The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Bob , even after all these years your work never ceases to amaze me , yet another sublime set of scenes. Great work mate , really top drawer.

Rob.

Beautiful work Bob.........as always {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

Bob's work just keeps getting better and better. The forest and ground look just like the wilderness. -- Al

Thanks guys for your kind comments and likes for this new ACW Diaries episode. Quite a few of you including Al mentioned the forest scenics and although they took a hell of a time and a whole heap of frustration to construct I felt it was worth the effort with the end result. I have visited quite a few of the ACW battlefields Stateside but had never ventured into the interior of the Spotsylvania Wilderness-come close a couple of times but never stopped to explore. Subsequently, I had absolutely no idea what it looked like.

So once again I cheated a bit and turned to Troiani's ACW painting of Jackson's Flank Attack painting. Those of you who are familiar with the artist will be aware of the painstaking care he takes to accurately depict the actual battle terrains in all of his work as far as he can after 150 years of modern development. Therefore I pinched some of his scenics as shown here for my set-up.

I had no intention to imitate the actual painting this time but designed the layout of my vegetation to look something like Troiani's. After construction which took the best part of two days it was then just a simple task to populate the scene with umpteen WB & FL Reb figures plus a Conte mounted Stonewall Jackson figure way back in the background as shown in the original painting.

Bob

Brilliantly done Bob. One of the many things from the Ken Burns series that always sticks in my mind is that very description you give te the stampede of animals out of the way in the face of Rebs advancing through the woods. ( Not to mention the audacity of the attack itself of course!)

Keep em coming Bob!

Not concerning ACW but linked to your interest in Americana. My sis in law and husband just about to leave for 3 week driving holiday out there. For two nights they are staying at a trailer park where you rent trailers that movie stars used whilst staying on set. These include those of Cary Grant , Marilyn Monroe , Clark Gable etc. And believe it or not Bob they are staying in the trailer used by the Duke whilst filming ' The Searchers ' . ^&cool

Bob,

I have to comment on your outstanding work. I always look forward to each new chapter of your ACW Diaries. The time and effort you put into each scene shows and it certainly pays off in a grand way! Please don't make us wait too long before you do the next segment.

Mark

Thanks guys for your kind comments and likes for this new ACW Diaries episode. Quite a few of you including Al mentioned the forest scenics and although they took a hell of a time and a whole heap of frustration to construct I felt it was worth the effort with the end result. I have visited quite a few of the ACW battlefields Stateside but had never ventured into the interior of the Spotsylvania Wilderness-come close a couple of times but never stopped to explore. Subsequently, I had absolutely no idea what it looked like.

So once again I cheated a bit and turned to Troiani's ACW painting of Jackson's Flank Attack painting. Those of you who are familiar with the artist will be aware of the painstaking care he takes to accurately depict the actual battle terrains in all of his work as far as he can after 150 years of modern development. Therefore I pinched some of his scenics as shown here for my set-up.

I had no intention to imitate the actual painting this time but designed the layout of my vegetation to look something like Troiani's. After construction which took the best part of two days it was then just a simple task to populate the scene with umpteen WB & FL Reb figures plus a Conte mounted Stonewall Jackson figure way back in the background as shown in the original painting.

Bob

Bob,
Another terrific effort on your part; the second I viewed this, the Troiani painting immediately came to mind.

As others have said, the groundwork is just spectacular, really sets the whole scene off.

This is one of the main things I've tried to do with my 20mm layouts through use of the Teddy Bear Fur mats; boards with flocking on them as I used in the past look like pool tables, too pristine and fine looking, the Teddy Bear Fur really brings the scenes to life.

I look forward to your next effort...............

The Battle of Fleetwood Hill-June 9th 1863-Chapter 1.

Confederate Cavalry General JEB Stuart had been surprised when word reached him that a Federal Cavalry Division was attacking his outposts at Beverly Ford. Leaving his HQ at Fleetwood Hill Stuart and his cavalry regiments responded quickly to the Union challenge.

But a second surprise-and near disaster-arrived later that day when a second division of Federal Cavalry under the command of Brig Gen David M Gregg had crossed Kelly's Ford and now threatened Stuart's rear with every intention to take the strategic position of Fleetwood Hill

At the bottom of the hill a battery of Union horse artillery were unlimbering and positioning their guns to shell the ridge

Major Henry McClellan was manning the Confederate HQ but all he had at his disposal were just two artillery pieces and very little ammunition. Nevertheless he quickly ordered them into position.

Placing the guns in a commanding position on the top of the hill, McClellan decided to open fire on the Federal artillery with the few shells and solid shot that remained in the limber chest

Meanwhile the Union artillery captain had received his orders-"Blast those Rebs off the top of that hill"

As McClellan's gun crews frantically loaded their cannon, he ordered a courier to ride like the devil and find Gen Stuart and tell him the enemy were attacking Fleetwood HQ.

It now became a race to who would be the first to fire

McClellan knew that what he was about to order was pure bluff but if he could just delay those Yankee's until............
"Fire when ready captain"

McClellan's artillery officer shouted "FIRE!". The Battle of Fleetwood Hill had begun.

TO BE CONTINUED
Reb

I like where this one is going. Brandy Station gets it's just due. Looks really good, Bob. -- Al

Excellent Bob now I'm looking forward to Chapter 2 {bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

Bob...

every picture could be framed and hung on the wall...

all little masterpieces...

my favorite...

the gabions with the weeds growing out of the dirt...

{bravo}}{bravo}}:salute::Excellently staged and photographed Bob . . . . . Very well done sir . . . . Now waiting anxiously for the next episode release . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Looking great as usual Bob.

Are there a lot of conversions in the Rebel artillery crews as I'm not recognizing a lot of the figures.

One of my favorite aspects of your dioramas is identifying the figures...........................

Stunning work, beautifully photographed. Now, if WB would only release the cavalry figs promised we could see the cavalry charges. Hint to Ken. :wink2: Chris

Bob...

every picture could be framed and hung on the wall...

all little masterpieces...

my favorite...

the gabions with the weeds growing out of the dirt...

Thanks for all of your comments guys. Mike thank you and please note the two artillery pieces you kindly sent me are front and centre in the pictures. Mike Mestell was absolutely correct when he told you "Bob can always use more cannon" :salute::

Looking great as usual Bob.

Are there a lot of conversions in the Rebel artillery crews as I'm not recognizing a lot of the figures.

Well spotted George there are indeed a few conversions/repaints amongst both the Reb & Yank gun crews. When Dave from TMTerrain lost his dealership with Collectors Showcase he kindly gave me quite a few boxes of CS ACW figures when he cleared out the last of his stock. I had most of them already so they all eventually went onto the conversion conveyor belt. Two of the conversions which I am particularly fond of are the two in the centre of this shot.

Here's a closer shot-Originally CS Union trail spike men but simply "converted" by adding a shovel/spade to the ends of their spikes have now made them a little more versatile for a whole variety of scenarios in camp as well as on the battlefield. Here they are shown digging the ground to form an earth barrier to reduce the recoil of the artillery piece.

Thanks again guys your comments are always appreciated from this end
Bob

Thanks for all of your comments guys. Mike thank you and please note the two artillery pieces you kindly sent me are front and centre in the pictures. Mike Mestell was absolutely correct when he told you "Bob can always use more cannon" :salute::
Bob

Bob...

delighted you found a use for them...

and thank you for taking care of me...

The Battle of Fleetwood Hill:- Chapter 2.

McClellan's courier located JEB Stuart and his cavalry division at St James church where the General had a hell of a fight on his hands repelling John Buford's Union cavalry squadrons.
The breathless courier saluted and delivered his message "Sir, the Yankee cavalry are at Brandy Station and are advancing toward Fleetwood Hill".
An incredulous Stuart angrily dismissed the informant with his reply "That's impossible, the whole of the Yankee cavalry are to my front".

The now nervous courier insisted that Major McClellan's message was accurate and that he had personally seen Union horse artillery and cavalry preparing to fire on the Confederate position

Stuart called for an aide, his voice was curt, harsh and imperious as he gave his orders
"Tell Brigadier General Jones to dispatch one of his regiments to ride to Fleetwood and see what all this foolishness is about".

B.G. William E. "Grumble" Jones-true to his nickname- cursed Stuart and angrily ordered the 35th Virginia cavalry out of line to ride to Fleetwood. This Confederate regiment was proudly known as the "Gray Comanches" under the command of Lt Col. Elijah "Lige" White who now ordered his men to "Mount Up".

Meanwhile back at Fleetwood after 20 minutes of shelling the Confederate position atop the hill the Union horse artillery were ordered to stop firing

McClellan's sparse force had expended its ammunition apart from a few defective rounds. During this unexpected lull in the Union artillery fire he ordered the defective shells to be loaded into the guns. Suddenly Lt John "Tucker" Carter shouted out from the front gabions.
"Yankee cavalry preparing to advance"

Indeed at the base of the hill Union troopers had dismounted and were forming up into attack lines.

At the vanguard were the veterans of the 1st New Jersey cavalry

Their commander Lt Col. Virgil Broderick positioned himself within the front rank with Major John Shellmire bringing up the second line. Broderick called out "The regiment will advance-Forward"

To Be Continued
Reb

it's all working in this one Bob...

back drop...ground work...figure placement...trees...photography and text...

this is why your work gets invited to magazines...

it's terrific!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back