The American Civil War Diaries (6 Viewers)

Excellent, Bob. The ground work is superb, especially around the house. I can imagine the shock of the local populance upon opening their door to see what the noise is all about. -- Al

House, groundwork, placement of figures and storyline all fantastic ! Really enjoyed this instalment ! :salute:::salute:::salute::

Steve

Imitating History

I recently wrote a magazine article on the subject of the Pinkerton National Detective Agency during the ACW. I illustrated the text with a few photographs including the one below. This well known ACW photograph was taken by Alexander Gardiner who was employed by Mathew Brady. It depicts President Abe Lincoln at Sharpsburg (Antietam). The Union officer on the right is M.G. John A. McClernand (at the time an aide to Lincoln). The man on the left is (Major) Alan Pinkerton himself.

As a bit of fun (much needed during this rain soaked month of August in the UK) I constructed a small diorama around that event.

In early October 1862 Lincoln spent three days visiting the Army of the Potomac and riding the battlefields of South Mountain and Antietam. Lincoln was bitterly disappointed at General George McClellan's failure to rout Lee's beaten army which had retreated back to Virginia. Lincoln had numerous meetings with "Little Mac" in an attempt to persuade him to pursue and destroy the Army of Northern Virginia.

As far as I'm aware there is no TS figure of Alan Pinkerton. Consequently, I used the WB 31272 ACW Civilian. I must confess now I was not a fan of this figure's "pink" jacket and boater type hat. But I have no doubt that Ken Osen's thorough research of uniforms and clothing is accurate. Sorry Ken, but he reminded me of a fairground/circus barker ^&grin

His hat has been remodelled, beard added and complete repaint in dark colours in an attempt to match Pinkerton in the photo.

McClellan's answered his president with a multitude of reasons for not pursuing Lee's army "at this time" Following the photo shoot Lincoln bid farewell to McClellan and his Generals and returned to Washington. On the journey back to the capital Lincoln said to his old friend Ozias Hatch-who had accompanied him to Sharpsburg-

"The Army of the Potomac is nothing more than McClellan's bodyguard"

A few weeks later on November 7th 1862 Lincoln relieved McClellan of his command of the Army of the Potomac.

Reb

I agree with Scott. It's terrific as is the scene.

Bob, who made the first Lincoln figure shown in your post. In general, I find that most companies don't get him right but this looks spot on. I would love to get one.

Brad

Thanks Brad,
This is most most recent one and we are happy with it too. We are redoing many personalities to refine the details.
All the best,
Ken

Ken,

After doing a search, I realized it's yours. I will be ordering it.

Brad

Further Note: Ordered!

Last edited:
Great scene and love the conversions. I will have to attempt a repaint the civilian fig as well. Looks spot on. Chris

Bob,

One of things I admire about you and your works of art is your ability to make any figure you want. Man, how I wish I had that skill........

You seem to have unlimited potential for any scene you want to make.

I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a certain figure or a particular pose, etc and because the figure didn't exist, I could go no further.

So I envy not only the end results of your fabulous works but all that you put into making them.

Mark

Antietam-September 17th 1862

In the pasture south of Miller's Cornfield B.G. Alexander Lawton's Georgia brigade had been decimated by the attack of two Union Brigades. The Georgians and Virginians who had been engaged all morning desperately needed support and were now falling back to the Hagerstown Pike.

To forestall a total Confederate collapse Brig.Gen. William Starke's Louisiana brigade-nicknamed "The Tigers" due to their ferocity on the battlefield- wheeled into position along the rail fence south side of the pike.

John Gibbons Iron Brigade having chased the Confederates out of the cornfield now reached the other side of the narrow lane at the same time as Starke's Louisiana infantrymen took up their position directly opposite them.

Scarcely 30 yards apart the blue and grey infantrymen faced each other across the chest high rail fences and traded volleys at point blank range dealing death almost "eye to eye"

The Louisiana Brigade gave covering fire to the last few Confederate survivors from the cornfield fighting who now desperately scaled the fence. The Tigers-facing murderous fire from the Iron Brigade- kept up an accurate and well sustained fire which visibly told upon the Union ranks and stopped their advance dead in its tracks.

Slowly the position melted away and the Confederates begrudgingly gave ground. But they held the line long enough for Lee and Jackson to form a defensive line along the West Woods. As the brigade retired, taking the bullet ridden body of their commander, General Starke with them, they left a grim tableau of dead and wounded heaped up on the ground and spread eagled on the fence.

Inspiration for this ACW episode was Keith Rocco's painting of the incident titled "Eye to Eye"

These next three shots of the same diorama are experimental in an attempt to portray musket smoke as per the painting by using a revamped mini-smoke machine. Didn't quite work out as I would want it. I need to rethink/redesign the smoke outlet/aperture. Back to the drawing board

Reb

Winner, winner . . . chicken dinner. Bob, thanks for posting another great series of photos and a nicely scripted story line . . . . .

:smile2: Mike

Bob, I liked the last three because they were slightly smoky, hinting at the chaos and confusion during battle.

Reb...OMG!!!!

You do the best dioramas telling the best stories.

I've always enjoyed them,

Thank you,

Carlos

Absolutely stunning portrayal Bob !

Smoke effect is great really considering that you are trying to do this in scale.

I guess the problem lays with the smoke concentration being greatest at freshly fired muskets before it disburses.

Just an idea, have you tried to do the heavier smoke concentration as a digital photo effect ?

Steve

Bob,

I think the smoky scenes are uncannily realistic! The whole incident, grim as it is, evidences the unbelievable courage of the men of that generation.

Bob

Your dio's and story telling is second to none and I think the smoke effect worked very well and enhanced the scenes.

Tom

Absolutely stunning portrayal Bob !

Smoke effect is great really considering that you are trying to do this in scale.

I guess the problem lays with the smoke concentration being greatest at freshly fired muskets before it disburses.

Just an idea, have you tried to do the heavier smoke concentration as a digital photo effect ?

Steve

Many thanks for all of your kind comments guys very much appreciated. Especially after having filled my loft with smoke which immediately set off both fire alarms. Certainly was a bit of a panic to remove the batteries before my beloved called the fire brigade. Have had a bit more success using a converted bee smoker and cartridge.

Steve, thanks for your suggestion -a perfectly sound idea but I'm a bit of an analogue man when it comes to designing/constructing dioramas-Adding/enhancing or using photo-shop type tools on my photographs always made me feel like I was cheating just a bit {sm2}. Yeah! I know call me old fashioned^&grin
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back