tonight's game, nickname is "the series extender" so we'll see how things shake out.

A friend of mine sent me this email; this sums up how Celtics fans feel;

"Every few weeks there's been a new boogey man for the Celts:

At the beginning of the season it was Giannis and Dame that was going to totally own the Celtics.
Then the rejuvenated Sixers.
Then the up-and-coming Knicks.

When the playoff started, good golly you had to watch out for the Heat. They had the Celtics number!
Then it was the frisky Cavs.
Then the Pacers were going to give them a go.

While in the West no one was going to topple the reigning champs, the Nuggets.
Until someone did and then the Celts couldn't stop the next Michael Jordan and the TWolves.
Then it was the Mavs with the greatest back court in history. Why, the Celtics would be lucky to get two points off this budding dynasty.

I get that saying the Celtics are really good and they look tough and almost unbeatable might be boring to 95% of the country, but good lord the amount of gymnastics that people do NOT to say that is amazing. If you have even the slightest amount of memory, it just makes people look really dumb."

Oh and BTW, was Kyrie wearing moccasins the other night, he's nuttier than a Grandmothers Christmas gift fruitcake, Luka can't play defense to save his life and all he does is whine and complain, I thought Tatum was bad, this guy takes whining to performance art level........................

Last edited:
The Celtics made history; one of the biggest blow out losses in NBA finals history.

GJGE.

They were totally outclassed from start to finish, laying a colossal egg. Give Dallas credit, they smoked the Celtics.

They had better get their heads and ***** wired together ASAP and close this out Monday.

If not.............................oh boy.

The Celtics made history; one of the biggest blow out losses in NBA finals history.

GJGE.

They were totally outclassed from start to finish, laying a colossal egg. Give Dallas credit, they smoked the Celtics.

They had better get their heads and ***** wired together ASAP and close this out Monday.

If not.............................oh boy.

Florida also lost in a blowout after being up 3-0. Fodder for the conspiracy theorists. It was hilarious to see the media crucify Luka after the first three games and then praise him after one win. Dallas is toast.

Just like I can't see Florida blowing their series after being up 3-0 and suffering a blowout loss from an outside perspective, i can't see the Celtics blowing their series after being up 3-0 after a blowout loss from an inside perspective.

I'm fully confident the Celtics coaches saw what Dallas did and will make the necessary adjustments.

One thing I did notice is the Dallas big men with KP once again out where contesting 3 point shots and denying drives to the basket and Luka and another smaller defender were around the rim, we'll see what the Celtics do to counter that if that is their strategy in game 5.

I went to game two of the Calder Cup today. The place was rocking. 10K fans. Great game. Fast paced. Must win for the Bears and they got a great game from Hunter Shepard. Series is tied 1-1. Going back to California for the next three games.

Just like I can't see Florida blowing their series after being up 3-0 and suffering a blowout loss from an outside perspective, i can't see the Celtics blowing their series after being up 3-0 after a blowout loss from an inside perspective.

I'm fully confident the Celtics coaches saw what Dallas did and will make the necessary adjustments.

One thing I did notice is the Dallas big men with KP once again out where contesting 3 point shots and denying drives to the basket and Luka and another smaller defender were around the rim, we'll see what the Celtics do to counter that if that is their strategy in game 5.

George:

Great post.

I also think the Celtics played like a team that did not need to win and Dallas played like a team that had to. Mazzulla (an underrated coach) will have them ready for Game 5.

As far as the Panthers/Oilers go, a sweep was not as inevitable as most people thought. There has not been a sweep in the Stanley Cup Final since 1998. Florida might lose one more but I think that is it.

-Jason

$20 to park at the arena for the AHL game yesterday. Last year I think it was $12. This is also the same parking area for Hersheypark. The charge to park there was $35! I can't image that parking rates are the result of inflation since there is almost no cost associated with a parking lot.

People who give me an essay question answer to a @#$%^& yes or no question.

Prost!
Brad

And while I'm at it, here are a couple more, some words that are frequently mispronounced, particularly by people who talk for a living:

It's "lackadaisical", not "laxadaisical", "pundit", not "pundint" or "pundent", and "lambaste" is pronounced with a long a, "lam-bayst", not "lam-bast". It's pronounced like "to baste", to cover and recover a piece of meat with a liquid during roasting.

But who knows? If we survive another hundred years, those might become accepted pronunciations and spellings.

One step closer to Eloihood. I'd rather be a Morlock.

Prost!
Brad

Oh, and a PS:

Past tense of cast, put, cut is not formed with the -ed suffix. These are strong verbs, or irregular, if you will.

Today I cast some figures, yesterday I cast some others, and I have cast them in the past.
Today, the barber cut my hair. A month ago, he cut it, and over the past he has cut it monthly.
Today, I put my figures away, yesterday I put some away, and I have put them away in the past.

And while I'm at it, here are a couple more, some words that are frequently mispronounced, particularly by people who talk for a living:

It's "lackadaisical", not "laxadaisical", "pundit", not "pundint" or "pundent", and "lambaste" is pronounced with a long a, "lam-bayst", not "lam-bast". It's pronounced like "to baste", to cover and recover a piece of meat with a liquid during roasting.

But who knows? If we survive another hundred years, those might become accepted pronunciations and spellings.

One step closer to Eloihood. I'd rather be a Morlock.

Prost!
Brad

Oh, and a PS:

Past tense of cast, put, cut is not formed with the -ed suffix. These are strong verbs, or irregular, if you will.

Today I cast some figures, yesterday I cast some others, and I have cast them in the past.
Today, the barber cut my hair. A month ago, he cut it, and over the past he has cut it monthly.
Today, I put my figures away, yesterday I put some away, and I have put them away in the past.

Unfortunately, proper grammar and word usage is on shaky ground in some areas. I blame this, in part, on texting and social media where people abbreviate words, such as using “u” for “you” and so forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back