The American Civil War Diaries (5 Viewers)

Bob, congrats on another masterpiece. You captured the tumult of battle with your "Jackson" scene. The swirl of action is grand. That cornfield is authentic right down to the tassels on the corn stalks. The unfolding scenes of the Union deployment is dynamic in telling the story of the battle. Great all around series. Chris

Love it Bob, looking forward to the next part {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

Bob, congrats on another masterpiece. You captured the tumult of battle with your "Jackson" scene. The swirl of action is grand. That cornfield is authentic right down to the tassels on the corn stalks. The unfolding scenes of the Union deployment is dynamic in telling the story of the battle. Great all around series. Chris

Thanks again guys for your kind comments and "like" ticks on this latest episode. I kinda got fired up yesterday as the movie Lincoln opened here in the UK. I was first in the queue for an admission ticket. When I got home I fired off the final shots to complete Chapter II and just had to post it last night.

Chris as you and a few other of the ACW froggers- who between us regularly discuss the hobby by e-mail and PM- will know I'm an avid student of Troiani's ACW paintings and use them for inspiration to construct my dios but on this occasion for the particular shot that you referred to which is this one

DSC00092-3_zpsff0aba0d.jpg

I used the basics of this painting by Mort Kunstler titled Jackson At Antietam (Sharpsburg)

large_407_21_zps49cceee6.jpg

Thanks George for your comments-Yes I have practically every matte ACW figure that's been manufactured over the last ten years -Although there are very many that I now don't use in the dios. I suppose if a collector just concentrates or disciplines himself to primarily collect only one era, his army of little metal men can soon grow to a fair size collection. My Yanks and Rebs are barracked in glass cabinets which are situated in my loft. Each cabinet is titled such as Officer Corps; Artillery; Advancing; Shooting; Kneeling; Marching; Mounted troops; Casualties; Dead; Trees; Shrubs; etc etc. Subsequently, they are easy to find when constructing the diorama, also housed there are two large divided work bases with slotted in back drops which can be easily changed from one back scene to another.

Funny when you think about it George........I spend most of my spare hobby time in my attic and most of my forum time down here in the basement ^&grin

Bob

Thanks for the information Bob, love how you use paintings to inspire and pattern your dioramas after. If I am not mistaken the very first diorama of yours you posted on the forum was based on a Troiani painting, funny how paintings tend to inspire us to create scenes.

My situation is reversed; I spend my hobby time in the basement, my computer time in the loft over our master bedroom............:wink2:

{bravo}}{bravo}}You've done it once again my friend bringing your figures to life in the chapter of the your Civil War Diaries........Joe {bravo}}{bravo}}

I used the basics of this painting by Mort Kunstler titled Jackson At Antietam (Sharpsburg)

large_407_21_zps49cceee6.jpg

Great job on the setup Bob. Kunstler is probably my favorite ACW artist with Troiani a close second. Keep up the inspiring work. :)

Bob, That is an awesome job re-creating that painting with your scene and set up {bravo}} Always a pleasant surprise to view. I should get into ACW collecting as I'm in bloody......Texas {sm2}

The Battle of Sharpsburg:- Chapter III

Looking out over Miller's cornfield Gibbon thought he saw for a brief moment the brilliant red of a Confederate Battle Flag. He called out to his men
"Go careful boys, there's Rebs on the other side of the cornfield"
But by then his Black Hats were deep amongst the cornstalks.

DSC00006_zpsa38efa20.jpg

The advance line of the 2nd Wisconsin broke clear of the southside of the cornfield...when suddenly......

DSC00038_zps180d9f11.jpg

Whit! Whit! Whit! Whit! the air was full of sounds like angry hornets as hundreds of Rebel Minie bullets cut through the cornstalks and found dozens of human targets as they hit the front line of the Western regiment

DSC00031_zps4dbee23c.jpg

Supported by the Sixth commanded by Lt Col. Stevens the Black Hats swiftly returned volleys- pouring lead into the Georgians across the pasture. These men from Madison could fire and load and fire again in less than thirty seconds but most dropped their weapons after their first shot to pick up the rifles of their fallen comrades and fired them instead.

DSC00011_zps3e99d8d9.jpg

Jackson had been correct for Douglass's Georgians had already taken a battering holding back the earlier advance of Hooker's First Corps. Now under the withering fire from this "damm Black Hat Brigade", Reb infantrymen began to drop and large gaps in the Confederate line began to appear. Douglass had no more men to fill these holes in his front line

DSC00008_zps57c049b4.jpg

Major Rufus Dawes now in command after Col Stevens had been seriously wounded rallied both the Wisconsin regiments with a war cry
"Come on boys the're breaking-let's give them the bayonet"

DSC00002_zps209fee34.jpg

Racing across the field they climbed the fence that only moments before formed the Reb frontline. Stepping over the bodies of dead Confederates the Black Hats surged forward toward the Dunker Church which was now no more than a thousand yards to their front. Suddenly a trooper astride the fence called out
"Major Look"

DSC000472_zps86614b01.jpg

At this critical moment there appeared a long steady line of gray sweeping out from the woods raising the Yip-Yip-Yip shrill of the Rebel Yell. It was Jackson's last reserves-John Bell Hood's Division

DSC00041_zps27eb9bdd.jpg

Sergeant Joseph Burton standing alongside Dawes yelled
"Major that's Hood's Texans" Dawes replied
"Yes sergeant and there's too damm many of them. Sound recall- Back through the cornfield"

One hour into the Battle of Antietam and already 2000 men lay dead and wounded on David Millers farmland

DSC00022_zpsc68a44d9.jpg

To Be Continued
Reb

I knew he'd pull one of those "To Be Continued" shenanigans :eek:

I'm getting tired of paying him all these compliments but what can you say: I have to tip my hat to him one more time ^&grin

Just spectacular, Bob. I really like the very first photo as the Federals prepare to enter the cornfield. That Confederate battle flag waving in the distance is a beautiful touch and provides great depth and anticipation. Love the narration, too. -- Al

Great job on this. Really epic work.

I think from this diorama we can tell which unit is Ken's favorite to sculpt. I didn't realize he has done so many Iron Brigade figures.

The converted Chamberlain figure is really great, did you do this yourself.

Again, always a pleasure to see your creative set-ups.

Shane

:)

Another classic chapter from your Civil War Diaries Reb once again bringing your series to life. {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back