What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (1 Viewer)

I recently acquired a Luger, a Philippine swivel gun, and a circa 1812 American artillery officer’s saber. I will try to post pictures soon!
Don't let Mayor Bowser find out about your stash or she'll try to take them away.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Don't let Mayor Bowser find out about your stash or she'll try to take them away.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Fortunately, I just finished moving out of D.C.. When I did live there, I registered my fair share of firearms. It was a soul-killing process.

The Luger -- I purchased this from the son of a WWII Coast Guardsman, who says he took it off a U-Boat officer he pulled from the water.

Philippine swivel gun

A fob from a soldier who fought with the 33rd at Seringapatam

An early and very fine drill, likely for trephination, possibly military

A blood stone and silver seal, belonging to a Thomas Walsh, bearing the modern iteration of the Spanish royal seal. Carlos V's original read "Plus Oultre," a vulgar form off the Latin "Plus Ultra," roughly meaning, "Further, beyond." The motto is imposed over the Pillars of Hercules, the moutnains that flank the Straight of Gibraltar.

A carriage clock I purchased on a whim. Actually a very fine 1830-1880 watch movement that has been but in a case.

A model of a Virginia sloop I purchased for $200 at an auction. I think I got a good deal!

A huge painting of a harbor I purchased at an auction.

I always shop around for new talent in the 28mm painting sphere and found this great up and coming young lad from the North of England called Craig who painted these little Caesarian beauties from Warlord Games for £5.50 a piece including assembly and shield transfers using enamels. David from TM Terrain is going to work his magic soon, giving them (and the others that have now been commissioned) a stage on which to perform.

IMG_0255.JPGIMG_0254.JPG

Just made a deal for one of the coolest acquisitions for my WWI collection ever: a WWI 14th New York Infantry Regimental Color:

Attachments

• 14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color.jpg
    14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color 2.jpg
    14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color 2.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color 3.jpg
    14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color 3.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color 4.jpg
    14th Brooklyn WWI Regimental Color 4.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 269
Louis, that is really a unique acquisition. Congratulations on getting it. Original colors are uncommon. -- Al

Louis, that is really a unique acquisition. Congratulations on getting it. Original colors are uncommon. -- Al

Thanks Al!:smile2: It was especially cool because I used to live not far from the "Red Legged Devils" (the nickname for the 14th New York given by Stonewall Jackson at the Battle of Bull Run) Regimental Armory in Park Slope, Brooklyn.^&cool

Last edited:
I picked up a nice WWI German Feldgrau (field gray) Feldmutze (field cap):

Attachments

• Feldgrau Feldmutze 3.jpg
    Feldgrau Feldmutze 3.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Feldgrau Feldmutze 2.jpg
    Feldgrau Feldmutze 2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Feldgrau Feldmutze 1.jpg
    Feldgrau Feldmutze 1.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 222
I also grabbed this Bulgarian or Russian WWI Officer's Cap:

Attachments

• Bulgarian WWI Cap 1.jpg
    Bulgarian WWI Cap 1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Bulgarian WWI Cap 2.jpg
    Bulgarian WWI Cap 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Bulgarian WWI Cap 3.jpg
    Bulgarian WWI Cap 3.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 271
Great caps, Louis. They are in terrific shape, especially considering what they are and their age. The Bulgarian cap is really sharp. --Al

I just acquired this deer antler projectile point to add to my Fort Ancient culture artifact collection. it is about 1.5 inches long. Besides Adena cultural artifacts I also collect Fort Ancient artifacts because the Fort Ancient people were the last indigenous cultural group in the Ohio River valley prior to European contact. The Fort Ancient culture is a Mississippian culture that existed approximately from 1000 A.D. until 1750 A.D. Socketed deer antler tines are a diagnostic artifact of the Fort Ancient culture in Southern Ohio and the other states that border the Ohio River valley. They are commonly found on Fort Ancient sites. Fort Ancient people were one of the few people who drilled antler tines to form antler projectile points (arrowheads). This is a very nice example of the type. The Fort Ancient culture can be divided into Early (1000-1250 A.D.), Middle (1250-1450 A.D.), and Late (1550-1750 A.D.) Phases. It is not believed that they merged into a singular society until close to the end of the Middle Phase. The Fort Ancient culture is also further divided into four distinct local focus variations. They are the Madisonville Focus, the Baum Focus, the Feurt Focus, and the Anderson Focus. This projectile point was found at the Feurt archaeological site in Scioto County, Ohio which consist of three mounds and an associated village site. The Feurt Focus group is dated to the Middle Phase of the Fort Ancient culture making this particular antler point approximately 800 to 600 years old.

:smile2: Mike

MRE FA066.jpg

MRE FA066-3.jpg

Very cool antler projectile!^&cool^&cool I just picked up a WWI Japanese Sergeant's tunic and a WWI French Captain's tunic. Photos to follow shortly.

Very cool antler projectile!^&cool^&cool I just picked up a WWI Japanese Sergeant's tunic and a WWI French Captain's tunic. Photos to follow shortly.

Here are the Japanese and French Tunics (the third tunic in one of the photos with the pillbox hat on top if WWI Belgian Infantry):

Attachments

• Japanese & French Uniforms 1.jpg
    Japanese & French Uniforms 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Japanese & French Uniforms 2.jpg
    Japanese & French Uniforms 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 193
I also recently made an amazing purchase: the trunk of a French Artillery Captain who graduated their military academy in 1902 and served through the end of WWI. The chest contains 5 uniforms (3 dress, 2 field), the dress and field belts and leather pouches etc. which go with the uniforms, two sets of silver spurs, epaulettes, his medals, 53 French Military Maps from WWI, and dozens of photographs from his graduation from the academy through the victory parade at the end of WWI. Here are some photos (I haven't unpacked the trunk yet, but this is what I found when I opened it last night):

Attachments

• French Officer's Trunk 5.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 5.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 163
  • French Officer's Trunk 4.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 166
  • French Officer's Trunk 3.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 179
  • French Officer's Trunk 2.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 205
  • French Officer's Trunk 1.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 187
I also recently made an amazing purchase: the trunk of a French Artillery Captain who graduated their military academy in 1902 and served through the end of WWI. The chest contains 5 uniforms (3 dress, 2 field), the dress and field belts and leather pouches etc. which go with the uniforms, two sets of silver spurs, epaulettes, his medals, 53 French Military Maps from WWI, and dozens of photographs from his graduation from the academy through the victory parade at the end of WWI. Here are some photos (I haven't unpacked the trunk yet, but this is what I found when I opened it last night):
That's a fantastic collection, Louis. A find like that is a collector's dream, all ID'ed and belonging to one man. Congratulations. Just a brilliant acquisition. -- Al

That's a fantastic collection, Louis. A find like that is a collector's dream, all ID'ed and belonging to one man. Congratulations. Just a brilliant acquisition. -- Al

Thanks Al!:smile2: I started to unpack some of the contents last night just to have a look. Here are some photos of the contents (note that the uniforms have both regular pants and jodhpurs for riding):

Attachments

• French Officer's Trunk 12.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 12.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 165
  • French Officer's Trunk 17.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 17.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 189
  • French Officer's Trunk 16.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 16.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 170
  • French Officer's Trunk 15.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 15.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 170
  • French Officer's Trunk 14.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 14.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Some more treasures from the truck:

Attachments

• French Officer's Trunk 6.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 6.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 174
  • French Officer's Trunk 7.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 7.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 191
  • French Officer's Trunk 8.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 8.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 176
  • French Officer's Trunk 9.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 9.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 200
  • French Officer's Trunk 11.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 11.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 184
Here's a field uniform (I think he must have been in North Africa at some point in his career) and some of Captain Veillot's awards:

Attachments

• French Officer's Trunk 20.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 20.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 202
  • French Officer's Trunk 18.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 18.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 212
  • French Officer's Trunk 19.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 19.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 185
  • French Officer's Trunk 13.jpg
    French Officer's Trunk 13.jpg