The American Civil War Diaries (5 Viewers)

The King of the photo diodrama is back in town and we are all once again spellbound.

Randy

Mike

Many thanks for your kind comments and by all means I will forward you a full step by step tutorial on how to knock up one of the Reb's cannon/shell explosions. I don't believe there would be enough interest in it to warrant a thread on the forum for as you well know, unfortunately, the American Civil War comes bottom of the class in interest on here and to get the full impact for the shot you definitely need figures that appear to be thrown up in the air- if you know what I mean- and currently only Conte ACW/Alamo figures fit that scenario-as far as I'm aware unless of course you do what I do and convert figures to fit the impact of an explosive shell or canister. Therefore when complete I'll e-mail it to you. Please be patient as it will take awhile.

Bob

Bob I think there would be plenty of members interested in a explosion tutorial. I know I certainly would be !!!

Bob I think there would be plenty of members interested in a explosion tutorial. I know I certainly would be !!!
I am sure that is correct, just as there are legion here interested in Bob's ACW magic. To paraphase Quigley, "just because we don't collect it, doesn't mean we don't like to see it.";):D

Last edited:
Mike

Many thanks for your kind comments and by all means I will forward you a full step by step tutorial on how to knock up one of the Reb's cannon/shell explosions. I don't believe there would be enough interest in it to warrant a thread on the forum for as you well know, unfortunately, the American Civil War comes bottom of the class in interest on here and to get the full impact for the shot you definitely need figures that appear to be thrown up in the air- if you know what I mean- and currently only Conte ACW/Alamo figures fit that scenario-as far as I'm aware unless of course you do what I do and convert figures to fit the impact of an explosive shell or canister. Therefore when complete I'll e-mail it to you. Please be patient as it will take awhile.

Bob

Bob

You are as modest as you are talented and if nothing else, the ACW is rising fast, not that I think it was that low in the first place.

Thanks for keeping us educated and entertained so well.

Kevin

Reb - Great Job !

I love the detail in each of these photos - really art work - each one. :cool:

Here's to another great year of Toy Soldier Collecting in 2010 ! :D :D

Mike

Bob

Bob,

With over 34,000 views on this thread I think that you have really opened members eyes to the ACW as a collection of model soldiers could have! You should be rightly proud of the final result of the fruits of your labour and the rest of us should be if not already thankful for the many hours of your time you spend setting up these wonderful scenes for us to see. :)

Right that’s enough praise – so get on with the next one please! ;):D

Jeff

My Dear Friend, The shots were fantastic and left me wanting more! You have always inspired me to do better when it comes to dioramas and story telling. I remain your loyal student.

Stunning work as usual Bob.I don't know how you do it but you are without doubt the best dio maker I've ever come across.The explosion scenes are breathtaking, but even in a less dramatic scene like the cavalry in the lane you just make it come to life.Wonderful stuff mate.

Rob

M.G.Phil Sheridan Commander of the Union Cavalry Corps was observing the changing developments of the battle when he was joined by the Michigan Brigade commander Brig.Gen.George A Custer who having had two horses shot from under him was agitated and impatient waiting for a third mount. With his 5th & 6th Michigan heavily engaged in the fight he was itching to get back into it when the Union artillery shell exploded amidst the Reb cavalry. Custer yelled out

"Come on you Wolverine's you have them now" and with hardly drawing breath bellowed

"Sergeant O'Hara where the hell is my mount?"

DSC00036.jpg

Without their fallen Colonel the 5th Virginia continued their charge into the Federal left flank. There was no time to tend to their dead and wounded the situation was now desperate. Two troopers stopped long enough to recover the regimental battle flag before swiftly re-joining the affray

DSC000062.jpg

Stuart hearing the exploding shell spurred his horse around yelling to his small entourage

"Come on boys rally to the 5th they need our support"

DSC00084.jpg

Stuart crashed into the Union flank, he was everywhere firing his Le Mat revolver again and again until it was empty. One of his shots had felled the horse of Trooper John A Huff Company E, 5th Michigan-Huff not knowing who this red bearded Reb officer wearing a plumed hat was levelled his carbine at him and fired.

Stuart watching a Union trooper fall from his horse saw in the corner of his eye a bright flash, felt the hard punch in his stomach and with his breath literally sucked away reeled but managed to stay in his saddle.

DSC000282-1.jpg

Captain Gus W Dorsey who commanded Company K saw his general slump in his saddle and immediately realised the danger of an incapacitated JEB Stuart lingering in the line of fire. Grabbing the reins of Stuart's horse he led him to the side of the field ordering two cavalrymen to carry their wounded commander to the rear and to fetch an ambulance da*n quick

As Stuart was reverently carried from the field he implored Dorsey

"Inform General Fitz Lee to take command and tell him he must repel the enemy and protect Richmond"

DSC00007-3.jpg

18 hours later: early dawn at Gen. R.E.Lee's HQ Spotsylvania Virginia

M.G. Martin L Smith Chief Engineer ANV was walking towards his commander's tent. Lee had asked him to accompany him to inspect the army's entrenchments which were causing some of the Divisional commanders much concern.

A rider arrived from Richmond with a message for General Lee. Smith informed the messenger that he would personally deliver it.

DSC000102.jpg

Lee emerged from his tent and Smith proffered the sealed message. Lee asked Smith to read it having left his spectacles in his tent. Smith obliged but immediately wished he hadn't as he quietly read out the message.

"General Lee
I find that I must be the bearer of grave news. Yesterday afternoon at a cross-roads near Yellow Tavern, General Stuart and his command encountered and fought enemy cavalry under the command of General Sheridan. During the battle, M.G.Stuart was mortally wounded. He died during the night.
Respectfully yours
M.G.Wade Hampton ANV.

Lee's eyes welled with tears- after a long pause he finally said

"General Stuart was a very fine officer...........he........he never brought me a single piece of false information"

DSC000213.jpg

Smith watched Lee re-enter his tent. He felt a sudden desolation descend upon him-a desolation that would quickly envelop the whole of the Army of Northern Virginia

DSC00033-1.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Reb

Not much I can say Reb that I haven't in the past but once again another outstanding chapter in your American Civil War Diaries featuring a very well written story line along with another batch for outstanding photos....The Lt.

Another marvelous chapter and history lesson; as always I am thrilled with both.:cool: Once again you also demonstrate your mastery of figure choice and placement, terrain and accessories. I wish I knew the figure lines for this period well enough to ferret out the modifications but I am left with just appreciating how well they communicate your detailed historical scenes. BRAVO again my friend, BRAVO.:cool::cool:
clap-1.gif
clap-1.gif
clap-1.gif

A true master's work again and, as always, a great pleasure to view and read.
Thank you, Reb.
Konrad

Thank you Joe, Mike, Bill, Konrad

That was indeed a sad day for the Confederacy when they lost Stuart and it sped downhill fast for them after that

Bob

Superb stuff once again Bob,you really got across the emotion and depth of the loss to the South,great work mate.

Rob

Another marvelous chapter and history lesson; as always I am thrilled with both.:cool: Once again you also demonstrate your mastery of figure choice and placement, terrain and accessories. I wish I knew the figure lines for this period well enough to ferret out the modifications but I am left with just appreciating how well they communicate your detailed historical scenes. BRAVO again my friend, BRAVO.:cool::cool:
clap-1.gif
clap-1.gif
clap-1.gif

I agree entirely, probably the best form of history lesson around.

:):)

Jeff

Oh my gosh Reb! I am just catching up with this story line from earlier this month. First of all its great having you back providing us forum members with your creative skills of story telling and photographing. I am absolutely taken away with everything. Huzzah to you Bob. Great stuff!
Mike

Superb! You managed to create real emotion with the part on Stuart - better than any book could do.

Thank you Joe, Mike, Bill, Konrad

That was indeed a sad day for the Confederacy when they lost Stuart and it sped downhill fast for them after that

Bob
Excellent thread Bob, as always you make the story come to life.

Absolutely brilliant storytelling. You manage to convey the sad and tragic nature of the events, while still telling a captivating story. Love your work on the dioramas, the custom figures, the photography and the text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back