Britain's American Civil War (3 Viewers)

Hello mike
initially a collector of kc, (wwii) i have been hanging my nose over william britains, american civil war for some time now.
For me britains acw is the best there is on the market, maybe kc figures are more refined but the extensive (and still growing) range from wb gives the collector far more chance to build
large battlefield dioramas.
About 6 months ago i succumbed to the temptation and the first
rebels arrived at my door!!, i have been lucky enough to find most of the old sets through 2006 up, and can now start concentrating on the new releases, and then the diorama????, yes i know exactly what i want to build cornfield/road/picket fences....hasty works with union artillery and defenders....
And of course attacking confederate infantry and cavalry!!!!!.
I have made several dioramas in the past for my kc wwii stuff
but i have always skirted around scenes involving long grass!!
And here we come to the point of this mail how did you achieve
the fantastic effect in your dioramas????????? Is it self made or
purchased? How did you make it/where did you buy it??.
Hope you can give me some tips here...in any case thanks for posting the great pics, and giving this new acw collector loads of inspiration!!.....keep up the good work.

Regards aidman....(steve)

Thanks Joe, glad you liked my "GGGrandfather's" photo :D

Hello mike
initially a collector of kc, (wwii) i have been hanging my nose over william britains, american civil war for some time now.
For me britains acw is the best there is on the market, maybe kc figures are more refined but the extensive (and still growing) range from wb gives the collector far more chance to build
large battlefield dioramas.
About 6 months ago i succumbed to the temptation and the first
rebels arrived at my door!!, i have been lucky enough to find most of the old sets through 2006 up, and can now start concentrating on the new releases, and then the diorama????, yes i know exactly what i want to build cornfield/road/picket fences....hasty works with union artillery and defenders....
And of course attacking confederate infantry and cavalry!!!!!.
I have made several dioramas in the past for my kc wwii stuff
but i have always skirted around scenes involving long grass!!
And here we come to the point of this mail how did you achieve
the fantastic effect in your dioramas????????? Is it self made or
purchased? How did you make it/where did you buy it??.
Hope you can give me some tips here...in any case thanks for posting the great pics, and giving this new acw collector loads of inspiration!!.....keep up the good work.

Regards aidman....(steve)

Welcome to the insanity Steve. I agree with you completely on the quality of the Wm Britain sets since they partnered up with First Gear. The accuracy in uniforms are much better and the overall "combat" look of the individual figure is much better. The diorama bases I use exclusively now for the photos I take were custom made for me by Ken and Ericka Osen (Hudson & Allen Studio) whom I think make the best looking grass bases. Ken is also the Wm Britain sculptor for most if not all of the current ACW sets. Ken and Ericka are members of the forum and are very friendly and easy to work with in meeting your diorama needs. You can purchase their premade grass bases through Treefrog Treasures or direct from them. If you desire a bigger base or different terrain features they will do custom work for you also.
Mike

Mike,

The picture did fool me. At the next OTSN we need to hear you give the Rebel Yell as you charge the show floor.

Brian

hello mike...thanks for your speedy reply to my mail. i never realised that ken also dabbled in the diorama world!! i had the priveledge and pleasure to meet and speak with him at the recent london toy soldier show. a very motivated and interesting man, with a truckload of great ideas, and definately a shot in the arm for william britains!!!
we talked for at least 20 minutes, exchanged ideas, i mentioned a couple of wishes, which strangely just happen to be in the pipeline for the coming
newyear, all i can say is its gonna be a year to look forward to for acw
collectors..new and old!!!!!!

happy collecting......steve.

Well I thought I would take some pics of my Civil War figures that I have so far. I am still working on my diorama. These figures are really nice and im happy I decided to collect them again. Quality of the photos are not great but bare with it. More photos will be coming in the future.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0983edited.jpg

IMG_0984edited.jpg

IMG_0994edited.jpg

IMG_0995edited.jpg

Titus...you have a really nice set up and your scenes are very cool...I think your photos are very good and I'm sure they will get even better.

Titus, its been well worth the wait to see photos of your ACW collection. Very, very nice. I see you have the new CSA artillery command set. That one is at the top of my Christmas wish list and I am hoping that within the next 13 days I'll have it :D. It is really great to see someone else's photos and it was certainly a nice addition to my afternoon's activity . . . . . . . . . . . Mike

Titus, its been well worth the wait to see photos of your ACW collection. Very, very nice. I see you have the new CSA artillery command set. That one is at the top of my Christmas wish list and I am hoping that within the next 13 days I'll have it :D. It is really great to see someone else's photos and it was certainly a nice addition to my afternoon's activity . . . . . . . . . . . Mike

Thank you both mikes.:D

Yes I need a little bit more practice with the camera and maybe a little bit more light. Mike the Confederate artillery command set is really nice you will like it. Also not shown in the pictures but I do have the #2 set Return to battery. Next I want to get the Calvary pieces that you have mike,and two other retired sets still to get.

would be a novelty in the series of the American Civil War will be released gatling gun or a mortar of the Union:eek:

Well I thought I would take some pics of my Civil War figures that I have so far. I am still working on my diorama. These figures are really nice and im happy I decided to collect them again. Quality of the photos are not great but bare with it. More photos will be coming in the future.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0983edited.jpg

IMG_0984edited.jpg

IMG_0994edited.jpg

IMG_0995edited.jpg

Glad you did Titus providing us with a nice group of photos and set ups taking them. It's also nice to see you getting in some play time even if it isn't with your ZW figures :D:D:D but I'm sure will see them sometime in the near future. Thanks for joining Mike in the War against the States.

Mike,
That picture of your "grandfather" proves that war is hell.:D:D:D
Mark

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0983edited.jpg

IMG_0984edited.jpg

IMG_0994edited.jpg

IMG_0995edited.jpg

Great pictures Titus

Cheers

Martyn:)

There you go Mike! Column of fours on the road. NICE shots. I like the lighting as well.

Playing around with different lighting this morning. Trying 40W and 60W natural daylight energy saving bulbs in the side lighting I use when photographing my figures. The pictures below were taken with 60W bulbs in the sidelights.
Mike

The 5th Virginia Infantry on the Move in the Shenandoah Valley

PICT0001-19.jpg

PICT0002-17.jpg

Very nice Mike, you are getting real good at this :D Lighting is key in having a good photo I have found. It is not so much about the camera.

Mike...good work on the photos...the lighting is tricky....too little...too much...makes a difference...I like your shots.

Great pictures Mike! Thats my problem with the last photos, I need to practice with the light also a little bit more. My photos where a little bit to dark and I need to find a proper back drop.

Nice seeing you at play again Mike and thanks for sharing your play time.

Thank you Scott, Michael, Titus, and Joe. Playing around a little bit this evening and came up with this amusement :D. This is what happens when you eat . . . . . . .

Too many green apples ;)

PICT0001-9.jpg

PICT0002-7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back