The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

Seven !!! As been said before Reb, you have a larger following than you think. Just some of us are gobsmacked by your work. :D

Reb I think there's at least nine of us still watching your wonderful story line. As always just absolutely awesome Bob.

Mike

I will say number 11 following your excellent narrative and pictures. Leadmen

I know I always look forward to the next installment, and your great work has inspired me to buy more than a few more ACW figures!!

What another one?:rolleyes:

Thanks guys for your supportive comments very much appreciated.

Reb

....................................................................................................

Yes and with over 31,000 views of this thread.......that means each one of

us has checked it out over 3,100 times!:D

....................................................................................................

Yes and with over 31,000 views of this thread.......that means each one of

us has checked it out over 3,100 times!:D

LOL :D:D:D:D-Brilliant John brilliant!

Rob/Joe/John

Many thanks for your kind comments that's at least three of you still following the story;).

Rob I'm toying with the idea of introducing a Confederate Tiger tank (without zimmerit of course) into the next episode to knock out that Yankee artillery. Purely to juice up the story-What d'ya think?:D

Bob
Well by now you should know there are legion more than that or even ten times ten mate.:D Of course you have thrown the loyal of the rhythm of your installments with the recent gaps.:eek: FWIW, I like the idea of the Reb Tiger; it would be a Louisiana unit right?:D:D Besides, at this point, it would appear the Rebs could surely use the help.

Absolutely love this newest episode and eagerly await the next hopefully the next of many.:cool::D

Bob....you fantastic collection of figures makes for the most detailed battle scenes..In all your engagements...the variety of poses is just outstanding to help the narration of your stories.

Bill/Ed/Mike

Many thanks for your encouraging comments-as always as with the rest of the guys posts, very much appreciated. I wasn't sure after taking a long sabbatical from the forum whether the interest in the great American struggle was still bouyant on here-I now see it is.

Mike you are right having a "bit of a collection" certainly does help in depicting the many battles/skirmishes of the ACW. Not sure whether any of you noticed but a couple of newcomers to my stash are the new CS Death of Latane figures which really are superbly animated particularly the horses. I also have to say I am particularly fond of the attached shot-

DSC00006-5.jpg

Why? because it was a complete fluke for as I moved away from my display bench to the computer after taking literally dozens of close-ups I fired one last shot from long distance without altering the lens and bang- out came the best picture from the whole shoot. I like it because it reminds me of a Troiani painting and I'm darn sure if I had deliberately tried to set it up to capture that image I would have got....... zilch!
Accidental photography by numbers:D

Bob

I too noticed the new CS figures Bob very nice. Can I ask about the two dismounted figured and their steeds. Same figure or a conversion? Who makes them?

Cheers
Scott

Bill/Ed/Mike

DSC00006-5.jpg

Why? because it was a complete fluke for as I moved away from my display bench to the computer after taking literally dozens of close-ups I fired one last shot from long distance without altering the lens and bang- out came the best picture from the whole shoot. I like it because it reminds me of a Troiani painting and I'm darn sure if I had deliberately tried to set it up to capture that image I would have got....... zilch!
Accidental photography by numbers:D

Bob

My exact thought also Bob. When I first saw this photograph my first impression was, Wow! that looks like a painting. I can "see" why this is your favorite of your most recent work.
Mike

Wow Reb, Your narrative skills and "Director" skills have been the best of the best for a long time. With this series incorporating the great grass and the dynamic composition of foreground, action and backdrop, your photographic, or should I say cinemagraphic skills show they are in the same category with your other skills. Fantastic stuff.

Joe

I too noticed the new CS figures Bob very nice. Can I ask about the two dismounted figured and their steeds. Same figure or a conversion? Who makes them?

Cheers
Scott

Scott

The two dismounted figures are from a set of three Dismounted Reb cavalrymen from the now defunct company Oryon-no conversions as you see them is how they came. Am quite fond of them as they are very versatile for dios and all you need to add are a couple of dead nags.

The prone horses in the shot are one -improvisation-by using the new K&C downed horse and the gray mare is the result of a few spare horse parts that I cobbled together out of my gash box finished off with a new paint job.

Thanks for your interest

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, the figures are great and you have a great knack for choosing just the right ones for your scenes.

As the cavalry battle raged across the field at Yellow Tavern Stuart ordered the 5th Virginia regiment to move down the Telegraph Road to attempt a flanking movement on the Union left.

This unit was commanded by Col Henry C Pate renowned throughout the Confederate cavalry for his resoluteness and unflinching determination. Under cover of the tree line he held his regiment to await an opportune moment to charge the left flank of Sheridan's troops

DSC00014-5.jpg

But the Reb cavalry movement had been spotted by Captain Ransom. Scanning the Telegraph Road he addressed Lt William M Graham Commander of K Battery 1st US Horse Artillery.
"Lt. when that Reb cavalry break that tree-line I want you to drop a shell right in the middle of them. We will have only one shot at this before those Johnnies get all muddled up with our boys. Therefore Lt-make it count!"

Graham without his binoculars shielded his eyes and peered across at the tree-line calling behind him he shouted out

"Sergeant Allen-Select and Load!"

DSC00005-5.jpg

Gunnery Sergeant Jacob Allen was as indicated by the US prefix "old army" as indeed was Battery K. He had served as a young gunner in the Mexican War under an even younger lieutenant named Thomas Jackson-famed now as "Stonewall".

For this job only one piece was brought forward a 12 pounder muzzle swell "Napoleon". The nine man crew were all veterans and moved swiftly about their duties as each man had an assignment designated by a number. The muzzle was sponged. No 2 took the exploding shell from the caisson and presented it to No 5 for inspection. He in turn offered it to No 6 who cut the fuse to the proper length for the estimated range before No 5 placed it in the barrel.

DSC00010.jpg

No 1 rammed the round "down the spout". Sergeant Allen moved around the piece

"Trail left, More, More, Halt. Screw down, More, Halt, Ready."

DSC000142-1.jpg

No 3 pricked the cartridge and No 4 hooked the lanyard to the primer and jammed the primer in the vent. Covering their ears and stepping clear from the wheels Allen bellowed

"Ready to fire. Sir!"

DSC00028-2.jpg

Way across the field the gray horse-soldiers were ordered forward. They slowly broke the tree-line bordering Telegraph Road and formed to begin their charge.

DSC00022-2.jpg

Ransom called to Lt Graham

"Judas Priest! Now Lt- Now"

Graham bawled "FIRE!"

DSC00028-2.jpg

The screaming artillery shell took out the front echelon of the mounted Confederates with a gut wrenching noise and a ball of flame, metal and earth.

DSC00021-4.jpg

Amongst the dead that crashed to the ground was Col Henry C Pate Commander 5th Virginia Cavalry.

DSC000382.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back