Britain's American Civil War (1 Viewer)

Vick I think I will start a series of photos called "Voices from the war". Titus the wagon is a nice piece considering it was made during the "ERTL" years. Joe you would not believe the difficulty I had hooking those tiny little chains up, and yes you are right, it did slow me down from playing with it. Scott the pleasure in sharing is all mine.

A voice from the war:
Private Joseph F. Kauffman, 10th Virginia Infantry, A. G. Taliaferro's Brigade

Pvt. Kauffman of page County, Virginia, was a veteran of the Shenandoah Valley campaign. On August 28, 1862 he was writing in his diary when he was called into action at Brawner's Farm. He was killed during the fighting and a friend returned the diary to his family. His last entry:

"Thursday August 28 - We marched all night and camped in an old field at daylight. I had to go on picket and did not get any sleep. We have been marching and countermarching all day and are now drawn up in line awaiting the enemy's advance. It is now sundown. They are fighting on our right. Oh, to God it would stop."

Private Kauffman listens to the fighting on the Confederate right as his Brigade prepares to enter the action.
PICT0001-4.jpg

Thank you Bill and Joe. Bill, you are right, the WB ACW figures are very versatile. LT, the saga continues:

A voice from the war:
Private Phillip Cheek, 6th Wisconsin, Gibbon's Black Hat/Iron Brigade

The green troops of the 6th Wisconsin advanced to cover the right flank of its sister regiment, the 7th Wisconsin. Private Cheek, from Exelsior, Wisconsin, survived Brawner's Farm and Second Manassas only to be wounded at Antietam in September (1862). He was discharged three months later. He writes this account of his experience and the 6th's "baptism of fire" at Brawner's Farm in his journal -

" . . . . The regiment advanced in line of battle across a field. Soon we heard a rip-rip, but did not fully realize the situation until the boys began to fall. "Halt! Right dress! Ready! Aim! Fire!" and the old 6th gave a volley that awoke a cheer from the other three regiments and a corresponding yell from the other side. And that yell. There is nothing like it this side of the infernal region and the peculiar corkscrew sensation that it sends down your backbone under these circumstances can never be told. You have to feel it, and if you say you did not feel it and hear the yell you have never been there."

Private Cheek and the rest of the 6th Wisconsin fires into the 31st and 61st Georgia regiments of Lawton's Brigade. This was his first shot at the enemy.

PICT0001-3.jpg

Mike

The start of your "A voice from the war" series is excellent, looking forward to what's next:cool:

Cheers

Martyn:)

I can see that you are really enjoying your ACW diorama Mike. Thanks for sharing it with us and providing some great looking pictures.

Have been especially enjoying the Iron Bde. segments, Mike. These are really nice figures to look at I think. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the big 8 piece Keith Rocco set coming out early next year now. :)

MD

I am glad you like this new series I started Martyn - although it's taking a bit more of my time in research to put each one together. Scott, I am having lots of fun doing this. Dave, I have that "big Iron Brigade set" pre-ordered, anxious to get it.
:)Mike

A voice from the war:
Private William A. McLendon, 15th Alabama Infantry, Trimble's Brigade

McLendon enlisted in Abbeville, Alabama, in July 1861. Promoted to sergeant in July 1863, he was elected to the post of lieutenant the following November. McLendon survived the war to be paroled at Appomattox. The following excerpt from his memoir is his impression of the fight at Brawner's Farm on the evening of August 28, 1862:

" . . . . Our march, in line of battle which was preceded by a line of skirmishers, led through this clump of rocky woods until we reached an old dilapidated fence that skirted it on the opposite side. Our skirmishers had halted at the fence and were firing on the enemy, which were only a short distance in front. The space in front was clear, but the night was so dark that the "Boys in Blue" could not be seen or located only by the flash of their guns. My position in line at this fence was in the immediate rear of Alonzo Watson. We were both on our knees, he firing through a crack, and I firing over the top of the fence. I stood as high on my knees as possible in order to rest my gun on the top rail, my left elbow was at one time resting on his shoulder when all at once I heard a "thud" and felt a jar and poor 'Lonzo began to relax and sink, exclaiming in a low tone, "Oh Lordy, I am a dead man." These were his last words, life soon became extinct, but I didn't move but kept loading and firing until the fight was over."

Privates McLendon and Watson firing at the 6th Wisconsin from behind an old fence.

PICT0002-3.jpg

I am glad you like this new series I started Martyn - although it's taking a bit more of my time in research to put each one together. Scott, I am having lots of fun doing this. Dave, I have that "big Iron Brigade set" pre-ordered, anxious to get it.
:)Mike

Me too, me too. :)

MD

It's keeping us both entertained Mike along with others and the research will keep you out of trouble.

Mike I like the new series you are starting. And also very nice pictures! I just picked up that 2 piece set yesterday at a show.

Here's some more entertainment for you Joe and Titus I am glad you like this series i am currently doing on Brawner's Farm - a soldier's perspective wouldn't you say . . . . . . . . . . . Mike

A voice from the war:
Private T. A. Cooper, 60th Georgia Infantry, Lawton's Brigade

As the 60th Georgia pushed forward over the Brawner property and through a "blaze of fire," Private Cooper was struck in the head by a bullet and wandered dazed behind the lines until he was rescued by a passing cavalryman. Cooper deserted from the 60th Georgia near Woodstock, Virginia, in October 1864. This is a part of Private Cooper's written account of that August evening:

" . . . . The enemy had got busy, and seemed a blaze of fire belching from their entire front. Soon the comrade on my right fell, pierced thru the head. Then the comrade on my left was shot thru both arms. Then I was lifted from my feet by a ball hitting me high in the forehead. I aroused to consciousness prone on my face, gun clasped in both hands, and hot blood flowing copiously from my head. I tried to see if I could reach my brains with my finger, finding only the outer strata of skull shattered by a glancing ball. I decided it was no use to die from that, and arose, dizzy, and saw the column busy a few rods in front, while the roar of cannon and musketry was deafening."

As his regiment rushes forward toward the 7th Wisconsin, Private Cooper is grazed by a Yankee ball

PICT0002-4.jpg

Mike....talked to Joe for a bit yesterday...we both commented to each other how nice your new set up is....you made a great investment on it and he did a great job for you...it's really versatile.

I thought I would share with all of you the WB ACW figures I got for my birthday (this past Halloween) :D:D . . . . . . . . . . . . Mike

I received these six figures from my son and two daughters:

WB ACW #31035 & #31042 Together they make a great "Charging Command Set"
PICT0001-4.jpg

WB ACW #17989 & #31012 Together they make a great "Marching Command Set"
PICT0002-3.jpg

WB ACW #31003 & #31005
PICT0003-2.jpg

These two sets I purchased with the cash gifts I received. I bought these from Arquebus Military Miniatures over the weekend during their 30% off sale. I already had these sets but I wanted to duplicate them in order to extend my Confederate firing line. Both sets are retired and hard to find. They were delivered by UPS tonight.

WB ACW #17744
PICT0004-2.jpg

WB ACW #17936
PICT0005-2.jpg

What great thoughtful kids you have Mike. Very nice figures thanks for sharing them with us.

Oooooooh Mike...great pick up and beautiful photos...some of your best....I know the fence isn't a new acquisition...but it goes so well with your sets and groundwork...they did a nice job on it (I have it too).

Aren't B-days fun...hahahahaha.:D

Mike,

Great Birthday presents, they look great in your setups.

Brian

You got great kids Mike.They know what pop likes.:DYou really have an outstanding collection and really great dioramas.
Mark

Nice way to share your birthday present Mike and I'm sure they'll be actively played with.

Thanks you gentlemen:
Vick, Brian, Martyn, and Titus - These figure sets were perfect gifts.
Scott & Mark - My children are just super. I will have to admit that I do drop a lot of "hints" (even been accused of making lists), juist to be on the safe side.
Michael - These photos did turn out well. Strictly accidental, if I knew how I did it I would try to do the same thing all the time :D
LT - You can rest assured that these little guys will get a lot of use.

Here's a photo I took this morning using my new Confederate officer and Color Seargent.

The Advance

PICT0001-13.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back