The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Great story but I hate him when he cuts it off ;) The sign of a master storyteller.

Think of it as tough love mate.;):D Actually the alternative would mean we would need to wait a year or so for each posting of multiple chapters. I am not sure how many of us realize how many hundreds of photos are taken to create each chapter; not to mention all the work in planning and set up.:eek: It is rather amazing to me that we get the chapters as often as we do and with as much depth and duration as they have. Besides, the key is that he cuts the story off at a dynamic moment; another sign of a great story teller.:cool: It is like returning to the age of the cliffhanger.;):D

Bob...every picture is a masterpiece...your hard work is my reward...thanks for sharing your great shots and storyline...:cool:

As foretold you posted the latest chapter of your American Civil War Diaries last evening and must say that the figure of Custer appearing in color that you created sure is a spitting image to Randy's photo or should I say his photo is a spitting image to your figure which kicks off the chapter. Once again another outstanding chapter from your diaries brought to life Bob.

As usual you inspire me my intrepid English friend! I think one might have to see the beginning of these diaries to fully appreciate the magnitude of your epic tale. Then there is herculean task of putting it all together. It would make a great toy soldier book or even as a stand alone. I am fortunate to call you friend!:):D

Up to your usual high standards Bob. I think my eyes may pop out of my head when you get to the Muleshoe!!

Now when does the carnage start???? Blood and guts at the Mule Shoe!!!!!!!!!

Guys

As always many thanks for your very supportive comments and suggestions-your continued interest in the thread makes it well worthwhile putting this potted history of the ACW (Eastern theater) together in toy soldier form.

I do have every one of the scenes from Gettysburg to Spotsylvania on disc and am seriously considering doing something along the lines of what Kevin has done with the K&C book-especially after having a long chat with him at the London show. Even though he told me to be prepared to lose money on it I am still fond of the idea of it being a unique way of presenting a history of the struggle between the States and I don't think it's been done before. I could even throw in the Alamo story as a preface or post-script;).

Ed
Your "Mule Shoe" fight is up next and it's big, it's violent and it's bloody-just as you like it:D

Thanks again guys

Brad-Nous Somme Touts Sauvages ? I had convinced myself that that particular diodrama had not drawn that much interest from other froggers and was the reason I cut it short......Hmmmm!

Bob

Guys

As always many thanks for your very supportive comments and suggestions-your continued interest in the thread makes it well worthwhile putting this potted history of the ACW (Eastern theater) together in toy soldier form.

I do have every one of the scenes from Gettysburg to Spotsylvania on disc and am seriously considering doing something along the lines of what Kevin has done with the K&C book-especially after having a long chat with him at the London show. Even though he told me to be prepared to lose money on it I am still fond of the idea of it being a unique way of presenting a history of the struggle between the States and I don't think it's been done before. I could even throw in the Alamo story as a preface or post-script;).

Ed
Your "Mule Shoe" fight is up next and it's big, it's violent and it's bloody-just as you like it:D

Thanks again guys

Brad-Nous Somme Touts Sauvages ? I had convinced myself that that particular diodrama had not drawn that much interest from other froggers and was the reason I cut it short......Hmmmm!

Bob

Great stuff, I'll have the first one then! :cool:

Jeff

Bob

Bob,

Well, here's one person who enjoyed it. Maybe it didn't receive a warm reception because others make up diodramas using Jenkins' figures. Too bad. Wouldn't want you to put the effort in and then not get much of a reaction.

Bob,

Well, here's one person who enjoyed it. Maybe it didn't receive a warm reception because others make up diodramas using Jenkins' figures. Too bad. Wouldn't want you to put the effort in and then not get much of a reaction.

Two! :)

Jeff

I will take one of the Limited Edition hard copy versions......:D

THE MULE SHOE SALIENT-SPOTSYLVANIA-MAY 10th 1864-6.00pm.

Whilst his Confederate colleagues cooked up their mean and meager rations, a sentry peering over the redoubt noticed movement from the tree-line. He called out to the duty officer

"Our pickets are returning Sir!".............Hell No!...... Thems Yankees!"

DSC00058.jpg

With a clattering of discarded tin plates and cups on hearing the regimental drummer boys beating assembly and officers shouts the Georgian troops rushed to their positions at the ramparts.

DSC00008-6.jpg

A key element of the federal attack was that every regimental officer had to know exactly what they had to do. They had to race straight toward the Reb defenses midway down the western face of the salient with bayonets fixed and with only the front three regiments to have their muskets primed for firing. Upton had given them all strict orders
"Do Not Stop for Anything!".

Upton took the first three regiments across the 200 yards of open ground in little more than a minute.

DSC00074.jpg

Once over the top the 5th Maine would swing left, the 121st New York and the 96th Pennsylvania would turn right to either spike or capture the Reb batteries. The second line would dash through the gap and head for Lee's second defense line in the rear. Three Vermont regiments woud be held in reserve at the pine forest tree line.

Like some resistless blue wave Upton's column swept over the Confederate entrenchments-Screaming like banshees and fighting like madmen the first regiments breached the Reb line and fanned left and right to widen the breach.

DSC00078-1.jpg

The first of the men who surmounted the works were quickly felled pierced through the head by musket balls. The 5th Maine regimental color bearer took two wounds to his throat but diligently held onto the colors in an upright position to spur on his colleagues.

DSC00140.jpg

A leaden hail swept the center ground and those that survived the first onslaught used bayonets, butts of their guns even their fists to kill the enemy.

DSC00056-2.jpg

Union and Confederate soldiers stood mere feet apart shooting, bludgeoning and bayoneting one another as if like gladiators in some ancient Roman arena with neither side willing to give way.

DSC00097.jpg

Thomas Dingler fought in lonely desperation to save the 44th Georgian colors receiving fourteen seperate bayonet wounds. Later when his body was found clutched tightly in both of his lifeless hands were tattered fragments of the flag.

DSC00133-1.jpg

One particular area of the front entrenchments a group of Rebs rallied their brothers in arms and absolutely refused to yield inflicting great damage on the Union soldiers trying to dislodge them. Col Esau Latham of the 95th Pennsylvania who always insisted on wearing gold epaulettes and a bright red waist sash into battle angrily shouted to his troops

"Shoot the brave ones! They lead the others"

DSC00076.jpg

Calling up his reserve Vermont regiments Colonel Emory Upton shouted to them

"Come on boys! Just like I told you they would. The're breaking!"

DSC00040-2.jpg

For Upton's human battering ram tactic to succeed in breaking open the Mule Shoe and rolling back Lee's entire front his units would need support. Brig.Gen Gershom Mott's II Corps Division was tasked with the job and as Upton's men broke the Confederate line......................................Mott and his brigades were nowhere to be seen.

To Be Continued

Reb

Nice way to enjoy a quick lunch viewing the event as it took place and looking forward to seeing what the outcome has in store for us . Thanks Reb for another of your outstanding chapters from your Civil War Diaries.......The Lt.

One of your best to date Bob...

your story telling skills are getting more dramatic and better than ever...

poor Dingler...fourteen wounds...

beautiful poses...
fantastic set up...
great story...
anxiously awaiting the next chapter...

very cool stuff...:cool:

Phenomenal !!!
Reb, your skills in setting scenes and telling the story are one of a kind.
Thank you very much for another episode.
Konrad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back