American Civil War.... (2 Viewers)

These figures will be wonderful for making an impressive show of a confederate attack. Even when you buy them in multiplies you will still not be able to notice it because there are so many different poses.

I like the figure carrying a Mississippi rifle fitted with a sword bayonet. This is so typical of First Legion attention to details. They go the extra mile and sculpture an entirely different rifle for one figure.

King’s Man

If I had to pick an early favorite, sight unseen, it would be the office with the sword. I love the pose and the action.

At last!!Here we have a Company which depicts Confederate soldiers as they really were.What impresses me is the subtle tones in the uniforms,a result of weak dyes oxidising,not bright yellow or dark brown as other manufacturers would have us believe.I am also impressed by the dark blue/grey English jacket and the sky blue Richmond issue pants,(not captured Union items),again something that other manufacturers have failed to pick up on.These have got to be the best Rebs ever released.Well done Matt!!
Jeff

At last!!Here we have a Company which depicts Confederate soldiers as they really were.What impresses me is the subtle tones in the uniforms,a result of weak dyes oxidising,not bright yellow or dark brown as other manufacturers would have us believe.I am also impressed by the dark blue/grey English jacket and the sky blue Richmond issue pants,(not captured Union items),again something that other manufacturers have failed to pick up on.These have got to be the best Rebs ever released.Well done Matt!!
Jeff

I would agree and I am very pleased to see this release. However, I wish the use of large "hobo" patches on repaired uniforms were much less noticeable. The method of mending holes/rips in clothing/uniforms was by placing the patching material on the inside of the piece to be mended and then sewing the damaged material onto the patch. This made a much neater mend and salvaged the integrity of how the garment originally looked. I have seen no evidence of "patch work" on any existing uniforms I have seen in museums, in text books (ie, Echoes of Glory; Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy, et al) or period photographs. The use of garishly colored and large patches (sometimes with nasty looking stitching) is just not accurate.
:) Mike

I just found this existing thread. As a Pennsylvanina native I have visited Gettysburg on many occassions, and I am always enjoying new experiences there. This battle is one of my favorite subjects. It was a potival point in American history. Can't wait to see more releases.

Walt

I would agree and I am very pleased to see this release. However, I wish the use of large "hobo" patches on repaired uniforms were much less noticeable. The method of mending holes/rips in clothing/uniforms was by placing the patching material on the inside of the piece to be mended and then sewing the damaged material onto the patch. This made a much neater mend and salvaged the integrity of how the garment originally looked. I have seen no evidence of "patch work" on any existing uniforms I have seen in museums, in text books (ie, Echoes of Glory; Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy, et al) or period photographs. The use of garishly colored and large patches (sometimes with nasty looking stitching) is just not accurate.

Mike, I agree with you for the most part and we will most likely refrain from doing patches on future rebel figures as we've already had knowledgeable folks such as yourself who we consulted with point this out to us as an issue. For these particular figures, we got that feedback too late and that ship has sailed unfortunately....

That being said, i hope the two patches shown across the 8 figures in the photos below doesn't detract too much from the overall effect! ;) I do agree though, I would prefer them without the patches and we'll certainly address this with future releases.

rebs1.jpg

rebs2.jpg

Mike, I agree with you for the most part and we will most likely refrain from doing patches on future rebel figures as we've already had knowledgeable folks such as yourself who we consulted with point this out to us as an issue. For these particular figures, we got that feedback too late and that ship has sailed unfortunately....

That being said, i hope the two patches shown across the 8 figures in the photos below doesn't detract too much from the overall effect! ;) I do agree though, I would prefer them without the patches and we'll certainly address this with future releases.

rebs1.jpg

rebs2.jpg

Bless your heart Matt. I am so very happy to hear this from you. This is one of the many reasons why I keep coming back to take a look at your product line with the thought of purchasing as soon as they are available. I am looking forward to both your Am Rev War offerings and now the Gettysbutg offerings. Thanks a million for listening to our concerns - you are the best.

My only concern is the drill manual of the troops. Heth's Division was using Hardee's Light Infantry Tactics. If they're advancing into battle, they should be at a proper right-shoulder, which is frequently referred as the "sergeant's carry." If they're charging the enemy, the front rank should be at "port-arms," and the rear rank should be at "secure-arms." Never should the lock-plate be facing the soldier's face. Not trying to be mean or nasty, but just some info for future releases.

Dave

My only concern is the drill manual of the troops. Heth's Division was using Hardee's Light Infantry Tactics. If they're advancing into battle, they should be at a proper right-shoulder, which is frequently referred as the "sergeant's carry." If they're charging the enemy, the front rank should be at "port-arms," and the rear rank should be at "secure-arms." Never should the lock-plate be facing the soldier's face. Not trying to be mean or nasty, but just some info for future releases.

Dave

Fair enough as well, but the single most important issue when we design is the overall effect that we're trying to achieve. As such, we've done them at the "right shoulder shift" that predominates military paintings and is the pose that is best conjured by the imagination when thinking of rebels moving into battle. You can't really get the full effect until we show all 22 figures arrayed together as they were designed to be displayed.

Beyond paintings and books, we were also inspired for this release by the film Gettysburg. If you recall, there is one particular scene where a regiment from Heth's Division is deploying into line of battle from the road while the Union cavalry engage them from behind the fence. They are sort of half on the road and half advancing into an open field through a break in the fence to deploy. I imagine the figures doing something like that as well.

For additional variety, we've added a few slightly more casual figures such as the figure shown with the musket resting over his left shoulder held by both arms. He fits in better marching in road column more than deploying near, or advancing on, the enemy. But again, not everyone is going to use the figures in line of battle and this figure provides an interesting pose and realistic variety for display purposes.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's our vision of what we want to create. In some cases, such as the patches, we agree that perhaps we didn't get it exactly right. In others, such as the posing, we feel we nailed exactly what we were trying to achieve. Whether or not the final result speaks to everyone the way it speaks to us is really beyond our control or concern. All we can do is execute the vision we have and hope that it speaks to most.

Best,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

These figures are beautiful. Best looking Rebs I've seen. And great faces! -- Al

Fair enough as well, but the single most important issue when we design is the overall effect that we're trying to achieve. As such, we've done them at the "right shoulder shift" that predominates military paintings and is the pose that is best conjured by the imagination when thinking of rebels moving into battle. You can't really get the full effect until we show all 22 figures arrayed together as they were designed to be displayed.

Beyond paintings and books, we were also inspired for this release by the film Gettysburg. If you recall, there is one particular scene where a regiment from Heth's Division is deploying into line of battle from the road while the Union cavalry engage them from behind the fence. They are sort of half on the road and half advancing into an open field through a break in the fence to deploy. I imagine the figures doing something like that as well.

If infantry is deploying from column into line of battle, the soldiers move at the double quick and double quick march is done at right shoulder shift. When the soldier gets to his place in line of battle, he goes back to shoulder arms. These figures would be pretty correct for that maneuver.

Thrilled to see these latest batch photographed all together like this. Cannot wait to see the entire release all in one frame now. Absolutely brilliant stuff and cannot wait to take possession of a sampling of these in the near future.

MD

I can't wait to get my hands on these. The paint looks as good or better then I have seen coming out of the Russian studios.

Matt: Twenty two Confederate infantry figures is just incredible. What about the East Cavalry field Rebels? Can we expect at least 8 or more? Mounted or dismounted? I think the volume of informed hobbyists weighing in with tremendous accolades speaks volumes to your endeavour. I would not be the least bit bothered by the patched trouser concerns. At this point it seems a bit trivial considering the depth of the color palette and the splendid quality that the set exudes and we are just getting a taste of the lineup. I am glad you are taking the observations in stride and I sincerely hope that you see this project all the way through to Gettysburg Day 3 when my beloved Rebel cavalry will finally appear attempting to break into the Federal rear only to be repulsed by the Union Cavalry. This whole project put forth by First Legion shapes up to be an epic depiction of one of the most important battles of the American Civil War. Keep the data flowing and keep us informed.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them. Here is the original sized image from our website that shows the figures in a bit more detail. We will show additional figures from the first release over the next few weeks.

55thNC.jpg

Best,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

Matt

For what it's worth I have been waiting maybe a dozen years for figures like this to appear and never really expected it to happen. These in my book do not have the usual TS appearance of my stash of figures as much as I am very fond of some of my existing troops and wouldn't part with them for the world. But this first release of FL Rebs are indeed the Rosetta stone or perhaps a more apt description-the missing link-dioramatists has been searching for to enable them to produce the most realistic/accurate dioramas of the ACW.

Over more years than I care to remember I have either hacked figures apart and converted them to fit exacting poses I needed that just didn't exist in the market or assemble various metal kits and attempt to paint them more accurately to fit the true colors and markings of ACW troops. But methinks those days are finally over and I now will have no need whatsoever to tread that path again.

This means of course I will have to revisit The Battle of Gettysburg in miniature again, subsequently, I already have on my drawing board a few rough sketches of what I plan to build using all of your FL range and I must add with a very large grin on my face the future looks bright. So Matt bring on the war!-as you have a guy here figuratively waiting with Bobby Lee at Cashtown on a beautiful July morning and we can hear the sound of artillery fire coming from the east.

Reb

Fair enough as well, but the single most important issue when we design is the overall effect that we're trying to achieve. As such, we've done them at the "right shoulder shift" that predominates military paintings and is the pose that is best conjured by the imagination when thinking of rebels moving into battle. You can't really get the full effect until we show all 22 figures arrayed together as they were designed to be displayed.First Legion Ltd

Matt,

Fine. I won't argue with your artistic vision, but the soldiers aren't at "right-shoulder-shift."

Here's "right-shoulder-shift arms:"

"210. (First motion.) Detach the piece perpendicularly from the shoulder with the right band, and seize it with the left between the lower band and guide-sight, raise the piece, the left hand at the height of the shoulder and four inches from it; place, at the same time, the right hand on the butt, the beak between the first two fingers, the other two fingers under the butt plate.

211. (Second motion.) Quit the piece with the left hand, raise and place the piece on the right shoulder with the right hand the look plate upwards; let fall, at the same time, the left hand by the side."

"Gettysburg: the Movie" isn't the best place to do your research on the American Civil War. Confederates weren't some ill-trained rabble.

Dave

I would assume that as the Confederate troops were going into battle with shells exploding amid the ranks and countless bullets thudding into them,that their officers would not be too bothered if the lock plates on the rifles were facing up or down,as long as they were was on the right shoulder.After all,it wasn't a dress parade they were on!
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back