Britain's American Civil War (1 Viewer)

Glad you enjoyed both your coffee an the picture early this morning Mike I know I'm enjoying both the pictures and tale being told of the battle of Brawner's Farm.

Mike....gotta tell you again....while your new custom table is gorgeous...I'm really impressed with your hand painted backdrop...keep up the good work.:cool:

Mike, I must agree with the comments made already, your setup is excellent and your photographic skills are excellent. I look forward to see your growing collection.

Brian

I agree with everyone else. Really awesome mike. Most of my figures arrived yesterday so eventually I will get to taking some pics.

Jake, Joe, Michael, Brian and Titus - I am glad you have enjoyed the pictures and my somewhat splintered story line on the fight at Brawner's Farm.

6:00 p.m., August 28, 1862
The First Division (Brigadier General Rufus King), Third Army Corps (Major General Irvin McDowell), Army of Virginia (Major General John Pope) was on the march proceeding east on the Warrenton Pike towards Centreville to link up with the rest of Pope's army in an effort to find Stonewall Jackson. King's First Brigade (Brig Gen John P. Hatch) of New Yorkers were in the lead and was already at Groveton about one mile east of Brawner's Farm. Then came the Fourth Brigade (Brig Gen John Gibbon), the Second Brigade (Brig Gen Abner Doubleday) and lastly the Third Brigade (Brig Gen Marsena R. Patrick).

Slightly less than a half a mile in length, Gibbon's Fourth Brigade of western troops was passing by the Brawner Farm. The 6th Wisconsin led the column, followed in turn by the 2nd Wisconsin, the 7th Wisconsin, and the 19th Indiana. Captain Joseph Campbell's Battery B, 4th US Artillery, brought up the rear of the brigade. Ambulances and ordnance wagons followed their respective regiments.

Shortly after 6:00 p.m., Hatch's Brigade was fired upon by Lt. Asher W. Garber's Staunton Battery of four 6-pound smoothbore cannons. Almost immediately there after, from the heights behind the Brawner farm house, the Confederate Danville Battery (Capt George Wooding) fired upon Gibbon's Brigade with one 3-inch ordnance rifle and one 10-pound Parrott rifle. It also opened up on Doubleday's Brigade with its two 6-pound smoothbores.

Believing that they were being fired upon by a single battery of horse artillery, Gibbon orders the 2nd Wisconsin, his only combat veterans, forward to silence the battery and hopefully to capture it. Thus the battle of Brawner's Farm begins.

Colonel Edgar O'Connor leads the 2nd Wisconsin forward to "Capture the Guns"

PICT0001-1.jpg

Mike

Thanks for the history lesson of Brawner's Farm must admit although knowing it was part of Phase Two of Second Manassas I did not know the detail you have supplied-I have tended to concentrate two days later at Chinn Ridge after Jackson's boys decimated 10,000 Federals at Deep Cut and then Lee unleashed Longstreet on Pope's left flank-battle over!

Great dio and photography.

Reb

Thank you Reb - glad you have enjoyed my tale of Brawner's Farm thus far.
Mike

About 6:15 p.m. August 28, 1862

Wooding's Danville Battery was piling the men of Gibbon's and Doubleday's brigades right and left upon the Warrenton Pike. "Some dropped down; others rushed forward upon those in advance, while others still were inclined to turn back", was the way one man remembered the scene. Finding shelter from the Confederate shelling was the immediate concern and so both brigades sought refuge in the Brawner's woods. As they disappeared behind the trees, the Confederate gunners switched their fire to Patrick's brigade of unseasoned New Yorkers. The southern artillery quickly had the corrrect range and the men of Patrick's 21st, 23rd, 35th, and 80th New York regiments were thrown into a great confusion. Panic set in and Brigadier General Patrick was mortified to see his brigade flee to the west back down the Warrenton Pike. Patrick did not engage his brigade the remainder of the fight.

The 80th New York flee as Confederate artillery shells begin to fall

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

Once again very nicely done Mike with the photos bringing to life the event.

The "history lesson" is not finished yet Titus.

Sunset, approximately 6:40 p.m., August 28, 1862

The 2nd Wisconsin moved at a double quick until they emerged from the woods into the open fields where they slowed to quick time and deployed into line of battle. The flank companies, A and B, were sent out as skirmishers at a double-double-quick. The main line of the 2nd followed their skirmishers over the crest and onto the top of the ridge in front, just in time to see their comrades returning on the run. In the distance, Rebel infantry poured out of the woods. JACKSON! The elusive Jackson was not at Centreville, but right here and coming at them! William Baylor's Stonewall Brigade moved forward to attack the single Federal regiment. Thus began a slug fest between two of the most famous brigades in the entire Civil War, the Iron Brigade and the Stonewall Brigade. The toe-to-toe contest of will and discipline, sometimes less than 70 yards apart, would not stop until it was to dark to continue, about 8:10 p.m.

The 2nd Wisconsin stood their ground boldly on the high ground

PICT0001-2.jpg

The Stonewall Brigade filled the air with the "sharp scream and whirring buzz of darting balls"

PICT0002-2.jpg

Glad you are watching Michael.

UPS just delivered this little "goodie" to my door about an hour ago :D. Its Wm Britain #17571 Federal Ordnance Wagon. Made by Wm Britain/ERTL RC2, released in 2005 and was retired/discontinued in 2006 when Wm Britain merged with 1st Gear. One of the nicer sets produced by WB/ERTL. First two images are of Don Stivers paintings of ordnance wagons in use. The remaining photos are of my new set. Hooking all the chains together was a test of patience :eek:

Typically each infantry regiment had two ordnance wagons assigned to them for the transportation of ammunition, rifles, ordnance parts, etc.
Mike

Making repairs after the battle of Gettysburg
ordnance.gif

Delivering ammunition to the Iron Brigade, July 1, 1863 Gettysburg
ordnance2.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

Mike, Enjoying watching your play time and can't wait to see what you come up with next!:cool:

Vick

Looks good Mike! I have this Wagon also, just have not taken it out of the box yet. Looking forward to more.

Nice addtion to your ACW collection to support your Yankee trooper and photos. Bet you would have tied or beaten me in getting it in from of a camera if it was the challenge of hooking the chains.

Vick I think I will start a series of photos called "Voices from the war". Titus the wagon is a nice piece considering it was made during the "ERTL" years. Joe you would not believe the difficulty I had hooking those tiny little chains up, and yes you are right, it did slow me down from playing with it. Scott the pleasure in sharing is all mine.

A voice from the war:
Private Joseph F. Kauffman, 10th Virginia Infantry, A. G. Taliaferro's Brigade

Pvt. Kauffman of page County, Virginia, was a veteran of the Shenandoah Valley campaign. On August 28, 1862 he was writing in his diary when he was called into action at Brawner's Farm. He was killed during the fighting and a friend returned the diary to his family. His last entry:

"Thursday August 28 - We marched all night and camped in an old field at daylight. I had to go on picket and did not get any sleep. We have been marching and countermarching all day and are now drawn up in line awaiting the enemy's advance. It is now sundown. They are fighting on our right. Oh, to God it would stop."

Private Kauffman listens to the fighting on the Confederate right as his Brigade prepares to enter the action.
PICT0001-4.jpg

The "history lesson" is not finished yet Titus.

Sunset, approximately 6:40 p.m., August 28, 1862

The 2nd Wisconsin moved at a double quick until they emerged from the woods into the open fields where they slowed to quick time and deployed into line of battle. The flank companies, A and B, were sent out as skirmishers at a double-double-quick. The main line of the 2nd followed their skirmishers over the crest and onto the top of the ridge in front, just in time to see their comrades returning on the run. In the distance, Rebel infantry poured out of the woods. JACKSON! The elusive Jackson was not at Centreville, but right here and coming at them! William Baylor's Stonewall Brigade moved forward to attack the single Federal regiment. Thus began a slug fest between two of the most famous brigades in the entire Civil War, the Iron Brigade and the Stonewall Brigade. The toe-to-toe contest of will and discipline, sometimes less than 70 yards apart, would not stop until it was to dark to continue, about 8:10 p.m.

The 2nd Wisconsin stood their ground boldly on the high ground

PICT0001-2.jpg

The Stonewall Brigade filled the air with the "sharp scream and whirring buzz of darting balls"

PICT0002-2.jpg
Another set of educational and impressively displayed and photographed scenes Mike. These just keep getting better. Certainly you are showcasing the beauty and versatility of these Britain's ACW figures. Keep them coming mate.

Vick I think I will start a series of photos called "Voices from the war". Titus the wagon is a nice piece considering it was made during the "ERTL" years. Joe you would not believe the difficulty I had hooking those tiny little chains up, and yes you are right, it did slow me down from playing with it. Scott the pleasure in sharing is all mine.

A voice from the war:
Private Joseph F. Kauffman, 10th Virginia Infantry, A. G. Taliaferro's Brigade

Pvt. Kauffman of page County, Virginia, was a veteran of the Shenandoah Valley campaign. On August 28, 1862 he was writing in his diary when he was called into action at Brawner's Farm. He was killed during the fighting and a friend returned the diary to his family. His last entry:

"Thursday August 28 - We marched all night and camped in an old field at daylight. I had to go on picket and did not get any sleep. We have been marching and countermarching all day and are now drawn up in line awaiting the enemy's advance. It is now sundown. They are fighting on our right. Oh, to God it would stop."

Private Kauffman listens to the fighting on the Confederate right as his Brigade prepares to enter the action.
PICT0001-4.jpg

Missed this earlier Mike and again another enjoyable chapter in the Brawber's Farm Saga. Private Tasker's poses of the 24th Ft. is a sure ringer of Private Kauffman.

Thank you Bill and Joe. Bill, you are right, the WB ACW figures are very versatile. LT, the saga continues:

A voice from the war:
Private Phillip Cheek, 6th Wisconsin, Gibbon's Black Hat/Iron Brigade

The green troops of the 6th Wisconsin advanced to cover the right flank of its sister regiment, the 7th Wisconsin. Private Cheek, from Exelsior, Wisconsin, survived Brawner's Farm and Second Manassas only to be wounded at Antietam in September (1862). He was discharged three months later. He writes this account of his experience and the 6th's "baptism of fire" at Brawner's Farm in his journal -

" . . . . The regiment advanced in line of battle across a field. Soon we heard a rip-rip, but did not fully realize the situation until the boys began to fall. "Halt! Right dress! Ready! Aim! Fire!" and the old 6th gave a volley that awoke a cheer from the other three regiments and a corresponding yell from the other side. And that yell. There is nothing like it this side of the infernal region and the peculiar corkscrew sensation that it sends down your backbone under these circumstances can never be told. You have to feel it, and if you say you did not feel it and hear the yell you have never been there."

Private Cheek and the rest of the 6th Wisconsin fires into the 31st and 61st Georgia regiments of Lawton's Brigade. This was his first shot at the enemy.

PICT0001-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back