American Civil War.... (3 Viewers)

Dont falter Rob,just read Matt's "How great i am post" it certainly made me change my mind about First legion,and as to what he may have up his sleeve i can only presume it will be "I can walk on water".I particularily like the "there really isnt even anything close "part,thats the real winner for me.If Matt really cared about his customers/collectors,he should have re read his opening sentence and stopped there "As an MFR" should have read RFR (removed from reality).Hold on to your "no substitute" mantra Rob.I really feel for Mark and David at TMT,i was looking at placing a substantial First Legion order with them,before i read Matt's post,so kudos to Matt for denying two decent guys a good customer. Ken
No offense Ken but I may have seen more unjustified posts here but it would take me a while to find them. If a manufacturer, who is also a collector, is not entitled to share his pride in his work, then what is he entitled to do?:( It is also NOT without precident here. Frankly based what they have accomplished so far, if he told me they were planning on walking on water, I might just ask how.;) It is a pity that you found his well deserved pride objectional. As he said, some might but he didn't say anything at all that many of the rest of us do not agree with in spades. Chose to collect what you like but if you decide to bypass these excellent figures for the reason you note here, it is simply your unfortunate loss.:(

Truthfully, it is great to be proud of your work, but the opening post does come across as bordering on arrogant.

It is easy for me to be objective, b/c I don't care one way or the other. Written communication on a internet forum is an art form that is difficult to master. For those on both "sides" here, just take an objective look and it is easy to see.

I still for the life of me do not understand the incessant tit for tat that goes on between this Company and the Toy Soldier World. It does put people off and I say this from the opinions/conversations I have observed over the last year or so.

I think it would behoove folks to take a look at another manufacturer who has a an issue and self proclaimed title of the "Revolutionary of 21st Century in the Toy Soldier Business" and look what its done to their reputation, it is basically laughable.

Again, i don't really have a dog in this hunt, just posting an objective observance. I am sure meeting Matt in person would be totally different or a live conversation, but the written internet word takes a totally different tone.

Tom

Truthfully, it is great to be proud of your work, but the opening post does come across as bordering on arrogant.

It is easy for me to be objective, b/c I don't care one way or the other. Written communication on a internet forum is an art form that is difficult to master. For those on both "sides" here, just take an objective look and it is easy to see.

I still for the life of me do not understand the incessant tit for tat that goes on between this Company and the Toy Soldier World. It does put people off and I say this from the opinions/conversations I have observed over the last year or so.

I think it would behoove folks to take a look at another manufacturer who has a an issue and self proclaimed title of the "Revolutionary of 21st Century in the Toy Soldier Business" and look what its done to their reputation, it is basically laughable.

Again, i don't really have a dog in this hunt, just posting an objective observance. I am sure meeting Matt in person would be totally different or a live conversation, but the written internet word takes a totally different tone.

Tom

Tom, when you post an opinion, you acquire a dog mate.;) We are all objective subject to the baggage we bring, and we all have it, no exceptions I am afraid. I think you might want to reconconsider your defintion of laughable, it may have a wider perimeter than you might first imagine. Of course I am only giving you my objective observation.:) FWIW, I have some personal history with arrogance and I have found it just fine if you can back it up. It was an old fighter pilot thing and since I am still here, I guess I managed; I think you will find that FL will do the same.;):D

Oh dear,having discovered this thread I'm now thinking of Cavalry,Artillery etc and what Matt has up his sleeve.:cool:

And Bob,if you're reading this mate,I might be bombarding you with ACW questions second half of this year mate;)

Rob

Rob

Yes I'm reading it-ask away anytime you like old mate- although I never in a million years believed anyone could ever prise you- of all people- out of those darn tank turrets of yours-
even be it temporarily:D:D:D

Bob

Rob

Yes I'm reading it-ask away anytime you like old mate- although I never in a million years believed anyone could ever prise you- of all people- out of those darn tank turrets of yours-
even be it temporarily

Bob

:D

Even a dog as old as me can learn new tricks Bob:D.I will also be dipping into Sudan courtesy of JJ and WB this year.As I am heading to Gettysburg later in the year I knew I'd want at least some ACW's and then I saw these brand new FL ACW figs and thought it would be a good series to be in at the start from.I'm bound to want to ask you stuff about it as I understand you have a passing interest in the subject::eek::eek:;)

But don't worry my friend I will always return to my Tank turret:)D)at the moment I'm firmly in my Spitfire Cockpit as I'm buying up the RAF range,70 yrs since we whupped fatso Goerings Luftwaffe and all that;):D

All the best Bob and look forward to seeing you on parade in June mate:)

Rob

Tom, when you post an opinion, you acquire a dog mate.;) We are all objective subject to the baggage we bring, and we all have it, no exceptions I am afraid. I think you might want to reconconsider your defintion of laughable, it may have a wider perimeter than you might first imagine. Of course I am only giving you my objective observation.:) FWIW, I have some personal history with arrogance and I have found it just fine if you can back it up. It was an old fighter pilot thing and since I am still here, I guess I managed; I think you will find that FL will do the same.;):D

I stand by my post and the fact I have no dog here, I also stand by my observation of laughable. I literally laugh out loud whenever I read the "revolutionizing the toy soldier industry posts".

I am not putting Matt in this category, I am only using as comparative purposes. I also believe arrogance is fine, but let's be honest here, FL sells to a select group at this point, they are no where near the other larger makers in volume or longevity. I will not debate "quality" as that is a personal preference and opinion and there is nothing wrong with anyone liking what they buy, you should, you have spent hard earned money, who is anyone to say any different. Point is, in my opinion, arrogance doesn't garner market share for a newer company no matter how good a product is. Again, I am only trying to put a thought out here, it is not a reflection of my own opinion.

Tom

Tom

You could be right Bill but then again I put the high attendance figures down to the possibility of anticipating some fur flying -if you get my drift:D

Bob
Well judging from the off the point inflammatory posts that have and do often surface here you could also be right, unfortunately.:rolleyes:;) Such is the nature of some, whatever the subject.:)

Of course none of that nonsense can detract from the main point of this thread, an announcement and appreciation of a truly revolutionary release of figures for this period.;):cool:

Don't forget Brockenbrough's cursed Virginians! A more poorly-officered brigade never fought in so many tough spots.

Dave
A special interest of mine for many years. Talk about a hard-luck outfit. How in the world does this unit get stuck in such a crucial position with the problems it had? The fog of war is a real nut-cracker. -- Al

Just a follow up to pricing comparisons with FL.
I am in no way saying that FL isnt worth the money. As mentioned in this thread their figures are closer to "museum quality" than the WB, Conte and CS
sets. Generally you can get 10% to 20% off on WB and I am sure that quantity deals can be worked out with the other makers as well.
I have always been able to pick up some good deals at the shows.
So in general I would say that FL will be 40% to 50% higher than those makers and that becomes significant for diorama builders.

I guess if you invested with Goldman Sachs you can afford to go all the way with FL!:p:p:p

Just a follow up to pricing comparisons with FL.
I am in no way saying that FL isnt worth the money. As mentioned in this thread their figures are closer to "museum quality" than the WB, Conte and CS
sets. Generally you can get 10% to 20% off on WB and I am sure that quantity deals can be worked out with the other makers as well.
I have always been able to pick up some good deals at the shows.
So in general I would say that FL will be 40% to 50% higher than those makers and that becomes significant for diorama builders.
I guess if you invested with Goldman Sachs you can afford to go all the way with FL!:p:p:p

Well over here in the UK, the difference is twice as much, ie one (1) FL figure can equate to two (2) WB, CS or JJD figures! :(

Jeff

Well over here in the UK, the difference is twice as much, ie one (1) FL figure can equate to two (2) WB, CS or JJD figures! :(

Jeff

The same here in Canada Jeff, and when you need 4,000 Zulus it makes a big difference :D :D :D

FL sells to a select group at this point, they are no where near the other larger makers in volume or longevity.

Well, obviously I can't discuss our sales volumes and you already seem to know them anyway, but I'd like to address the issue of longevity. We've been doing some analysis on this and we're hoping we'll improve in that regard over time. ;)

And believe it or not, I'm actually a decent guy. Err...wait...I'm the "best" guy, there is no one out there even close to me. :D (see, I can even poke fun at myself, I can't be all bad!)

Hey Matt,

Now you've joined the party can I ask when we may see some more up close pics of the ACW figs?.They are looking very nice:cool::cool:

Rob

Hey Matt,

Now you've joined the party can I ask when we may see some more up close pics of the ACW figs?.They are looking very nice:cool::cool:

Rob

Thanks Rob. We'll probably do it much like we've done it with the AWI - showing a new image every week or so up to the pre-order. Keeps it interesting. The first ACW release will be 22 Confederates of the 55th North Carolina at Gettysburg.

And speaking of AWI, we'll probably show some of the British sculpts in mid-May, right around when we start the pre-order for the Continentals.

Well, obviously I can't discuss our sales volumes and you already seem to know them anyway, but I'd like to address the issue of longevity. We've been doing some analysis on this and we're hoping we'll improve in that regard over time. ;)

And believe it or not, I'm actually a decent guy. Err...wait...I'm the "best" guy, there is no one out there even close to me. :D (see, I can even poke fun at myself, I can't be all bad!)

I'm the "best" guy, there is no one out there even close to me.

Matt, be careful or you going to have another 99 posts of fighting among collectors regarding your comment...

People are very sensible here.

Thanks Rob. We'll probably do it much like we've done it with the AWI - showing a new image every week or so up to the pre-order. Keeps it interesting. The first ACW release will be 22 Confederates of the 55th North Carolina at Gettysburg.

And speaking of AWI, we'll probably show some of the British sculpts in mid-May, right around when we start the pre-order for the Continentals.

Excellent Matt,thanks for your response:).

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back