The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

As always more brillant displays of your collection Bob, absolutely love the cornfield staging in this battle, thanks for the new diary entry and look forward to the next page...Sammy

Great depiction of the awful carnage of that fight Bob. Especially like the pic of the smooth-bores in action! Chris

Guys
Many thanks for your comments and like ticks as always very much appreciated. Some of you will know....well... Al & George definitely do..that my set-ups are hugely influenced by Don Troiani's brilliant ACW paintings such as this scene from the latest chapter

is very loosely based on Troiani's "Lone Star" painting which depicts the Texans in the Cornfield at Antietam

I had an amateurish crack at this umpteen years ago but had very few decent figures to do it justice. But now there are literally dozens of great figures to collect and to choose from to give it a better shot. Subsequently, I am thinking of building a number of single dios based on his and Keith Rocco's paintings. Watch this space.

Thanks again guys for your interest

Bob

Look forward to what you come up with Bob....no doubt you will do them justice.
Wayne.

Subsequently, I am thinking of building a number of single dios based on his and Keith Rocco's paintings.

Bob,
That is a brilliant idea, I am sure you will do each and every painting you depict in miniature proper justice, can't wait to see the results..............would also like to see you build dioramas based on two other paintings; the Gettysburg and Atlanta Cycloramas...........:wink2:

Just returned from a long vacation in Alaska and British Columbia . . . . . catching up on what I have missed on the forum . . . . Always a pleasure to see the latest in your American Civil War Diaries series . . . . Nicely done once again Bob . . .
:smile2: Mike

The Battle Of Sharpsburg Chapter V.

The Union Napoleons continued to pour canister into the Texan lines. The canister exploded 10 yards beyond their muzzles and 215 half-pound balls spread across the Rebel attackers, taking arms, legs and lives.
But still Hood's Texans refused to give way, they regrouped and fired into the Union gunners. Muskets against Artillery.

The men of the 4th US Regular Artillery now also began to fall under the expert marksmanship of the Texans. Sergeant West went down with a slug in the thigh and Private Ripley took one to the gut.
His anguished screams cut above the sound of the battle.

The Texans rallied around their colours and thirteen more died. Colonel William Wofford knew they had to retreat for without reinforcements to charge those guns they would all die in this dam cornfield

On the far side of the cornfield Sam Hood threw in Colonel McIvor Law's 4th Alabama and 2nd Mississippi regiments. He shouted to his courier.
"Ride to General Jackson-unless I get reinforcements I will be forced back, but I am going on while I still can. And for God's tell him to get Stuart's artillery to lay down fire on that Yankee gun-line"

Twenty minutes later the remnants of Hood's Texas Brigade hauled themselves out of the cornfield. They made a pitiful sight as they made their way to the Confederate field hospital.

Hood was watching his brave Texan survivors through tear stained eyes when Lee and his entourage rode towards him and said
"General Hood where are your Texan regiments?". Hood did not look at Lee as he said
"There General Lee and the rest are lying dead in the field"

As Lee made his way to the Confederate centre he happened upon a group of Southern soldiers who all turned and cheered their leader. He addressed the officer leading the men
"What regiment is this captain?"
"Parts of the 4th Georgia and 1st North Carolina from Ripley's Brigade sir! with orders to advance to that orchard up yonder"
Lee acknowledged the men and turned to the sound of artillery fire coming from the orchard.

BATTERY LONGSTREET.

The Federal II Corps had flanked the Confederates out of Bloody Lane and had begun their advance. Near the Piper orchard Longstreet and his staff came across the battered 3rd Company of Washington Artillery who were trying to hold back the Yankees. The incoming fire from the enemy had felled a number of Reb gunners that had left one cannon unmanned. Longstreet immediately ordered his staff officers to man the silent gun.

Perhaps no more distinguished gun crew ever assembled on a Civil War battlefield for it included Maj John Fairfax; Maj. Moxley Sorrel; Major Thomas Walton and Lt Thomas Goree. Beside them spotting the effect of the fire sat Longstreet.

Longstreet's Battery had bolstered one portion of the sagging Confederate line by blunting the Union advance. But it was a serious looking Longstreet who rode to greet Lee.
"Sir the situation is extremely grave and if Burnside crosses that bridge General Toombs and his men could be cut off" Lee nodded but said nothing, Longstreet continued
"We need a diversion on the left sir to relieve our fractured centre. Perhaps General Jackson could......."
But Lee was hardly listening to his old war horse, he saw the danger and knew precious little infantry was available, and two-hundred-men charges, no matter how gallant, were doomed to fail. No- artillery and only artillery would save this immediate situation.

To Be Concluded

Reb

Bob, this is just getting better and better. I swear I can feel the heat and humidity of a Maryland September day in that cornfield you have constructed. The scene with the remnants of the Texans coming out of the corn is harrowing, and very sad. Boy, what a toe to toe shootout this battle was, from start to finish. -- Al

Wow Bob, truly I don't know how to say anything new after all this time! But I'll give it a go. Your work is an inspiration my friend it really is, it produces the desire to get the materials out and have a go at making a diorama of some sort. Your work is so skillful , so well executed that it stands alone.

Brilliantly done Bob.

Just shot you an email

Rob

Excellent Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}.....somehow missed you last Saturday^&confuse

Cheers

Martyn:)

Thanks for another great chapter and some superb layouts.

One of the things I most enjoy about your pictures is trying to ID the figures you use, most of which I can, others I have no clue, not sure if you're modifying/scratch building figures or if you are finding one off unique figures at shows and through your collecting networking, either way, your scenes and use of various figures is great.

Also like how you never seem to use the same figures from one scene to the next, you keep coming up with new figures....................

You've really out done yourself with this one Bob. The scenes of the wounded and the staff officers manning the guns is superb. Chris

Thanks for another great chapter and some superb layouts.

One of the things I most enjoy about your pictures is trying to ID the figures you use, most of which I can, others I have no clue, not sure if you're modifying/scratch building figures or if you are finding one off unique figures at shows and through your collecting networking, either way, your scenes and use of various figures is great.

Also like how you never seem to use the same figures from one scene to the next, you keep coming up with new figures....................

Thanks for your comments guys.

Spot the unfamiliar figure eh! George ^&grin. Sometimes a standard figure doesn't fit the scene I want to portray so he undergoes a little field surgery or gets a new uniform/kit. But well spotted George for there are indeed in this chapter a couple of one off figures that were cast by a good chum of mine that came out OK. However, we have had quite a number of disasters in the past that were immediately converted back into little metal ingots-they certainly don't always work out how I want them {eek3}

You've really out done yourself with this one Bob. The scenes of the wounded and the staff officers manning the guns is superb. Chris

Thanks Chris but as I'm sure you know credit for this scene of the Longstreet Battery at Sharpsburg lies with Troiani for that's who I pinched the idea off of.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back