Things that annoy me (2 Viewers)

My former school USC is requesting donations this week from the alums. Keep in mind this is a school that charges $60K tuition to its students each year. They also have hundreds of millions in endowments but are requesting monetary donations. Even $2. You can't make that up. Imagine how far my $2 donation would go these days in LA? Shameless. Of course, I'm sure USC is not alone in this endless campaign of academia for wealth. Meanwhile they fail to educate any of the students and cater to the whim of radicals. But they are asking for donations like a charity. LOL.

And while I'm at it, here are a couple more, some words that are frequently mispronounced, particularly by people who talk for a living:

It's "lackadaisical", not "laxadaisical", "pundit", not "pundint" or "pundent", and "lambaste" is pronounced with a long a, "lam-bayst", not "lam-bast". It's pronounced like "to baste", to cover and recover a piece of meat with a liquid during roasting.

But who knows? If we survive another hundred years, those might become accepted pronunciations and spellings.

One step closer to Eloihood. I'd rather be a Morlock.

Prost!
Brad

Oh, and a PS:

Past tense of cast, put, cut is not formed with the -ed suffix. These are strong verbs, or irregular, if you will.

Today I cast some figures, yesterday I cast some others, and I have cast them in the past.
Today, the barber cut my hair. A month ago, he cut it, and over the past he has cut it monthly.
Today, I put my figures away, yesterday I put some away, and I have put them away in the past.

That's interesting, it's pronounced Lambast in Australia and the UK, one of many Anglicised words. I recently had a debate with a neighbour over the pronounciation of Soffit, which I was painting, she insisted that it's pronounced Sof-feat not Sof-fit, and couldn't be convinced otherwise.

That's interesting, it's pronounced Lambast in Australia and the UK, one of many Anglicised words. I recently had a debate with a neighbour over the pronounciation of Soffit, which I was painting, she insisted that it's pronounced Sof-feat not Sof-fit, and couldn't be convinced otherwise.

That makes sense, if it's pronounced with a short a in the rest of the Anglosphere, but I hear American broadcasters pronouncing that way, too. An affectation, perhaps, or perhaps they've only heard Commonwealth denizens use the word. The rule that a final e lengthens the vowel in that syllable holds up here: lambaste, like baste, paste, waste, race, face, lake, game, and so on. Understood that there are words that are exceptions, usually of foreign origin,

Yeah, here in the US, "soffit" is "soffit", not "soffeet". English borrowed it from the Italian, "soffitto", which is a longer e sound that our short i, so I can see why she might pronounce it that way. Sound pretentious, though.

Prost!
Brad

A PS...

Another example of a difference between American and Commonwealth pronunciation is in the word, "decals", the transfers used with models. I learned from contact with modelers in Canada and Australia that they tended to pronounce the word as "deckles", to the point of writing the word that way in posts online. We tend to pronounce it as "dee-kals", with stress on the first syllable.

"...two people separated by a common language"

Last edited:
That makes sense, if it's pronounced with a short a in the rest of the Anglosphere, but I hear American broadcasters pronouncing that way, too. An affectation, perhaps, or perhaps they've only heard Commonwealth denizens use the word. The rule that a final e lengthens the vowel in that syllable holds up here: lambaste, like baste, paste, waste, race, face, lake, game, and so on. Understood that there are words that are exceptions, usually of foreign origin,

Yeah, here in the US, "soffit" is "soffit", not "soffeet". English borrowed it from the Italian, "soffitto", which is a longer e sound that our short i, so I can see why she might pronounce it that way. Sound pretentious, though.

Prost!
Brad

A PS...

Another example of a difference between American and Commonwealth pronunciation is in the word, "decals", the transfers used with models. I learned from contact with modelers in Canada and Australia that they tended to pronounce the word as "deckles", to the point of writing the word that way in posts online. We tend to pronounce it as "dee-kals", with stress on the first syllable.

"...two people separated by a common language"

Yes a great quote, Australia is somewhere in between the UK and US, we use words etc from both, hopefully choosing the best ha ha. However I have noticed that some words are now pronounced differently here from when I was younger. For example my parents used to pronounce Patio as Pay-She-O and Rodeo as Row-Day-O, now most Aussies would say Pat-E-O and Row-D-O same as Americans.

I discovered from this forum and American TV that Americans have some expressions that seem the opposite compared to Australia. For example 'Lucked Out" to us would meant you were Unlucky, another example is we would say "I just Rememered something" while Americans I believe would say "I just Forgot something".

Climate protestors spray painted Stonehenge.

Just-Stop-Oil-Stonehenge.jpg

A student-run publication at Oxford University reported in 2024 that the school spent £2,487.36 (roughly $3,100 USD) to remove orange paint on the Radcliffe Camera, a famous library, after a Just Stop Oil demonstration.

Climate protestors spray painted Stonehenge.

A student-run publication at Oxford University reported in 2024 that the school spent £2,487.36 (roughly $3,100 USD) to remove orange paint on the Radcliffe Camera, a famous library, after a Just Stop Oil demonstration.

Brain dead pampered pukes, hope their parents are proud of what they've created.
:mad:

B.

All the complaining about the heat. It's summer. It gets hot. The two weeks out of the year when I can use my pool in PA without freezing to death.

I choose to live without air conditioning. I keep my windows open. I do have ceiling fans in several rooms, to circulate air. But I prefer natural air circulation to processed air. I wonder sometimes whether some of the respiratory problems people have today come from having spent so much time in filtered, controlled air, that some have lost the natural tolerance they might otherwise have had.

Prost!
Brad

I choose to live without air conditioning. I keep my windows open. I do have ceiling fans in several rooms, to circulate air. But I prefer natural air circulation to processed air. I wonder sometimes whether some of the respiratory problems people have today come from having spent so much time in filtered, controlled air, that some have lost the natural tolerance they might otherwise have had.

Prost!
Brad

I'm old school but love the A/C. On a day like today, it would be brutal to go without. Not sure how they generate enough power for basically everyone in the country this week to run their A/C nonstop. What amazes me is how cold my pool water stays. It is so cold today that it takes my breath away despite 90+ temps for several days.

Prost!
Brad

{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}
Mark

A number of cold case murders have been solved recently using DNA. Some of the cases date back for decades. That's great but why does it take 20 years to test the DNA and get the results? I can't imagine why that is the case. You might think law enforcement would prioritize resources to test DNA in unsolved murders.

Prost!
Brad

How’s the horse and buggy working out for you?

Brain dead pampered pukes, hope their parents are proud of what they've created.
:mad:

B.

Totally agree mate.......the real problem is the self entitled, brain dead, lunatic's largely get away with this type of behaviour....

People who incessantly talk on their phones in closed in public places.

Bonus annoying points for those that do it via speaker phone.

I was reading the new Osprey Jamestown book and recalled PBS or someone had a Jamestown series. So I gave it a try. Big mistake. It's awful. A soap opera type show. Begins with women arriving in 1619. A quasi-feminist theme develops quickly. One woman is raped by her prospective husband. I thought I was watching True Detective: Night Country for a moment. Just awful. I can't imagine how or why PBS is involved in this mess.

Classless Florida Panthers fans booing the announcement of Conor McDavid winning the Conn Smyhe Trophy.

That victory parade is going to be something; two pick up trucks driving around the stadium parking lot.

The recipe for a Stanley Cup championship; throwing cheap shots everywhere and diving all over the ice.

Reading that LA is considering banning masks in light of the recent violent protests. This after the politicians out there forced people and children to wear masks for years suggesting that anyone who refused was a danger. The wheel has come full circle. I guess COVID is not a thing anymore.

The LA Times is reporting that the average cost of a wedding in California is over $40K. Unreal. A combination of out-of-control inflation and supreme narcissism. Not a healthy sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back