Britain's American Civil War (2 Viewers)

You are all too kind; Joe, Michael, Titus, Martyn, and Jake.

Wm Britain #31051 "Chosen Ground" depicting the 2nd Wisconsin during the 1st day of Gettysburg (release date of 2/2010) has caught my eye. The 2nd was part of the famed Iron Brigade, the "Black Hats". Anyway I was thinking on how I could use these Iron Brigade figures with my Shenandoah Valley figures. It dawned on me last night - The Battle of Brawner's Farm, August 28, 1862. This was the prelude to 2nd Bull Run (August 29-31, 1862) and basically pitted Jackson's Stonewall Brigade against Gibbon's Iron Brigade. Jackson's troops were just coming from the Valley Campaign and had just captured a tremendous amount of Union supplies at Manassas Junction. The Union army under Pope was still trying to catch the elusive Jackson. The Iron Brigade was part of this attempt and on August 28th they were Marching east down the Warrenton Pike toward Manassas. Jackson was laying in wait just north of the Pike on property owned by John Brawner. His farm house was west of Jackson's position just off the Warrenton Pike. The ensuing battle lasted several hours during the afternoon and evening, only stopping because of darkness. Both sides suffered approximately 1300 casualties each. There was no definitive "winner".

Not only will the Iron Brigade figures and the Stonewall Brigade figures work accurately in this scenario, but my current diorama bases (and future planned bases) will also work. My farmstead area could be the Brawner Farm, and the main road on the bases could be the Warrenton Pike.

Working on this idea I re-arranged some scenics last night and set up the "Black Hats" that I do have. These pictures show Company B, 2nd WI being supported by a gun from Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery. I will be expanding on this idea as I gather more Iron Brigade figures and additional diorama bases.
Mike

PICT0002B.jpg

Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery was assigned to the Iron Brigade for support and fought side-by-side with them in every battle the Brigade was involved

PICT0001C.jpg

PICT0001A.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

UPS delivered this little guy to me last night direct from Wm. Britain. It is one of the 2009 Collector Club exclusive sets #50005C Confederate NCO - a very well done piece and a nice addition to my ACW collection . . . . . . . Mike

PICT0001-12.jpg

PICT0002-12.jpg

PICT0003-10.jpg

PICT0004-6.jpg

Nice addition to your Rebel forces Mike and thanks for sharing him with us.

Thank you Vick and Joe. This is what's happening "down on the farm" this morning Scott.

Continued working on the idea of using my scenic bases as the foundation for the Battle of Brawner's Farm (8/28/1862 - prelude to 2nd Bull Run). This battle included southern troops from Virginia, Georgia, and Alabama, and northern troops from Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and New York. It pitted two famous brigades, the Stonewall Brigade and the Iron Brigade in basically a toe-to-toe slug fest. Although it only lasted a little over two hours, the casualty rate inflicted on the combatants were some of the highest in all of the ACW. At times during the battle the opposing sides were less than 70 yards apart blazing away at each other with their muskets. The 2nd Wisconsin lost 297 out of 430, the 19th Indiana lost 260 out 423, the 7th Wisconsin lost 220 out of 440. The Virginians of the Stonewall Brigade lost over 300 men out of less than 800. The 26th Georgia lost 74% of its men. Trimble's Brigade, only engaged for one hour against the Federals, lost 350 men - more than a third of the brigade. The 21st Georgia lost 76% of their men - only the 1st Texas at Antietam would have a higher casualty percentage during the entire war, 82.3 percent.

This might have been a small battle in comparison to many during this turbulent time in America's history. The total number of casualties (approximately 1300 each for both sides) may be insignificant when compared to battles such as Shilo, Antietam or Gettysburg. But I assure you the fighting at Brawner's Farm was some of the fiercest in the entire war - two hours of hell on earth.

Here are a couple of photos - a panaramic view if you would - of my attempt this weekend to give the feeling of what was occuring on the Union left flank during this battle . . . . . . . . . . Mike

In the upper left hand corner, "green" New York troops of Patrick's Brigade panic and run as they are fired upon by Confederate artilley. Disrupted, they flee backdown the Warrenton Pike and do not engage the enemy. In the middle left, elements of the 76th New York of Abner Doubleday's Brigade move east along the Warrenton Pike to fill a large gap that is between the 6th and 7th Wisconsin. They will loose a 100 men in their support of the Iron Brigade. In the lower part of the photo, the 2nd Wisconsin engages the Virginians of the Stonewall Brigade commanded by Colonel Wm. Baylor just east of the Brawner farmhouse. On the far right of the photos, Wm.Taliaferro's Brigade of Virginians and Alabamians, the Confederate's right flank, move through John Brawner's farm yard to envelop the Federal's left flank anchored by the 19th Indiana and the 2nd Wisconsin.
PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

Very nicely done Michael and got a good hunch you'e enjoyed the time spent creating the event as seen. Can we expect to see close up's of the action?

Thank you Titus. Closeups will have to wait until Wednesday night or Thursday morning Joe. I am getting ready to go to LaCrosse, Wi to help my daughter with a few things while my son-in-law is out of town on a business trip. One of the many benefits of retirement - availablility to help when needed :). I'll be back home sometime Wednesday to continue my "playtime" . . . . . . Mike

Have a nice trip Mike.

What a great display, the bases look even better when view from above. The backdrop you painted blends in beautiful with Ken's work. Great stuff, looking forward to more when you return.

Thank you Titus. Closeups will have to wait until Wednesday night or Thursday morning Joe. I am getting ready to go to LaCrosse, Wi to help my daughter with a few things while my son-in-law is out of town on a business trip. One of the many benefits of retirement - availablility to help when needed :). I'll be back home sometime Wednesday to continue my "playtime" . . . . . . Mike

Have a safe trip Mike and enjoy the time spent with your daughter which I'm sure is still Daddy's little girl.

One last picture gentlemen and then I am off on my visit with my daughter, grandson and granddaughter. This is a map of the battle at Brawner's Farm. This will better show the viewer why I have recently realized the similarity of the actual landscape and landmarks to my scenic bases and farm yard :)
Mike

BrawnersFarmAug281862.png

Continuing my visit at my daughter's house. Using her computer to research the Battle of Brawner's Farm. Got very lucky with info found.

The Brawner house was also known as "Douglas Hall" for it was owned by George Douglas. It was built in the early to mid 1800's and (according to A.P. Hill's after action report) was a modest two room farmhouse around which was a barn and several small out buildings.

John C. Brawner (1798-187?) lived there during the Civil War as a tenant of the Douglas family. According to 1850 census records, John was living there as a tenant farmer with his wife Jane (Clark), and his children Mary, George, Martha, Sarah, John, James, Susan, and Charles. That's a lot of people for a two-room house :eek:

John was also listed as a Captain in 1850. No regimental affiliation was listed - I presume he was with the local Virginia state militia. John was 64 at the time of the battle.

His oldest son George (1828-1868) served in Co. F, 17th Va. Inf. during the war. His son James (1836-186?) served in Co. G, 49th Va. Inf and died during the war sometime prior to 1865. His youngest son Charles (1840-?) served in Co. A, 4th Va. Cavalry and was paroled as a POW in 1864. He was still alive in 1880. The other son John died in 1855 prior to the war.

I certainly apologize for my ramblings here this morning. Although I have no pictures to share today of my Wm Britian figures, its because of my fondness for my Wm Britain figures that I have an interest in this period of history. If it were not for my "Britains" I wouldn't be doing this type of research or reading. This information will certainly add another element of interest to my diorama as I continue to expand on it.

Mike

Mike

Since my absence you sure have been bitten hard-just catching up with all your posts that I have missed.......Oh Yeah! and welcome to one hell of a war;)

Reb

Mike

Since my absence you sure have been bitten hard-just catching up with all your posts that I have missed.......Oh Yeah! and welcome to one hell of a war;)

Reb

You are most welcome Scott and Titus. Like I tried to say, the research can be almost as fun as the "playtime" and I enjoy sharing my findings with folks such as yourselves.

Bob it is so nice to hear from you. I am sure that I am not the only one on the forum that was wondering what had become of you. Great to have you back and I can't wait for your contributions to this thread :D
Mike

Yes I have been bitten to. I will be posting pictures soon, just have to wait until most of my boys in blue and Rebs arrive at the door. Then I will have to figure out a diorama.

7:00 p.m. August 28, 1862 Brawner's Farm, Groveton, Virginia

Captain John Pelham of Stuart's Horse Artillery has placed two three-inch ordinance rifles west of the Brawner farmhouse and is delivering enfilading fire into the 19th Indiana, the left flank of Union line. Colonel Alexander G. Taliaferro, commanding the Third Brigade, Jackson Division's (Brig Gen William B. Taliaferro) has sent his two Alabamian regiments (the 47th and the 48th) to support Pelham's guns, while he leads his Virginian regiments (10th, 23rd, and 37th) through the Brawner farm yard in an attempt to outflank the Hossier troops. The English-Italian name Taliaferro was pronounced "Tah' liver" by both Brig Gen W. B. Taliaferro and Colonel A. G. Taliaferro (uncle to the general)

Having his horse shot out from under him, Colonel Taliaferro continues to lead his Virginians on foot

PICT0001.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back