The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Amazing indeed Bob. Well portrayed and equally well, if not better, written.

Great scene, great pics, great narrative. As usual Reb.

Many thanks for the continuing history lesson.

Simon

There is much artistry in this my friend. There are so many carefully crafted and evocative little details that make these scenes seem like we are watching from just across the camp site. The lighting, figure choice and placement, accessories and scenery, clever choice of camera angles and depth of field and the photographs themselves all contribute their notes to the gentle harmony that conveys the quiet passion of this compelling exchange. The dialogue is powerful and the actors hit their marks. Bravo mate, Bravo.
clap-1.gif

Last edited:
Reb

Once Again - Out of this World ! :eek:

The scene of a hospital and to have TWO DIFFERENT GRANT'S FOR THE SCENE - Really Cool :cool:

Tip of the Hat - my friend - Tip of the Hat !! ;)

Regards (& waiting with a Johnny Reb Sharpshooter for Grant to come by ! :D ), Ron

Excellent as usual Reb. I am guessing some of these figures are custom or converted possibly? I love how you create great scenes using just a few carefully selected pieces, and the careful planning and familiarity with the subject matter come through in every installment. Thanks for taking the time to share these with us. :)

MD

Reb:

Always a please to see your latest chapter!

It just keeps getting better and better!

Really really good Reb,superb work.This shows even greater depth to your work and also shows a side to warfare we rarely see in dio's.Once again you show that you are not only a master modelmaker but also an accomplished storyteller able to describe emotion and the trauma of warfare through your work.These chapters are so enjoyable,can't wait for the next one.

Rob

Really really good Reb,superb work.This shows even greater depth to your work and also shows a side to warfare we rarely see in dio's.Once again you show that you are not only a master modelmaker but also an accomplished storyteller able to describe emotion and the trauma of warfare through your work.These chapters are so enjoyable,can't wait for the next one.

Rob

I have to admit, Reb, that while the topic is not my favorite due to the fact that all the dead on both sides are Americans, I completely concur with Rob that you are a master storyteller as well as a master diorama builder, and I find myself looking forward to the next chapter with great anticipation.

Once again the master story teller has added another outstanding chapter to his American Civil War Diaries. Both the story line and photos make it a pleasure to view and read. Thanks again Reb for adding another chapter added to the series.........The Lt.

Bob, I think everything that can be said has already - so I'll just say....

Thanks!

Jeff

Reb, A telling tale of the cost of war. Where did you find the spare body parts? Where did you get the idea for this story? How is Mrs. Reb?

UK Reb, simply amazing. Can not say much more than what the others have said. Thx for sharing your amazing talents and always, I look forward to your next installment.

Yours for the Union...

Reb, A telling tale of the cost of war. Where did you find the spare body parts? Where did you get the idea for this story? How is Mrs. Reb?

Guys

Again many thanks for all of your appreciative comments and continuing interest in the story.

Vamp
Just considered a quiet exchange between two men sick to death of the war instead of the usual explosions and mayhem. Grant has had a lot of bad press throughout history as "a butcher of men" whilst Lee has retained his almost untouchable iconic image yet was just as careless with his men's lives. Grant was beside himself with grief when Sedgewick was killed-they were dear friends from the US/Mexican war and Grant considered him the best Corps Commander in the whole Army of the Potomac. Major Surgeon Pierce also knew Grant very well during the time Grant left the US army between the wars when both of them lived in Illinois.

The figure of Pierce is a conversion of the bar-tender from Del Prado's Wild West series and when I first saw him thought he was a dead ringer for either Burnside or Pierce (you find very few bald-headed figures amongst TS's) the pile of amputated limbs are simply a pile of arms and legs from old damaged and now unwanted hollow figures repainted and piled up. The wagon is from Britain's Zulu range with a scratch built square rigged canvas cover to imitate a Union ambulance.

The Army of Potomac lost three Corps Commanders killed in action during the war-Sedgewick was the last-that fact together with the Confederate Corps Commanders losses is a prime example of how some of these high ranking ACW generals always led from the front. The final scene in this chapter I tried to depict the steel hard determination that Grant had to end the war whatever it took-he swiftly buried his grief for his friend and concentrated on who he would replace him with.

Thanks guys
Reb

I loved the picture with the doctor, unbelievable how many figurines with different and specific poses you have....:cool:

The photography is perfect

Rod.

I loved the picture with the doctor, unbelievable how many figurines with different and specific poses you have....:cool:

The photography is perfect

Rod.

I suspect he has his own toy soldier manufacturing plant in his backyard LOL

Wow Bob! Talk about a tug on the old heart strings. Your latest episode is just incredible. Always an enjoyment to read.

Mike

I believe that Bob mentioned somewhere that he has had some custom designed figures made for him?

Jeff

Bob, well, I can’t believe as long as I have been on this forum, that I have never seen this thread. I don’t know how it has ever escaped me. I think this was mostly posted during my hurricane hiatus.

I thought you were only famous for your Deguello.

I just spent the last 5 hours starting at post #1, reading every single entry.

That may sound like I’m a slow reader, but honestly, I drooled over the photos for extremely long periods of time.

I got to tell you, I AM JUST BLOWN AWAY.

I honestly don’t have enough superlatives to really express my feeling on your work Bob.

If Oscars were given on Treefrog for dioramas, you would certainly have swept the field with Civil War Diaries.

I just don’t have the words to comment on how outstanding the story, the figures, the figure posing, the terrain, the photos, the investment, the passion and the amount of time and energy you spent entertaining us means to me.

This was like watching my favorite show on television, but not having to wait a week to see the next episode.

Coupled with the additions of KV and some others, this really has to be the best thread and story I have ever read on Treefrog.

Your work excels all others and is museum quality.

I seriously would pay admission to look at this. You said it was originally 20’ x 10’ and sized down to 10’ x 4’, that is seriously huge.

Honestly, I am floored. Honestly, I am jealous and impressed.

Special kudos to your collection (quantity and variety of poses), photo expertise, story telling and posing in photo shoots.

Your terrain and “smoke effects” are the best, bar none.

All the times that I have heard references like, “So and so is the UKReb of that collector”.

It now makes senses.

Your work is the standard for comparison.

The coolest ever,

Michael

PS…when you have time, will you please tell me who made the tree in posts 360 and 379.

Lee's Headquarters Spotsylvania Tuesday am May 10th 1864

Colonel Taylor enters Lee's tent to inform him that his Division Commanders had arrived for their briefing on the Confederate defense lines.

DSC000152.jpg

The Reb engineers had built their defenses covering Spotsylvania CH. They formed two tangents-a long one opposite the Federal right and a shorter line facing northeast but these two lines did not intersect. Instead they were joined by a great loop of entrenchments that bulged north to cover some high ground. This large salient nearly a mile deep and a half mile wide had been dubbed by the Southern farm-boys "The Mule Shoe".

By military teaching a salient was a difficult position to defend-if this salient could be broken Lee's army would be cut in half.

Lee joined his DC's some already expressing their concerns

DSC00015-1.jpg

Brig Gen James Alexander Walker, whose Stonewall Brigade held a position in the heart of the salient pronounced it
"One of the best lines of temporary field works I have ever seen and if we straighten out our line we will lose the high ground"
But Maj Gen Harry Heth wildly gesticulating disagreed.
" General Lee sir, you being an engineer yourself will immediately notice that it is in fact a wretchedly defective line and I fear that a concerted Union attack on this salient will cleave our army in two"

DSC00027.jpg

The sudden appearance of Maj Gen JEB Stuart paused the heated discussion. This was the first time Lee had seen his cavalry commander since leaving the Wilderness.
Lee smiled and said
"General, Virginia and the army owe you sir a great debt of gratitude for your holding actions at the cross-roads"
Stuart saluted and thanked his commander.

DSC00014-2.jpg

Stuart then added
"General Lee my scouts have reported that there is a demonstration of the enemy's cavalry on the Fredericksburg road about two miles south from here. With your permission I will take my divisions and if it amounts to anything serious I will be sure to inform you"

Lee nodded his agreement.

DSC00026-2.jpg

As Lee watched Stuart ride off a sudden sadness descended upon him and he knew not why. He then shivered slightly as he continued to watch until his young protege disappeared beyond the tree-line.

It would be the last time the old general would see his dashing cavalry commander alive.

DSC00040-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back