The American Civil War Diaries (11 Viewers)

The Iron Brigade on the First Day at Gettysburg.

It was evident to both the Federals and Confederates that the key to hold McPherson's Ridge was the five acre wood adjacent to the McPherson farm. Archer's Confederate Brigade were pushing across Willoughby Run and starting for the western slope of the ridge. At the same time on the eastern face of the ridge M.G.John F Reynolds was driving the Iron Brigade into action

First in line were the 2nd Wisconsin regiment. Orders rang out "Forward into line" and then "Forward double quick", the westerners loading their weapons as they ran

A tremendous volley erupted from the Confederate line. Minie balls thudded into the tree trunks and the first line of Black Hats which immediately felled 30% of the regiment

Reynolds saw the 2nd shudder under the impact of the volley and rode forward to encourage them shouting "Forward men, forward for God's sake and drive those fellows out of the woods" Reynolds would immediately turn to see if the rest of the IB were coming up when a bullet struck him behind his right ear. He was dead before his body hit the ground.

Reynold's orderly 18 year old Sgt. Charles Veil would state later-"I have seen many men killed in action, but I never saw a bullet do its work so instantly as did the one that struck General Reynolds"

This particular episode was inspired by........

Troiani's painting For-God's-Sake- Forward

Reb

Another classic Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

Bob, from a man a few words ..... Perfection! :wink2:^&grin

B.

The Iron Brigade on the First Day at Gettysburg.

It was evident to both the Federals and Confederates that the key to hold McPherson's Ridge was the five acre wood adjacent to the McPherson farm. Archer's Confederate Brigade were pushing across Willoughby Run and starting for the western slope of the ridge. At the same time on the eastern face of the ridge M.G.John F Reynolds was driving the Iron Brigade into action

First in line were the 2nd Wisconsin regiment. Orders rang out "Forward into line" and then "Forward double quick", the westerners loading their weapons as they ran

A tremendous volley erupted from the Confederate line. Minie balls thudded into the tree trunks and the first line of Black Hats which immediately felled 30% of the regiment

Reynolds saw the 2nd shudder under the impact of the volley and rode forward to encourage them shouting "Forward men, forward for God's sake and drive those fellows out of the woods" Reynolds would immediately turn to see if the rest of the IB were coming up when a bullet struck him behind his right ear. He was dead before his body hit the ground.

Reynold's orderly 18 year old Sgt. Charles Veil would state later-"I have seen many men killed in action, but I never saw a bullet do its work so instantly as did the one that struck General Reynolds"

This particular episode was inspired by........

Troiani's painting For-God's-Sake- Forward

Reb

Super! Congrats yet again! C

Superbly done as the atmosphere and composition give a real feel to moving into action through the woods. I am struck at how realistic your groundwork and trees are. It is a perfect meshing of elements. The mass of blue uniforms I find very visually impressive. -- Al

Great dio of the 2nd Wisconsin.... My wife and I walked through those woods last Fall at dusk. No one around except an owl hooting somewhere up in the trees.

Bob . . . . a great interpretation of a great painting . . . . . Very well done sir . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Fantastic Bob.......as always!! Where did you get the trees? Can you give some info on them?

Mark

Brilliant Bob, just brilliant. Like Al said, the groundwork is just spectacular, sets the entire scene off.

I was just there a few weeks ago as a matter of fact.

Thanks for sharing your work and glad I could lend an assist with it...........:wink2:

Hadn't checked the diodarmas thread in a while and what a nice surprise. Like Al and George the trees and terrain are right out of the print. The customized Reynolds fig turned out perfect for the dio. Another masterpiece. Chris

Just what I'd hoped to see, incredible depiction of a great print. Thanks so much for sharing your passion with us, a real treat and a highlight for me.. best regards Gebhard

Finally got around to unpacking my purchases from June's London show. As I've mentioned before when I arrive I make an immediate bee-line for one particular dealer. He has a treble table full of trays containing unboxed but brand new W Britain figures (from all eras). Single figures are between £5-10.00 and any mounted are £15-20.00. I always scan his ACW tray and select any that can be utilised as rank fillers.

Last month I picked up six Iron Brigade and two Confederates for the princely sum of £45.00. That's about $70.00 bucks for eight WB figures which is a darn good deal in my book. As per normal I already had the originals so decided they needed a very slight conversion and some hirsute additions to differentiate them from their colleagues.

First two of the six are now completed.Originals are on the left in the picture and their dopplegangers on the right.

Not much can be done with the standard IB uniforms and Hardee hats but a slight repositioning of a right hand and a left leg on each figure just changed the pose enough from the original. Added facial whiskers and hair extensions and Voila! two "slightly different Black Hats to join the ranks" at a cost of just £12.00.

Likewise with this Confederate infantryman. Original on the right doppleganger on the left

I found this next guy- who was battered and chipped- on another dealer's table in what he called his "scrap box". I recognised it as one figure of a triple WB set from eons ago. If I remember correctly it was a medal of honor tribute set no doubt a poor representation of Alonzo Cushing at Gettysburg. Never did like those old Chinese sculpted early Britain's figures as their scale fluctuated with practically every release. Nevertheless, I thought he might make a filler casualty for a field hospital dio and the dealer only wanted £1.00 for him. Once repainted his expression of absolute trauma lent itself to a having a leg blown off scenario..... so out came the regimental surgeon's saw.

A bit gruesome I must admit but quite common in war especially the ACW.....but also now quite a unique figure :rolleyes2:

Reb

another award winning display of your collection with very detailed groundwork...
this is why your dioramas grace the cover of collector's magazines...
great job Bob...

Bob, great work on the conversions, look forward to your next chapter of the Diaries. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back