The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

The Battle of Fleetwood Hill:- Chapter 2.

McClellan's courier located JEB Stuart and his cavalry division at St James church where the General had a hell of a fight on his hands repelling John Buford's Union cavalry squadrons.
The breathless courier saluted and delivered his message "Sir, the Yankee cavalry are at Brandy Station and are advancing toward Fleetwood Hill".
An incredulous Stuart angrily dismissed the informant with his reply "That's impossible, the whole of the Yankee cavalry are to my front".

The now nervous courier insisted that Major McClellan's message was accurate and that he had personally seen Union horse artillery and cavalry preparing to fire on the Confederate position

Stuart called for an aide, his voice was curt, harsh and imperious as he gave his orders
"Tell Brigadier General Jones to dispatch one of his regiments to ride to Fleetwood and see what all this foolishness is about".

B.G. William E. "Grumble" Jones-true to his nickname- cursed Stuart and angrily ordered the 35th Virginia cavalry out of line to ride to Fleetwood. This Confederate regiment was proudly known as the "Gray Comanches" under the command of Lt Col. Elijah "Lige" White who now ordered his men to "Mount Up".

Meanwhile back at Fleetwood after 20 minutes of shelling the Confederate position atop the hill the Union horse artillery were ordered to stop firing

McClellan's sparse force had expended its ammunition apart from a few defective rounds. During this unexpected lull in the Union artillery fire he ordered the defective shells to be loaded into the guns. Suddenly Lt John "Tucker" Carter shouted out from the front gabions.
"Yankee cavalry preparing to advance"

Indeed at the base of the hill Union troopers had dismounted and were forming up into attack lines.

At the vanguard were the veterans of the 1st New Jersey cavalry

Their commander Lt Col. Virgil Broderick positioned himself within the front rank with Major John Shellmire bringing up the second line. Broderick called out "The regiment will advance-Forward"

To Be Continued
Reb

Sensationally work!!! Perfect in all areas!!!

Best regards

Timo

Great work as usual Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

All the best

Martyn:)

Beautiful background to go with the well laid out terrain and figs. Great story line that keeps up the drama of the unfolding battle. Wonderful. Chris

Bob, as always I am most impressed with the way your figures tell the story, perfectly aligned with the commentary. Always the perfect figures for the scene. I also really love the way your backgrounds compliment and meld with the foregrounds, it's all so seamless, and the depth perception is perfect. Really well done, sir. -- Al

Bob, I hate to admit it, but you're really getting pretty good at this stuff. As Simon might say when he finally gets around to it, nice dio! :wink2:^&grin

B. :salute::

Bob, I am always amazed at your skill in staging just the right figures to support your story line, as well as your photography skills. Your backdrops and ground work makes us all envious. This new addition to your series is proof of this. Very well done sir . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Bob, I hate to admit it, but you're really getting pretty good at this stuff. As Simon might say when he finally gets around to it, nice dio! :wink2:^&grin

B. :salute::

I agree with you to a point B, he's definately showing some signs of improvement, but the law of averages would dictate if you put enough photos on a thread, one or two will at least meet a mediocre standard. His tanks still look a bit funny though.....:wink2:

I agree with you to a point B, he's definately showing some signs of improvement, but the law of averages would dictate if you put enough photos on a thread, one or two will at least meet a mediocre standard. His tanks still look a bit funny though.....:wink2:

Not if I'm the photographer, Simon!{sm2} All of my photos are substandard!

The Battle of Fleetwood Hill: Concluding Chapter

Just as Federal cavalry began to ascend Fleetwood Hill......

Lt Col. Elijah V White's 35th Battalion-The Gray Comanches charged into the Yankees. In a confused melee of slashing sabres and pistol fire they fought their way through the Federal columns.

Atop Fleetwood Hill Major McClellan's besieged men, having expended all of their artillery shells were now using rifles and pistols to hold back the Yankee cavalry. But when the Rebel cavalry charged below them the beleaguered soldiers let out a whooping and hollering as they cheered their colleagues on

The Comanches surged ahead into Captain Martin's New York artillery battery

The artillerymen attempted to hold their ground but could not withstand the mounted onslaught

The battle continued throughout the day as Stuart sent in more and more Rebel cavalry brigades until finally the Federal cavalry withdrew across the Rappahannock.

This had been a close call for J.E.B.Stuart even though he claimed it a resounding victory. In truth the battle was tactically and statistically won by the Confederate cavalry but.......

Victory however, must at times be judged by elements that have little to do with field position or casualty estimates. This Federal cavalry attack was an affirmation that Stuart's Invincibles (as both the Northern and Southern newspapers described them) were no longer quite as invincible.

This military point of view was best stated by Maj. Henry McClellan, whose heroic actions had probably saved the day for Stuart. "One result of incalculable importance certainly will follow this battle-It MADE the Federal Cavalry"

During the battle a 23 year old Federal Captain- an aide-de-camp to General Alfred Pleasonton- distinguished himself by assuming de facto command of a cavalry detachment. He was about to rise from relative obscurity into the spotlight of glory that he so craved.

His name was George Armstrong Custer

Reb

Bob...

another great set of pictures and text for your thread...

they just keep getting better and better...

nice job!

I have been waiting for your next installment Bob. So glad to see you continuing the saga here.

The story is beautifully told once again by your fantastic scenes.

Thanks again for inspiring the rest of us dio makers with such awesome work.

Mark

Bob, another great series. What is so effective is how realistic you made the horse charge with what I know are the limited resources/figs available. Flawless. Chris

Bob, a remarkable job with this chapter. I really love the swirling fight of a full-fledged cavalry charge. By pure coincidence, I just finished reading the Osprey book on Brandy Station and loved the particular section concerning the Gray Comanches and the overrunning of Martin's battery. I owned, at one point, Troiani's spectacular print of that particular action, and your pictures were like deja vu in regards to that print. Excellent job. -- Al

Bob, another great series. What is so effective is how realistic you made the horse charge with what I know are the limited resources/figs available. Flawless. Chris

Mike; Mark; Chris, thank you for your kind comments.

Agree with Chris-for when one takes in to consideration that the Battle of Fleetwood Hill, aka Brandy Station, aka Beverly Ford was the largest full scale cavalry battle ever fought on US soil, I too am amazed that ACW charging cavalry figures of both the Federal and Confederate Army have been so scant/limited from all the usual TS manufacturers.
Bob.

Bob, a remarkable job with this chapter. I really love the swirling fight of a full-fledged cavalry charge. By pure coincidence, I just finished reading the Osprey book on Brandy Station and loved the particular section concerning the Gray Comanches and the overrunning of Martin's battery. I owned, at one point, Troiani's spectacular print of that particular action, and your pictures were like deja vu in regards to that print. Excellent job. -- Al

Cheers Al and well done:- I am guilty as charged or should I say "you sussed me out" ^&grin. Inspiration for the whole three episodes of my illustrated story and this shot in particular

was indeed Troiani's painting of "Lige" White's Gray Comanches at Fleetwood Hill

Bob

Cheers Al and well done:- I am guilty as charged or should I say "you sussed me out" ^&grin. Inspiration for the whole three episodes of my illustrated story and this shot in particular

was indeed Troiani's painting of "Lige" White's Gray Comanches at Fleetwood Hill

Bob
Hardly guilty, Bob. Better let us say inspired by a great painting and artist. Your work is impeccable. :salute:: -- Al

Once again Bob, a very nicely staged and photographed chapter in your Civil War Diaries series . . . . . Thoroughly enjoyed it . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Bob

Great work as always Bob, you did that painting full justice.

Troiani really is a master, as are you................................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back