The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

Nice work Shiloh and UKREB for posting the slide show and music. I enjoyed viewing the presentation. John

Here with UKReb's permission for your uninterrupted and commercial free viewing enjoyment is his Antietam diorama. I made the slide show so it could be viewed all together. I hope you enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7EQ8VhwPd0

Wasn't aware of the show until a short while ago thanks for the time you both spent on putting it all together and sharing with us. It made my day......The L.

Bob,if you had to pick one Battle from the ACW to create a dio of what would it be?.For me although of course Gettysburg with its round tops and wheatfield and Devil's Den is always popular,there is something about Antietam that tugs at the heartstrings.

Rob

Last edited:
Bob,if you had to pick one Battle from the ACW to create a dio of what would it be?.For me although of course Gettysburg with its round tops and wheatfield and Devil's Den is always popular,there is something about Antietam that tugs at the heartstrings.

Rob

Rob

Difficult question-in my time I have had a crack at most of them with a fair modicum of hits and misses. Each of the big battles were in fact a series of scraps rather than one single battle-most ACW dioramists cover Picketts charge for Gettysburg and the Cornfield or Burnside's bridge for Antietam as all of them would give you a larger scope for troop placement. I must admit although I am currently attempting to depict the key elements of Grant's Overland Campaign you wont see many dios of that as it is viewed by the purists as sheer bloody murder rather than war-sounds a bit of a paradox but the casualties were quite horrendous. Most dioramists that I know just like to depict soldiers advancing or firing in their set-ups and tend to ignore the consequence of those guns.

I always wanted to do a full scale Union attack up Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg one of the few winter assaults in the war-but no manufacturer ever produced the full range of Yanks and Rebs in winter garments-just a couple of sets from Britain's in the late 90's ever hit the market.

Bob

How about the Crater or a cavalry action.Grierson's Raid maybe.
Mark

I like the "mule shoe".......But UKreb you could do some winter action using both the older Britains sets plus the TSSD plastics :).

I like the "mule shoe".......But UKreb you could do some winter action using both the older Britains sets plus the TSSD plastics :).

Yeah! I'm coming up to the mule-shoe in the dio-but how can I as a Brit-Reb sympathizer present the action that finally broke the lines of The Stonewall Brigade? :eek: My Southern colleagues will never forgive me :D

Re TSSD figures-had not considered that being a predominantly metal man-but it's an idea and far better than converting a whole batch of metals into winter garb.

Reb.

Rob

Difficult question-in my time I have had a crack at most of them with a fair modicum of hits and misses. Each of the big battles were in fact a series of scraps rather than one single battle-most ACW dioramists cover Picketts charge for Gettysburg and the Cornfield or Burnside's bridge for Antietam as all of them would give you a larger scope for troop placement. I must admit although I am currently attempting to depict the key elements of Grant's Overland Campaign you wont see many dios of that as it is viewed by the purists as sheer bloody murder rather than war-sounds a bit of a paradox but the casualties were quite horrendous. Most dioramists that I know just like to depict soldiers advancing or firing in their set-ups and tend to ignore the consequence of those guns.

I always wanted to do a full scale Union attack up Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg one of the few winter assaults in the war-but no manufacturer ever produced the full range of Yanks and Rebs in winter garments-just a couple of sets from Britain's in the late 90's ever hit the market.

Bob

Bob

I have always wanted to do the diorama of the Yankees invading the town Fredericksburg - and the Street Fighting that took place after the Union Troops finally got across the River - The town was battered all to H*** by the Union Artillery - it would be a cool diorama of a Civil War "Battle of Berlin" like scene.

But, this action was fought in the Winter and there are no Winter Troops as you said really out there for Union or Confederate - maybe Andy/K&C will pick up on this hole in the Civil War Toy Soldier World and fill it ?

I mean WINTER GERMANS sell very well - why not WINTER REBS and YANKS ? - it could be a big winner. K&C has already gotten out of the box with those great calvary figures coming out - maybe this could be the NEXT BIG RELEASE :D

Ron

Rob
...elements of Grant's Overland Campaign you wont see many dios of that as it is viewed by the purists as sheer bloody murder rather than war-sounds a bit of a paradox but the casualties were quite horrendous. Most dioramists that I know just like to depict soldiers advancing or firing in their set-ups and tend to ignore the consequence of those guns.
That is a fair point. I take it the casualities were much higher on both sides after Gettysburg?

The Crater certainly would be interesting but whatever you come up with will more than dazzle us for sure.

Yeah! I'm coming up to the mule-shoe in the dio-but how can I as a Brit-Reb sympathizer present the action that finally broke the lines of The Stonewall Brigade? :eek: My Southern colleagues will never forgive me :D

Reb.

I wouldnt mind if in your next chapter you started to re-write history. Rebel sharpshooters take out Grant and Sherman is rushed to Virginia. Unfortunately his ship is lost in a storm. The Union Army falls into chaos as Lincoln cant find a suitable replacement. Southern spirits soar and Lee takes the offensive, finally piercing Washington's defenses...

Or you could just omit that particular scene where some imposters took the place of the Stonewall Brigade. Your call :D

Jeff

No not home-made- sometime ago my good lady spotted them in a doll-house shop amongst all the 1/12 scale accessories-on further examination-believe it or not-they actually depict 19th century US Southern States-Authentic or what? :D

Vamp

The hatless Lee I picked up with a similar figure of Grant (both metal) at one of the London shows-no markings but the dealer did tell me they originated Stateside. The mounted JEB Stuart figure you admired is K&C a superb sculpt of the dashing Reb cavalryman.

The rest of you guys many many thanks for your kind comments always appreciated and I now have to design and build the big cavalry fight at Yellow Tavern where poor JEB cashed in his chips. Thanks again

Reb

Bob, it's been nearly a month since the last installment so I am going to have to ask how's it going? apart from slowly :p:rolleyes::D:D

Jeff (Aka Cheeky Sod)

Re TSSD figures-had not considered that being a predominantly metal man-but it's an idea and far better than converting a whole batch of metals into winter garb.

Reb.

NO-ONE is more of a "Southron" than I am Reb and I think you should do it like it happened. You know very well by Spottsylvannia the "Stonewall Brigade" was not nearly what it once was. Add that to the fact that the artillery had been removed, the weather conditions on that morning and the fact that Lee's men still held the ground, it's OK.
I had a Gr. GR. Grandpap and Uncle in "Co. C, 4th Va. Inf. Stonewall Brigade". The really rare thing is they both were present at the formation of the Regiment and were present at Appomattox where they "swallowed the dog" and, they both made it home.

My great grandfather fought in those campaigns too.He joined the 1st NJ Cavalry at age 16 in 1864 and he lived through them dying in 1933.
Mark

NO-ONE is more of a "Southron" than I am Reb and I think you should do it like it happened. You know very well by Spottsylvannia the "Stonewall Brigade" was not nearly what it once was. Add that to the fact that the artillery had been removed, the weather conditions on that morning and the fact that Lee's men still held the ground, it's OK.
I had a Gr. GR. Grandpap and Uncle in "Co. C, 4th Va. Inf. Stonewall Brigade". The really rare thing is they both were present at the formation of the Regiment and were present at Appomattox where they "swallowed the dog" and, they both made it home.

Man that is rare. There could not have been a lot of guys left. I think the only way to volunteer is the belief that you will be one of them.:)

The Crater would be awesome but where do you find enough coloured troops to pull that off? Besides most of the ones made are for the 54th Mass. You could modify them I guess. Would take some work.

An alternative history story ala Harry Turtledove would be neat for poops and grins.:D

Stuart's scouts had reported that Sheridan was moving South with nearly thirteen thousand horse soldiers-three times what Stuart could bring to the field- and were on a direct route to Richmond and the Confederate supply trains.

After hard riding Stuart was now north of Sheridan's left flank at a long abandoned stage stop named Yellow Tavern six miles from the Southern capital. Stuart had spread his men along the rolling hillsides both sides of the road to await the blue column to pass below them hoping he could attack Sheridan's force from two sides.

DSC00042-1.jpg

As he watched the deployment of his troops a scout rode up and confirmed that the Federal cavalry were still moving South.

DSC00012-1.jpg

Suddenly there was a shout from one of Stuart's cavalry officers:

"Sir! they ain't moving south anymore. They are coming right at us"

DSC00092-1.jpg

From the north-west a mile across the field suddenly breaking the tree-line appeared hundreds of Union horse soldiers and just behind them............

DSC00025-1.jpg

......Union Artillery

DSC00008-3.jpg

Sheridan was not moving on Richmond, his prize was not the railroad cars and Confederate supply lines. As Stuart stared out to the heavy wave of blue he thought:

"You are coming after........me!"

DSC00075.jpg

Reb

Great stuff Reb,wonderful use of the mounted figures and as usual fascinating script.Keep it up mate!

Rob

Superb, as usual, Reb :cool::cool::cool::cool: . . . looks like your side is about to lose one of its best leaders

Great stuff Reb,wonderful use of the mounted figures and as usual fascinating script.Keep it up mate!

Rob

Bob, I agree with Rob! :)

Jeff

Btw, are the limbers in the right position? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back