Things that annoy me (5 Viewers)

Brad.
A few years ago I paid a return visit after forty years to Athens and things had certainly changed with all the historical sites being absolutely swamped with visitors, still the advent of much more affordable jet travel has opened up the World to many more tourists and their horizons, though one can have sympathy for locals wanting to push back against those they feel are making their own lives harder, whether it be because of landlords making it impossible for locals to live in their own cities and making them feel like second class citizens in their own country. Then there is the pressure all Western countries are experiencing to some extent with the mass influx of migrants from the third World and the clashnof cultures.
Will be interesting to hear what your impressions are after you visit Spain again.

Doug, et al, not sure if you saw some the same rumblings here in Nashville. The locals don't want the tourists nor the new permanent relocators............wait for it.............A TN state legislator called them racist for these views. As I like to say, you just couldn't make it up if you tried.

Florida has been dealing with this for a bit now - COVID caused a large influx from the North, higher prices, real estate taxes up. Good news for Floridians - the new Floridians are disliking the heat and moving back, I hope they do that is large numbers for when I am ready to relocate, maybe I can afford the real estate then!
TD

Brad.
A few years ago I paid a return visit after forty years to Athens and things had certainly changed with all the historical sites being absolutely swamped with visitors, still the advent of much more affordable jet travel has opened up the World to many more tourists and their horizons, though one can have sympathy for locals wanting to push back against those they feel are making their own lives harder, whether it be because of landlords making it impossible for locals to live in their own cities and making them feel like second class citizens in their own country. Then there is the pressure all Western countries are experiencing to some extent with the mass influx of migrants from the third World and the clashnof cultures.
Will be interesting to hear what your impressions are after you visit Spain again.

Steve,

It’s obviously a difficult situation for the locals as well as the visitors. The key is to find the right mix, which is obviously not easy. My impression is that summer is probably the worst time and it’s better to go in the fall: less people and not as hot. When I lived in Madrid it got incredibly hot from mid July to mid August. I can’t imagine what it’s like now. I haven’t been to Barcelona since 1989 (where I lived as a teenager) and Madrid since 1986 so I know I’m in for a shock.

Brad

Doug, et al, not sure if you saw some the same rumblings here in Nashville. The locals don't want the tourists nor the new permanent relocators............wait for it.............A TN state legislator called them racist for these views. As I like to say, you just couldn't make it up if you tried.

Florida has been dealing with this for a bit now - COVID caused a large influx from the North, higher prices, real estate taxes up. Good news for Floridians - the new Floridians are disliking the heat and moving back, I hope they do that is large numbers for when I am ready to relocate, maybe I can afford the real estate then!
TD
Tom-
I just got back from Nashville. The growth is unreal. A huge influx of people who ironically often bring the failed politics of the states they are fleeing. The real estate prices are unreal. My Grandfather lived in Mt. Juliet, TN for most of his life. I spent a lot of summers in that area back in the 70s and 80s. It is now unrecognizable with the traffic and development. Some changes are for the good, others not so much.

TD
Was stationed in Tampa while in the USAF in the early 90's. We couldn't handle hot & humid 12 mos a yr and moved out as soon as I retired and have never looked back, well okay, there a some days in January. :cautious:

It's been in the low 90's and humid here for a week strait, I can deal with the heat but not the humidity, it's uncomfortable and far from pleasant to be out in.

Reading about millions of people without power in Texas in the midst of a brutal heatwave. It's unreal that in the 21st century we are still dependent on power lines that blow down in storms. It's basically back to the stone age for millions in that circumstance. We spend billions on all sorts of things including endless wars but not to bury the power lines. Even in places that routinely are impacted by hurricanes.

Reading about millions of people without power in Texas in the midst of a brutal heatwave. It's unreal that in the 21st century we are still dependent on power lines that blow down in storms. It's basically back to the stone age for millions in that circumstance. We spend billions on all sorts of things including endless wars but not to bury the power lines. Even in places that routinely are impacted by hurricanes.

I’m surprised they still have above ground power lines in Texas. I expect that in the NE but not in the SW. I remember when electric crews from other states came to help here in NJ during Hurricane Sandy, they couldn’t believe that the power lines weren’t buried. When I drive around our area I see many poles that are leaning and wondering how stable they are.

I’m surprised they still have above ground power lines in Texas. I expect that in the NE but not in the SW. I remember when electric crews from other states came to help here in NJ during Hurricane Sandy, they couldn’t believe that the power lines weren’t buried. When I drive around our area I see many poles that are leaning and wondering how stable they are.
Please do not be surprised at anything when it comes to Texas infrastructure.

We have roads that have been paved and re-paved more times than anyone can count, meanwhile the stoplights above those same roads hang by a dental floss.

Similar situation here in Australia, all power has been underground in new developements for years, older areas retain above ground power as it's expensive to upgrade, especially in urban areas.

Was stationed in Tampa while in the USAF in the early 90's. We couldn't handle hot & humid 12 mos a yr and moved out as soon as I retired and have never looked back, well okay, there a some days in January. :cautious:
My goal is to either live permanently in Florida or Texas (still a fight in the household!) from October thru April. Then spend May, June, July, August and September on the Eastern Shore of MD> Best of both worlds - no income tax, lower cost of living most of the year and a firearms friendly permanent address!!!!!!!!!! In all seriousness, I am awaiting the MD legislature to come up with a partial income tax for non permanent residents..................................................
TD

My goal is to either live permanently in Florida or Texas (still a fight in the household!) from October thru April. Then spend May, June, July, August and September on the Eastern Shore of MD> Best of both worlds - no income tax, lower cost of living most of the year and a firearms friendly permanent address!!!!!!!!!! In all seriousness, I am awaiting the MD legislature to come up with a partial income tax for non permanent residents..................................................
TD
Tom-
If you move to Texas, make sure to buy a good generator! LOL.

The US taxpayers shelled out $230 million to build a pier in Gaza that was only briefly used before falling apart. To the extent any aid was delivered, it was mostly looted and no doubt ended up in the hands of terrorists. U-S-A, U-S-A.

TD
Used to spend part my of summers on Eastern Shore as a kid. Always thought I would own a vacation home around St Mary's and go crabbing in my retirement. Unfortunately, moved away after college and the dream never happened.

I'd give them sfa, you won't get any thanks, or generate change. Same here with our Aboriginies, they're never happy, just expect more governnent money will fix their situation. Hey why not get off your backside and work, you'll feel better about yourself, and make more money. Of course that won't happen, most have become to reliant on government assistance...for generations.

I'd give them sfa, you won't get any thanks, or generate change. Same here with our Aboriginies, they're never happy, just expect more governnent money will fix their situation. Hey why not get off your backside and work, you'll feel better about yourself, and make more money. Of course that won't happen, most have become to reliant on government assistance...for generations.
True words and unfortunately apply the world over. I just cannot fathom why someone would want to rely on handouts. I know there are some down on their luck and a little boost puts them back in action, BUT unfortunately, there are some that would just rather rely on someone else ad infinitum. I just don't get it.

TD

True words and unfortunately apply the world over. I just cannot fathom why someone would want to rely on handouts. I know there are some down on their luck and a little boost puts them back in action, BUT unfortunately, there are some that would just rather rely on someone else ad infinitum. I just don't get it.

TD
It's a vicious cycle, the more you give people, the more they expect it. It's impossible to satisfy an 'entitled' person, wherever they live.

I visited Little Bighorn battlefield a few years ago. One of the park rangers was a Native American employed by the US federal government to work there. He was also a member of the Crow tribe. He was going on and on about the atrocities committed against the Indians. You would have thought he was describing Nazi Germany. The irony that he was getting paid by the US government and that the Crows were often the victims of barbaric violence at the hands of the very tribes that Custer was fighting was apparently lost on him. He refused to even answer questions that were framed in terms of landmarks named after Custer or his troops. It's an unfortunate reality driven by dependence on government handouts that our society has been divided up by race, gender, and income. It's good business to claim that you are a victim. That's not to say that many wrongs were not committed in the past. But no one living today was a victim of those circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back