The American Civil War Diaries (6 Viewers)

Thanks for all the comments and likes guys

Great work Bob!!! Do.you have the letter writer from ONTC? That one is pretty good for a camp scene. I bought him to use in a field hospital display.

Never did get around to purchasing the letter writer-wish I had. What I did have though- but ditched a few years back- were the original camp set from Britain's which I believe were Chinese sculpted-You know the ones-skinny legs and melon heads ^&grin

The conversions are superb Bob. The fig laying on the bed with the dog adds such a great touch of realism to the camp scene. A grand scene all around. Chris

Thanks Chris-the figure on the camp cot is actually an old Britain's Alamo figure of Jim Bowie. By placing an old hound dog next to him just seemed to fit the scene.

Bob

"Appomattox" came into common usage as signifying the end of the American Civil War, though Lee only surrendered one army. However, to most people, North and South, this army by then had come to represent the only effective Confederate force, and as such its surrender symbolised the end of Confederate armed resistance.

After returning from the surrender meeting with Grant, Lee holding back his tears addressed his men for the last time.

"Men, we have fought the war together and I have done the best I could for you. You will be paroled and must now return to your homes until exchanged"

Lee's men cheered their beloved leader and then slowly began to leave the area of Appomattox. Despondent, they left singly, in pairs and in small groups according to their destinations. They walked off in all directions except north, beginning foot journeys to South Carolina, to Mississippi and Louisiana, to Tennessee and Texas.

For many of them it would be a long arduous walk home

Reb

Bob,
Of all the wonderful scenes you have produced, and there have been many, these scenes of the two Rebs on the start of the 'Long arduous walk home' are truely touching and I think the best you have done......... the tree on the hill reminds of 'Gone with the wind'......:salute:::salute::
Wayne.

Good scene. But I know this is not the end of the story, unlike our Confederate friends. :wink2: Chris

What a powerful diorama with just two figures it succeeds in telling a story.

Just goes to show you don't need lots just the skill and you have that in buckets.

Regards
Mark

Bob, since I first saw your dioramas on this forum all those years ago I have never failed to be moved by your skill, prowess and ability to capture both drama and emotion.This scene as Wayne has already said is indeed moving, how can that be in a diorama featuring little metal soldiers?? Just brilliant. There are many very talented scene makers in this hobby, but you Bob remain the best of them all.

Best (See you in London mate)

Rob

Pardee's Field-Culp's Hill 10.00am July 3rd 1863

Ewell's II Corps launched an assault on Culp's Hill as a diversion for Longstreet's troops advance toward Cemetery Ridge. Ewell was ordered by Lee to attack at 10.00am in conjunction with Longstreet. But Longstreet delayed his attack for almost five hours and no-one thought to tell Ewell. Twice his attacks were hurled back by intense fire from the Federals who were entrenched behind strong breastworks.

On the third and last attempt Major General Edward Johnson ordered the 1st Maryland Battalion to attack on the southern flank of Culp's Hill across a clearing known as Pardee's Field.

Major William W Goldsborough told a staff officer "It is nothing less than murder to send our men into that slaughter pen. I fear we are going to usher many souls into eternity today"

The Battalion mascot-a small mongrel dog raced ahead of the troops growling and barking at the Federal line

As the Marylanders moved forward under a hail of Federal fire they passed over and hurled contempt upon the men of the 37th Virginia who had fallen prone and refused to advance further into the inferno

The casualties sustained by the 1st Marylanders amounted to 50% of their number (including the small dog). The sacrifice of the gallant Marylanders stand as one of the many great tragedies of the ACW

Inspiration for this episode of the ACW Diaries and in particular this shot

Was this depiction of the assault painted by Don Troiani -titled Band of Brothers

Reb

As always Bob, this is a great installment with fabulous scenes that inspire the rest of us dio makers and history buffs.

Mark

Great work! Your dioramas are breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Brendan

Outstanding! I concur: a very spirited rendition of the Troiani painting!

Come to think of it, a number of figures in Troiani's 'Band of Brothers' would look great rendered in 1/32. I especially like the natty fellow in the center holding the brim of his kepi, as well as the officer on the right.

Bob,
Spectacular to say the least. You nailed not only the moment but the painting depicting it as well.

Been to that spot on the battlefield several times; that field is huge, nothing but open ground and to cross it was simply murder for sure. Amazing to me some of the charges made during the war where success was virtually impossible, yet they made the charges anyway..............

Absolutely a fantastic arrangement once again of your photographic genious Bob. A moment in history near and dear to my heart. A family ancestor (John Ayres Entsminger) saw action at Culp's Hill on July 3, 1863 so your portrayal here of this slug fest caught my attention and interest. Uncle John was a member of Company E, 52nd Virigina Infantry . . . part of Smith's Brigade, along with the 31st and 49th Virginia Infantry Regiments, Johnson's Division.

Sergeant W. O. Johnson of the 49th VA described the assualt on Culp's Hill: "Our two regiments (49th and 52nd . . . the 31st was held in reserve) charged and drove everything before us until we came to a small field at the foot of Culp's Hill on the bank of Rocky Run where the Yankees opened on us with grape and canister from a 20 gun battery and in less than 5 minutes killed and wounded 150 of our two regiments, which caused a halt . . . "

Captain Cyrus Benton "Bent" Coiner, commading Company B of the 52nd (commenting on the Regiment's attempt to come to the relief of the 2nd VA that afternoon) summed up this part of the fight: "General Smith took us into battle with out orders and had us badly cut up and we accomplished nothing".

The 52nd suffered severe casualties but nothing nearly as many as the 49th which lost 100 men out of about 250 engaged. Company E of the 52nd VA sufferd 2 KIA and 3 WIA at Culp's Hill. Uncle John survived the ordeal.

Oh what might have been if Ewell's and Longstreet's assualts on this day could have been better coordinated . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Wonderful recreation of one of my favorite Troiani paintings and an action of particular pride to Maryland ACW buffs. Oddly enough, with all the times I've been to Gettysburg, I've only visited the scene of this action one time, and not very recently. I will make an effort to visit the ground the next time I get up there. Very well done. -- Al

Just having another look though Mr Bob's wonderful thread. Its a source of real enjoyment for me and one which highlights all the good things in our wonderful hobby. I must admit to getting a little impatient for the next installment, here is one Marylander who is urging Bob forward to the next battle :wink2:^&grin. regards Gebhard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back