The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

Bob, You always are able to bring "Awesome" to your Civil War Dioramas. {bravo}} The 2 story house is terrific looking in your scenes. {bravo}}

Bob, as well as all the other elements I always enjoy your groundwork very much indeed, those bushes look good in front of the house there. I always find your work not only an inspiration but also pictorially informative as to things to try myself.

Rob

Bob,

I don't know what to say that has not already been said about these last installments other than they are terrific! The staging, photography, history info, all masterful. Thanks for posting your "passion".{bravo}}

Many thanks guys for all of your kind comments and as always very much appreciated. However, I think I might have bitten of a bit more than I can chew with depicting Antietam though eg. this last series of ten shots took me a whole month to plan, set up, shoot and write the script and the darn battle hasn't even started yet {eek3}

Great staging and sets as usual Bob. You have a great talent for blending the various makers work into a seamless vignette.

I think you will find the upcoming 2013 W. Britain ACW releases useful in your continuing story. We have been very busy filling in several missing items and there is more in the pipeline. Several of the new figures will be useful for your future staff settings too.

All the best for the New Year,
Ken

Thanks for the info Ken I look forward to and as you know always appreciate your ACW character figures-Not sure whether you are referring to single standing officers or mounted poses. As you most probably noticed a couple of my pictures contained a mounted Longstreet or should I say a conversion from John B Gordon into Old Pete which I considered was absolutely essential for any reasonably accurate dio of Antietam-He rode all over that battlefield barking out orders that day. ACW collectors have very few mounted celebrities to choose from-that's a big hint Ken and in non-fighting poses please as civil war history records very few of the Senior Officer Corps partaking in personal scraps with swords raised and pistols drawn galloping across the battlefields-they usually stood stationary in a prime position, watched and passed their orders through couriers-That's another hint Ken ^&grin

Thanks again guys

Bob

Great staging and sets as usual Bob. You have a great talent for blending the various makers work into a seamless vignette.

I think you will find the upcoming 2013 W. Britain ACW releases useful in your continuing story. We have been very busy filling in several missing items and there is more in the pipeline. Several of the new figures will be useful for your future staff settings too.

All the best for the New Year,
Ken

I am really hoping for some new Gettysburg personalities such as General Ewell, Rodes, Early, Gordon, etc...
We have not had much focus on the Confederate 2nd Corps at Gettysburg so I will keep my fingers crossed! :D

I am still in Gettysburg today and will be heading back home soon. Ericka and I have been on the road for the better part of the week and have been 'boots on the ground' here and at a few other sites doing research for new subjects and scenics.

Seven of the nine new personalities in the upcoming W. Britain catalog are subjects that we have never represented before and will fill important gaps in many collections. Ericka and our painters seem to think that these are some of our best work to date and will also be useful for other scenarios as I mentioned earlier.

As far as senior officers in action, the lion's share of ours are posed for council or giving direction (yes I know, including the hated pointing figures). As far as I can recall the only exceptions have been, Armistead, Chamberlin, Custer, Mosby and Reynolds. Perhaps we will see non action versions of at least a few of these fellows in the future along with more new subjects.

I love your Longstreet conversion and carefully look at all of your postings searching for new handiwork.
I am looking forward to more of your wonderful vignettes and story lines as we move into the New Year Bob!

All the Best,
Ken

Ken,
I am really excited about the upcoming release for sure! I am a huge collector of your personalities and will continue to be. Cannot wait!!!! :D

The Battle of Sharpsburg:- Chapter II

Stonewall Jackson understood the importance of the high plateau across from the Dunker church and instinctively knew that Hooker's forces would concentrate on this area. Therefore Jackson placed four batteries of artillery around its perimeter. Protecting these guns were two Confederate divisions-Brig. Gen. Lawton's & Brig. Gen. John R Jones. The Brigade south of Miller's cornfield was commanded by Colonel Marsellus Douglass. These proud men of Georgia patiently waited for the boys in blue to show themselves.

DSC00030-7_zpsa0cec146.jpg

Ricketts Federal Division with Hartsuff's brigade in the lead column and Duryea's close behind moved out of the North woods toward the Dunker church. Swiftly moving through the cornfield they broke out into an open pasture where across from them the Georgians waited.

DSC00063-1.jpg

As Hartsuff & Duryea's brigades raced across the open field the Rebels rose up as a single, fire breathing beast and hurled a thousand rounds of death into the front rank of the advancing Yankees

DSC00018-5_zps8973bc29.jpg

The men in blue fell like rag dolls from left to right. The second rank stepped over the bodies of their colleagues and returned the Rebel's volleys. But Hooker's first advance had stalled

DSC00003-2.jpg

Shot and shell from nine Federal batteries situated behind the North woods rained down on Jackson's position on the Dunker plateau. Jackson was watching the action taking place below him where his line were slugging it out with the Federal brigades when one of his staff Major Robert Dabney rode up pointing to the developing situation. Before the major could speak Jackson shouted back
"Yes major, I am aware of the danger. Find General Hood and ask him to report to me".

DSC00092-3_zpsff0aba0d.jpg

Meanwhile on the Hagerstown Pike. Brig. Gen. John Gibbon hearing the musket fire to his left had ordered his Black Hat Brigade from route step to double time when a federal courier raced toward them.

DSC000292-1_zpsc6219e6c.jpg

"Sir, General Ricketts compliments but he reports that his advance to the church has faltered and urgently requests assistance" Gibbon then asked
"What of General Sumner's II Corps in the East Woods?"
"Sir, they won't move until General Sumner arrives. He is at General McClellan's HQ awaiting orders" Gibbon was aghast
"My God the battle has started what orders does he want apart from co-ordinating attacks. Ride back to General Ricketts and tell him help is on the way"

DSC000362-1_zps29730e80.jpg

Gibbon was one of the most competent senior officers in the Army of the Potomac in 1862 and he immediately took action on this development. To meet the enemy in the West woods Gibbon ordered the 7th Wisconsin and the 19th Indiana to the right whilst he led the 2nd & 6th Wisconsin to assist Ricketts Division. All of this took him less than a minute.

DSC00149_zpsb2f70e00.jpg

Hood reported to Jackson
"Sir!"
Jackson pointed to the pasture just below them
"General Hood our brigades have stopped the Union advance but they have taken heavy casualties doing so. When Hooker sends another division, and he will, I fear our line will collapse. You will assemble your Texans and with Law's Brigade you will support our line and with the most immediacy sir!
Hood saluted followed with a
"Yes sir!"

DSC000162-2_zps7019cba7.jpg

To commands of "Left oblique" Gibbon watched his Black Hats enter the north west corner of David Millers cornfield and into.........the history books

DSC000522-1_zps8db61fb0.jpg

To Be Continued

Reb

Bob, after all these years I've run out of superlatives mate, but you know how good your work is which is the main thing!

Wonderful stuff mate, there's a reason its the best on the forum.{bravo}}

Thanks for chapter II

Rob

Bob, after all these years I've run out of superlatives mate, but you know how good your work is which is the main thing!

Wonderful stuff mate, there's a reason its the best on the forum.{bravo}}

Thanks for chapter II

Rob

Many thanks Rob glad you're enjoying the "movie" ^&grin

Bob

Another great installment to the diaries Bob, no words can do your production justice, all I can say is I hope you continue with the Diaries series for a long time, as it has to be one of the best parts of this forum has to offer, thanks again for all your work and effort put into your postings...Sammy

Brilliant Bob, simply brilliant. Love your backdrops and your use of the JG scenics, they really are superb. You've got an amazing collection of figures, it's just endless the different dioramas you can construct without using the same figures over and over, they always look fresh to me.

When you stage your dioramas, how large is your display area? It looks to me like you've built five or even six different dioramas, I assume you don't build one, take it all down, build the next one, etc, etc? Looks to me like you've got several running at the same time, is that corrrect?

Again, thanks for taking the time to research and plan these, set them up, shoot the pictures and provide the narative, four stars on this one.........also, love the "to be continued" line..........:wink2:

Great stuff, Bob. Love the set-up with the Iron Brigade moving into the corn and history. Something very evocative about the peaceful fields, roads, fences, that are becoming the center of a hurricane of battle. Thanks. {bravo}} -- Al

Bob, I bow down to you sir, you are the the master of the dio.......{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}
Wayne.

BRAVO Bob {bravo}} {bravo}} . . . . . my compliments Sir . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back