The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

I can't wait to see what you do with the Bloody Angle. That might take some work, but I know you are up to it!!

Grant had briefed Gen John Sedgewick to take his VI Corps and probe Lee's left flank. Grant not only considered him one of his most dependable Corps Commanders but also a close friend. They were both "old army" and had served together in the Mexican/US War as artillery lieutenants.

He was revered by his men who affectionately called him "Uncle John" and there were few in the Union Army who had earned as much respect from their troops as Sedgewick. He could be blunt and profane but the men loved him because he was efficient. Wounded 3 times himself at Antietam he knew how to place his troops where they would do the most good-
and with the least harm to them.

He ordered up his artillery-the 1st Rhode Island Light-to soften up the Confederate front before committing his Corps- known as the Fighting Sixth- led by the New Jersey Brigades.

DSC00007-1.jpg

The large flamboyant Sedgewick arrived to direct his artillery placements upon his proposed line of battle. His was accompanied by his aides and his "war dog" a Chesapeake Bay terrier. No one knew where the dog came from only that it had adopted Sedgewick shortly after the Battle of Glendale in '62-they were now inseparable.

A 1st Division Cavalry Lieutenant whose 2nd Brigade had been holding the line for the previous 24 hours addressed Sedgewick
"General, sir! if I was you I would dismount as over yonder on that tree line are a pack of Reb sharpshooters and we've been dodging their bullets all morning"
Sedgewick ever the inveterate tease replied.
"Dodging Lieutenant? Is that all the First Cavalry do-dodge Reb bullets?"

DSC00032.jpg

The Lieutenant retorted
"General, I dodged a shell once at Gettysburg and if I hadn't it would have taken my head clean off. So yes sir! I believe in dodging-sir!"
Sedgewick laughed
"Very well Lieutenant, but those Rebs couldn't shoot an elephant at this distance".

DSC00037.jpg

But a little less than half a mile away on the tree line a Reb supporting his rifle on a tree stump took a deep breath and a careful aim, slowly exhaled and gently squeezed the trigger.

DSC00016.jpg

Sedgewick still had a smile on his face when the bullet hit him with a sickening "thwack". A small fountain of blood spurted from his left cheek just under his eye and quickly turned into a steady stream spraying the general's glove. With a bemused look Sedgewick slowly fell back off of his horse.

DSC00003.jpg

Pandemonium-Infantrymen from the 1st New Jersey brigade rushed to their stricken commander. One man grabbing the general's startled horse whilst another called back down the line
"Bring up an ambulance and be quick. The Rebs have shot Uncle John"

Sedgewicks terrier quietly lay down close to his fallen master's prone body

DSC00004.jpg

Reb, another great episode! You should look into the sight used for the new
King and Country book. With your great photos, and prose you could certainly put together a wonderful book of your own.

I would bet it would be a big hit!:)

More great set ups Reb. I love the way you use all of the manufacturers, and your own conversions.
As before, I will ask what general infantry or artillery poses would you like to see added to the selections already available?
You know that I try to fill in gaps from time to time depending on when I am brain storming a new line list!
Ken

Another great set of photos and narrative Reb. Keep 'em coming!

Cheers
Simon

Havent logged on in a few weeks but its great to find Reb still posting such high quality pieces to his story.

Grant had briefed Gen John Sedgewick to take his VI Corps and probe Lee's left flank. Grant not only considered him one of his most dependable Corps Commanders but also a close friend. They were both "old army" and had served together in the Mexican/US War as artillery lieutenants.

He was revered by his men who affectionately called him "Uncle John" and there were few in the Union Army who had earned as much respect from their troops as Sedgewick. He could be blunt and profane but the men loved him because he was efficient. Wounded 3 times himself at Antietam he knew how to place his troops where they would do the most good-
and with the least harm to them.

He ordered up his artillery-the 1st Rhode Island Light-to soften up the Confederate front before committing his Corps- known as the Fighting Sixth- led by the New Jersey Brigades.

DSC00007-1.jpg

The large flamboyant Sedgewick arrived to direct his artillery placements upon his proposed line of battle. His was accompanied by his aides and his "war dog" a Chesapeake Bay terrier. No one knew where the dog came from only that it had adopted Sedgewick shortly after the Battle of Glendale in '62-they were now inseparable.

A 1st Division Cavalry Lieutenant whose 2nd Brigade had been holding the line for the previous 24 hours addressed Sedgewick
"General, sir! if I was you I would dismount as over yonder on that tree line are a pack of Reb sharpshooters and we've been dodging their bullets all morning"
Sedgewick ever the inveterate tease replied.
"Dodging Lieutenant? Is that all the First Cavalry do-dodge Reb bullets?"

DSC00032.jpg

The Lieutenant retorted
"General, I dodged a shell once at Gettysburg and if I hadn't it would have taken my head clean off. So yes sir! I believe in dodging-sir!"
Sedgewick laughed
"Very well Lieutenant, but those Rebs couldn't shoot an elephant at this distance".

DSC00037.jpg

But a little less than half a mile away on the tree line a Reb supporting his rifle on a tree stump took a deep breath and a careful aim, slowly exhaled and gently squeezed the trigger.

DSC00016.jpg

Sedgewick still had a smile on his face when the bullet hit him with a sickening "thwack". A small fountain of blood spurted from his left cheek just under his eye and quickly turned into a steady stream spraying the general's glove. With a bemused look Sedgewick slowly fell back off of his horse.

DSC00003.jpg

Pandemonium-Infantrymen from the 1st New Jersey brigade rushed to their stricken commander. One man grabbing the general's startled horse whilst another called back down the line
"Bring up an ambulance and be quick. The Rebs have shot Uncle John"

Sedgewicks terrier quietly lay down close to his fallen master's prone body

DSC00004.jpg

UKReb,

It takes a Brit to have one of the best collections of ACW figures casted in great diroramas. LOL.

"Good Show" and lwe ook forward in seeing some more.

BTW, great blend of different manufacturers figures.

Carlos

Bob, are you using static grass over the bases of your figures? BTW these do not look like they are all Conte, is there a new manufacturer being represented?

Most excellent Bob, one of my favorites to date for sure. I love how you are able to get such variety and utility from your figures by careful placement and camera action. I also love the addition of the dogs to this chapter. While I am a Reb at heart, I couldn't help but feel for poor Uncle John here. Thanks so much for this and the continuing installments; when they arrive it makes tuning in a special treat.:cool:

Very nice job. Hope you continue the story and just not leave it with the death of "Uncle John". Well this inspires me to post a thread on the ACW.

Bob, are you using static grass over the bases of your figures? BTW these do not look like they are all Conte, is there a new manufacturer being represented?

Thanks for all of your kind comments guys-but it's real fun placing the figures into historical scenarios-with a little bit of artistic licence of course;) for example Sedgewick was shot whilst standing but the scene looked better with him falling of his horse. The rest of the episode is fairly accurate according to battle reports-placing his artillery-chiding troops for dodging Reb sniper minies and the "elephant" quote.

Vamp: Yeah! Hairy grass over the bases-bases sometimes can look a little ugly and imposing in a dio-so when I can I disguise them.
And you are also right with this particular chapter I have used different manufacturers quite extensively:
Oryon Cavalry
ONWTC Artillery set
Heritage mounted figure
Conte
Old and new Britains
K&C
The Uncle John figure being hit is an old Britains Bedford Forrest mounted figure converted/painted into a Union general.
As with the dogs which are old lead farm animals and were picked up off Evil-Bay for 99cents then converted/painted to represent Chesapeake terriers.
All in all they can be mixed quite effectively if you take a bit of time with the placements

Thanks again guys much appreciated

Reb

Once again superb work Reb,i marvel at the way you create the pictures and atmosphere that weaves so well with the script.These chapters are so enjoyable and enlightening,thanks for posting and keep up the good work mate.

Rob

Superbe Reb my friend, so goo that yesterday after reviewed your dio, I went rent the movie Cold Mountain

Good photos as usual.

Rod.

On being informed that Sedgewick had been shot Grant rode back alone along the Brock Road to the Union field hospital where they had taken his old friend

DSC00009-1.jpg

As he approached the makeshift hospital he saw Surgeon Major Thaddeus Pierce wiping his bloody hands on a cloth from this mornings grim work on the Union casualties.
Pierce and Grant had known each other from when Grant worked in his father's store in Galena Illinois-consequently in private the difference in rank was not an issue between the two men. Grant reined his horse

"Morning Tad! John Sedgewick?"

DSC00008.jpg

Pierce quietly replied

"I'm sorry Sam he was dead when they brought him here. Head shot-nothing I could do".

DSC000162.jpg

The shock to Grant was severe and he could ill conceal the depth of his sudden grief.
"Are you certain his dead?"
Pierce slowly nodded and said nothing
Grant's expression was now of profound sorrow finally he said
"He was a good soldier. Dependable. Never failed his orders. Single man-never married you know....the army was his life. His loss is as great as the loss of a whole division".
Grant's steed Cincinatti had become unusually skittish and wanted to move. Grant gave him his reins and the horse slowly moved to the right.

DSC00035.jpg

Grant then noticed the cause of the horse's nervousness, behind Pierce was a pile of amputated limbs the blood soaking the ground which had attracted two carrion birds awaiting an opportunity to sweep down on the heap of gore

DSC00034-1.jpg

Grant finally spat

"Dammit Tad! this war is killing every friend I've got"

Pierce nodded again and added

"Me and you both Sam. Me and you both"

DSC000252.jpg

Grant silently wheeled his horse around and Pierce called after his departing friend
"Take care general, those Reb sharpshooters are on a bounty for every Yankee officer they can shoot"

But Grant wasn't listening his thoughts were now on who he could replace John Sedgewick with. Grim faced he rode back to the Union line.

DSC00039.jpg

Great dioramas again Reb.
Who made the figure of Surgeon Major Pierce?
Who made the pile of amputated limbs?
Well done.

Reb,

You are are great storyteller and your setups are wonderful. I look forward to each of your segments.

Brian

Wow Reb, I think this may be your best yet!!!! What a great chapter, I love all the little details. Pierce with his blood soaked towel, the campfire, the barrels, lamps, crates and the birds. Simply amazing Reb AMAZING !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back