The American Civil War Diaries (6 Viewers)

Lee's ANV was quite ragged at different times during the war as described by witnesses, but this was caused by long marching and campaigning like Second Manassas to Antietam, after which it was again refitted back in Virginia. Toward the close of the war there were more arms and uniforms than there were men to use them as attested in the great book Confederate Odyssey by Gordon L. Jones. The website linked below provides an in-depth study of photographs taken of Confederate dead right after the taking of Fort Mahone , Petersburg, April 2 1865. It dispels the myth of the ''ragged rebel'' at the end of the war.

Just a word of caution, these images are quite sad a bit unsettling, but also great documents on the appearance of at least part of Lee's army at the closing stages of the war.

ahttp://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/the-confederate-soldier-of-fort-mahone.html

Last edited:
Great analysis. Should be used to model ACW figures by manufacturers. I recall a similar analysis of the Gettysburg images, Antietam images and the famous Frederick Maryland image of Confederates for uniforms and equipment. I don't remember who did it. There was also some work done on the Federal side as well. I do not recall who did that one either. Would be an interesting thread and I do not want to hijack Bob's thread. Chris

Hi
The myth of the 'Ragged Reb' has long been discredited. In my research I have yet to find any real evidence of this, especially in the ANV. Photos taken at Antietam, Aldie, Gettysburg, The Punch Bowl, Petersburg and Richmond all show well clad soldiers in depot uniforms.....no ragged clothing and certainly no patches. Eye witness accounts describing poorly clad Confederates can be unreliable, as many civilians, used to pre-war militia uniforms or uniformly clad Union troops, often misinterpreted plain, unadorned depot uniforms as 'non-uniform' or civilian attire. It is a shame that FL have chosen to put patches on their figures as I think it robs them of their authenticity.
It is interesting to note that during the Antietam Campaign, when Lee's men were supposed to be at their most destitute, no conclusive evidence for this has come to light. Several of Kershaw's regimental commanders cite issues of 'steel gray' uniforms and blue pants, to entire brigades. Many regimental Quartermaster returns and individual company clothing issue documents confirm this fact. Union surgeon James L Dunn wrote to his wife shortly after the battle of Antietam describing the Confederate army. He wrote..."All this stuff about their (the Rebels) extreme destitution is all bash. I have yet to find a Rebel even meanly clad or shod. They are as well shod as our own men. They are dressed in gray."
A huge, new publication by Jeff Dugdale 'Never In Rags', certainly helps to dispel the 'ragged reb' myth once and for all.
John

Recently purchased all of the new First Legion Mass Battle Confederate Infantry figures (minus the two officers who were practically identical to the originals). Four of them were carrying patches on their pants which I have a personal dislike for. There were I'm sure plenty of ragged Rebs especially toward the last 18 months of the war but to have metal figures adorned with multi-coloured pattern patches on their pants- which can make some of them look like circus clowns- is simply a personal bug in the butt for me. I would much prefer they had splits/tears and renders in their uniforms-but Hey! that's just me.

Subsequently, any carrying such odd looking squares of gingham type material are ground off and repainted with the original or nearest to colour of the pants or jackets. The picture below (ignoring the re-painted WB Reb on the left) are six First Legion Rebs who were all were sculpted with pants patches which have now been removed.

Four of the above are FLs MBs and two are First Legion originals-those collectors who have these figures will quickly identify who is who. However, whilst having the patches ground off the four MBs have had discreet shading added to their uniforms in a vain attempt to raise them from just the base colours as bought. Not yet fully complete more like a work in progress-EG-shading on the faces and a final coat of matt varnish still required. Not sure what you guys think or even if you can see a difference :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Reb

Hi Reb,

Really excellent work, well worth the effort IMO. I never liked the patches myself, really think it cheapens the figures overall look. With the improvements you've made to the MB figures it certainly makes them harder to distinguish, well done and I'd say you achieved your goal :salute:::salute::. regards Gebhard

Hi
The myth of the 'Ragged Reb' has long been discredited. In my research I have yet to find any real evidence of this, especially in the ANV. Photos taken at Antietam, Aldie, Gettysburg, The Punch Bowl, Petersburg and Richmond all show well clad soldiers in depot uniforms.....no ragged clothing and certainly no patches. Eye witness accounts describing poorly clad Confederates can be unreliable, as many civilians, used to pre-war militia uniforms or uniformly clad Union troops, often misinterpreted plain, unadorned depot uniforms as 'non-uniform' or civilian attire. It is a shame that FL have chosen to put patches on their figures as I think it robs them of their authenticity.
It is interesting to note that during the Antietam Campaign, when Lee's men were supposed to be at their most destitute, no conclusive evidence for this has come to light. Several of Kershaw's regimental commanders cite issues of 'steel gray' uniforms and blue pants, to entire brigades. Many regimental Quartermaster returns and individual company clothing issue documents confirm this fact. Union surgeon James L Dunn wrote to his wife shortly after the battle of Antietam describing the Confederate army. He wrote..."All this stuff about their (the Rebels) extreme destitution is all bash. I have yet to find a Rebel even meanly clad or shod. They are as well shod as our own men. They are dressed in gray."
A huge, new publication by Jeff Dugdale 'Never In Rags', certainly helps to dispel the 'ragged reb' myth once and for all.
John
Any further info on the new publication "Never in Rags"? I can't find anything on it, either by author or title. -- Al

Al, I could not find it either. Would be interested in taking a look at it. Chris

Hi again,
'Never in Rags' is available from Military Book Publishing (UK). It is Volume one in a series of nine and is 1100 pages long! The entire series will have over 10,000 pages. This first volume covers the Eastern theatre of war in 1863. Initially released in softback it will be released in hardback very soon I hear.
John

Even when the uniform did need mending, the common sewing practice of the day was to put the "patch" on the inside of the garment where the mend was needed. This would facilitate a neater looking mend without showing a "garish" looking or odd patch. Bob, as always, you did a marvelous job on converting these Rebs from their hobo appearance to properly uniformed soldiers.

:smile2: Mike

The Gettysburg Campaign-July 1st 1863

The Texas Brigade consisting of the 1st, 4th & 5th Texas Infantry and the 3rd Arkansas left its bivouac at Fayettesville and resumed its march along the Chambersburg Pike toward Cashtown which lay 12 miles to the east.

The brigade's movement was delayed several hours when Gen. Edward Johnson's Division of Ewell's Second Corps cut across its line of march at an intersection. Lt Col. P.A. Work of the 1st Texas Infantry called the column to a halt and then to fall out to await the passing of their Confederate colleagues.

Part of Johnson's Division was the brigade of Gen. George Hume "Maryland" Steuart. This brigade included the 1st and 3rd N.C., the 10th, 23rd, 37th Virginia and the 2nd Maryland Regiment.

They would not arrive at Gettysburg until late in the evening of July 1st where they immediately set up camp near Rock Creek. The Brigade would be involved in fierce fighting on the 2nd and 3rd July when they attacked Union troops ensconced on Culp's Hill.

Some hours later the Texas Brigade (still referred to as Hood's Brigade) resumed their march toward Gettysburg. Hood's Texans brought tremendous firepower to any Confederate assault. Individually they were highly skilled, fiercely combative in action and as tough as the legends represent Plains Texans to be.

They too would arrive late in the night of July 1st and face intense bitter fighting on the morrow 500 yards west of Little Round Top at a location that would become known to history as Devil's Den.

To Be Continued
Reb

Beautiful photography,scenics,figures,set up and everything else!^&grin
Mark

Nice to see the new color bearers and MB troops in use. Great scenes and looking fwd to the coming battle dios Chris.

Bob...

this is one of your best set ups to date in my opinion...

I love the depth you have created as they appear to be marching over a hill...

the groundwork on the sides of the road is so realistic and scaled to size...

frickin awesome!

I echo Mike's words, absolutely brilliant Bob, a totally flawless diorama. {bravo}}

Tom

Brilliant mate and a bit of history i know absolutely nothing about to go with it thank you.

Bob, even after all these years I'm still struggling to find the words my friend, just sublime. In my opinion this has always been the most expertly executed diorama thread by a long, hot, dusty, Rebel marched mile. Brilliant pics mate.
See you in London again in December
Keep it up mate!
Best
Rob

Bob, great scene and story line, never ceases to amaze me how well your dioramas and stories are put together. Can't wait for the next chapter. I just love it. Was working on a diorama of Little Round Top until I saw this and now just want to see how this story ends. Again, just incredible how you build dioramas and weave the story along with them. A true master at his craft. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back