The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

An outstanding chapter Bob, where scenics, figs, and story merge into a grand presentation. Each scene superbly advances the battle progression. Simply put, an amazing production. Chris

This is obviously excellent work. All I can say beyond that is, I can apperciate the amount of work this takes. Alex

Its hard to beat any story line that features the Iron Brigade and Hood's Texans . . . . once again Bob, brilliantly done . . . . This series of photos have made this Wisconsin Badger smile with appreciation . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Its hard to beat any story line that features the Iron Brigade . . . .

Agreed; First Brigade, first division of the first corps, the "Iron Brigade", superb Bob, just superb.

My boyhood heroes brought to life by you, many, many thanks.............

UKReb, The scenes and storyline was sheer delight!!!! {sm4}{sm4}{sm4} Can't wait for next installment.

Part of my purchases at the London show last month was three WB17609s-That's the Johnnie on the left.

I got all three from a private dealer for the full UK price for one. Although I quite liked the leaning forward marching pose/stance of the figure I didn't particularly want all four in their original- as bought- state.

Subsequently three got lobotomized to accept new millinery. The style of hats were heavily borrowed from the First Legion 55th North Carolina sets.

A bit of milliput for a completely outrageous beard and longer hair over their collars-Full repaint and you end up with a so so set of three slightly different WB17609s.

However due to obvious facial similarities if I use them in a future dio together I'll have to refer to them as a Reb version of the Massachusetts Bixby Brothers (referred to in Saving Private Ryan when Marshall read out Abe Lincoln's 1864 letter to Lydia Bixby)

Reb

You never cease to amaze me {eek3}

Some people pose soldiers against backdrops and dios, some create dioramas, some weave stories in magical way but you do all three plus create your own soldiers. I doff my cap (had I one) to you.

Brad

One of my favorite WB Reb figures also Bob . . . . . I have had Ken Osen make me some conversions using 17609 because I know I couldn't do them justice like you and Ken do. Very nicley done sir . . . .

Bob, Put it simply your an artist of the craft!!! Love your conversions and texted dioramas. You are inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing. Chuck

I ran out of superlatives many years ago Bob, you know how highly I rate your work mate{bravo}}

Best

Rob

One of my favorite WB Reb figures also Bob . . . . . I have had Ken Osen make me some conversions using 17609 because I know I couldn't do them justice like you and Ken do. Very nicley done sir . . . .
Hi ,
Nice to see the conversions of stock figures...well done. I find them very useful for dioramas so there are not too many doppelgangers.

I found one picture showing two of the figures Mike was referring to. I know there are others showing additional conversions but I can't seem to find them right now.

Ken

The Battle of Sharpsburg:- Chapter IV-The Bloody Cornfield

As the decimated ranks of the Wisconsin regiments beat a hasty retreat back through Miller's Cornfield- Colonel Philip Works' 1st Texas regiment- in General Hood's words- "slipped the bridle" and charged into the cornfield after the fleeing Yankees

Chasing and catching Blue-Bellies was a favourite sport of the 1st Texas

But the Iron Brigade were unlike any other Union brigade, fierce fighters they tried to hold their ground and unloaded a murderous close-range volley that chopped down the Texans like corn to a sickle. Hood would state in his battle report"........the most terrible clash of arms, by far, that has occurred during the war"

If there was hell on earth the men from Madison & Austin had found it in that cornfield on the 17th September 1862

But nothing was going to stop the Texans and supported by the rest of Wofford's Brigade they pushed on through the cornfield

Works' 1st Texans screaming the Rebel Yell surged ahead of their comrades following their battle flags and their beloved "Lone Star" banner.

Finally they broke clear of the cornfield with full intention to continue their advance

But facing them across an open ploughed field Brig. Gen. John Gibbon had lined up a battery of Model 1857 Napoleon's in an attempt to staunch the Confederate tide.

Battery B, 4th US Artillery, was Gibbon's personal battery. It had been his when he was a captain in the "old" army in some former life in some half-forgotten place called Utah. At Antietam it was intially commanded by Captain Joseph B. Campbell, but when he was severely wounded that morning command devolved upon Scottish immigrant Lt James Stewart. A mounted Gibbon now addressed Stewart

"Elevation screws fully raised"
"Yes Sir!"
"Full muzzle depression"
"Yes Sir!"
"Double charges of canister"
"Yes Sir!"
"Give 'em hell boys"

The rebel front lines were torn to pieces from the blasts of canister. Tin cans containing 48 cast iron/lead balls packed in sawdust ripped into the Texans rendering the same effect as a giant sawn off shotgun. One of he Federal gunner's had aimed low plowing up the earth just in front of the Rebs making the stony dirt as lethal as the canister balls.

Hood's Texan counter-attack had now stalled.

TO BE CONTINUED:
Reb

Wonderful scenes Bob, really good work. Once again you bring the action, trauma and confusion of the scene brilliantly to life. Sublime work mate.

Rob

You've done it once again bringing your figures to life featuring your Civil War Diaries......Joe:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute::

You've done it once again bringing your figures to life featuring your Civil War Diaries......Joe:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute::

Beautiful work, Bob. Love the restricted sight lines and claustraphobic effect that the cornfield gives. -- Al

Great work Bob and I agree with Al, the low level shots really depict the nature of the fighting that took place in that field.

Also like the shot of the Union battery, the treeline looks superb, excellent work...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back