The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Can't say anymore then what's already been said.Looking forward to more.
Mark

Boy oh Boy! I can not ever seem to get enough! My eyes hungrily devour every picture. Then I re-read the story! Sheer delight!

When's the next episode and what's the subject? Aside from the civil war of course.

When's the next episode and what's the subject? Aside from the civil war of course.

John; Ed; Vamp; Mark; Louis; 6th W; Mike-Thank you so much for your comments it's very encouraging to have my American pals pass comments on TS scenes of the struggle between the States-they are much appreciated. And then of course there are the British contingent :D Thanks Rob; Jeff.

Ed
With Stuart's demise complete the next two or three chapters will be the Federal attack on the Confederate entrenchments at the Mule Shoe salient-another very bloody affair that took place on
May 10 1864. It's taking quite a bit of time to construct the Confederate line but the first part of the story should make an appearance by next week-end.

Reb

Always a pleasure to see your posts Reb! I think you should look into publishing this entire thread into a Blurb book like the King & Country books out. Your photos and matching text are fantastic.

I would love to be one of your first customers should you decide to do it!

:)

Always a pleasure to see your posts Reb! I think you should look into publishing this entire thread into a Blurb book like the King & Country books out. Your photos and matching text are fantastic.

I would love to be one of your first customers should you decide to do it!

:)
I am for it.;)

Following Yellow Tavern Sheridan did not continue his "Raid on Richmond". The whole exercise had been a feint to flush out Stuart and his cavalry. It's success was beyond anything Sheridan could have envisioned, his battle report to Grant appeared to relish the duello aspects of war where the enemy's legendary leader (Stuart) had been slain, like an opposing knight on the field of honor. Sheridan returned jubilant back to the Federal Lines.

Sheridan's own favorite knight took full advantage of their return to camp posing for Matthew Brady who was visiting Grant's command photographing scenes that would appear in Harpers Weekly.

DSC00019-3.jpg

The young "boy general" was already the darling of the Washington elite and the press recognising they had a story that had captured the eye of the nation were only too keen to feed their readers with stories of Custer's daring cavalry charges and pictures of the young warrior.

Blatantly exuding his own excessive vanity with his hair freshly preened with his favorite cinnamon scented hair tonic Custer posed regally for Brady.

Between 1864 and wars end Custer would be photographed more times than Abraham Lincoln.

DSC00005-6.jpg

MAY 10th 1864:-The Confederate "Mule Shoe" Entrenchments Spotsylvania

In all of Lee's field works he followed the natural roll of the ground. As a qualified engineer his entrenchments always rose with the earth as part of natures contours but at Spotsylvania he was forced to work with a configuration that he knew was vulnerable. The ridge Ewell's Second Corps had occupied and were fortifying did not follow the curve of the entrenchments to the left instead it jutted forward, creating a huge bulge or salient in the Confederate line.

Seen from above, the entrenchments looked like a series of three sided bunkers with heavy traverses. Although being well buttressed with logs and earth Lee remained far from happy with the position and put his troops to work some hundred yards to the rear digging and building a second defensive line-but it still remained incomplete.

DSC00012-2.jpg

The task of defending the northwest part of the salient fell to the Georgian Brig.Gen. George Doles. He briefed his artillery commanders on where he wanted them to place the cannon, but his gunnery officers expressed their concern that some of their guns had less than 200 yards of killing field before it disappeared into a pine forest.

DSC00033-2.jpg

As Doles continued to survey the ground he had to defend his 4th; 12th & 44th Georgian regiments arrived. Theses veterans of Antietam and Gettysburg had learned to dig shelter holes deep within the sides of the entrenchments where they could take cover during an artillery bombardment. They immediately set to work.

The spade had suddenly become as important for defense as the rifle.

DSC00139.jpg

Unknown to Doles or his men just two miles to their front a young colonel of the 121st New York was planning an unorthodox assault on the Confederate line exactly where Doles was postioning the 44th Georgians.

DSC00100.jpg

Grant accompanied by Meade and Grant's chief aide Lt Col Porter rode to a small hillock just forward of the federal line and looked toward the Reb redoubts

"General Meade I am open to suggestions other than a full frontal assault on those lines"

Meade replied "Sir, General Wright (the dead Sedgewick's replacement as commander of VI Corps) has a brigade colonel with a somewhat dubious method that abandons the standard attack of men charging in line abreast but rather condense the troops into a human battering ram. He firmly believes he can break that line"

Grant removing his ubiquitous cigar said "Inform this colonel, General, to report to me"

DSC00047.jpg

Later that morning Colonel Emory Upton accompanied by Generals Meade and Wright found himself in front of the chief commander.

"Colonel I am well versed in the age old tactic of column breaking line. But not against heavily fortified entrenchments and earthworks"

Upton quickly answered "Sir, I have thoroughly scouted the enemy line with Captain Mackenzie of the Corps of Engineers and have identified a weak spot in their salient 200 yards from thick woodlands which will cover our advance. Twelve regiments standing in four ranks-three regiments to a line. My men will charge across those 200 yards and will not stop for anything-not to fire-not to reload-not to help the wounded until we have punched a hole in the Reb line. Once we have breached their line other regiments can follows us in.
It will work sir I know it will"

DSC00069-1.jpg

Grant stood quietly studying the now slightly flushed young colonel. Grant needed something to work at this juncture of his campaign with casualty figures escalating he was looking for a quick efficient battle that would give him a complete victory by destroying Lee's army in the field. Finally he said

"Colonel prepare your regiments for the assault"

DSC00105.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED & IT GETS BLOODY!

Reb

Terrific episode Bob, really like the way you incorporate the JG mats into the dioramas and blend the figure bases in with flocking.

Cannot wait to see this battle unfold, I was at the battlefield back in October as I attended a show in Fredericksburg.

Visited the Mule Shoe area and you can still see the earthworks in many places. There is a terrific series of on site maps that show you where the entrenchments were, a very well preserved area..........

What a lovely surprise on a Friday evening.:cool::D Another excellent chapter packed with stunning visuals and fascinating and informative text. I love the scene with Custer and those redoubts look formidable indeed. I also note that your ground work is again so impressively realistic. I fear for my Southern mates in this Chapter, the last was bad enough.:( But then we all know the end result. Thanks again mate for your tireless and skillful efforts to enlighten and entertain us; you have again excelled at both and now I think it is time to cry havoc and let lose the dogs of war.:D

Another magnificent chapter Bob. I am glad that you are able and willing to share your talents with us here on the forum.

UK Reb,
I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful post . It really took me back to my childhood and a visit to Gettysburg and to what was then the Charley Weaver's National Soldier's Museum back in the late 70's early 80's . That museum, I think is what got me into toy soldiers:) . At that time I think he made everything by hand. It had little scenes that told the story of the Civil War , And it left an impression on me to this day . Great work and thanks again ;) All the best Gebhard

Bob,

I would like to add my congratulations to yet another impressive chapter, your selection of figures and amount of detail you add to the groundwork/backdrop to tell the story - coupled with your photography skills makes this one of the (if not the) most interesting threads on the forum by far! :cool:

Cheers.

Jeff

Once again Bob absolutely superb work.It really is both entertaining and educating looking at your work,fantastic scenes backed up by an enthralling script,superb stuff mate.

Rob

Bob

A superb tribute to Brady and Custer and the beginning of another eye-popping chapter in your ACW saga.

Here is one of the Brady photos of Custer

Attachments

• 05340u.jpg
    05340u.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 190
Congratulations. This is really great work. The use of all the different makers figures makes it a challenge to try and identify them. This is a fun and very informative thread. -- lancer

Great story but I hate him when he cuts it off ;) The sign of a master storyteller.

Bob, why not put these on a disc. Also, any chance your other stories might come back to life? I really loved Nous Sommes Touts Savages.

Bob, reading your latest chapter has ben a wonderful way for me to enjoy my coffee this morning. The technique in which you blend and photograph your figures together is just amazingly creative - its hard to tell that several different manufacturers' products were used. The background as well as the foreground scenics help to bring everything to life. Just amazing. I have always found your illustrated stories as somewhat like reading a very sophisticated historical "comic" book - very entertaining and yet, educational too. You are the best Bob at what you do. A tip of my campaign crushed beehive to you sir . . . . . . . . . . . Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back