The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

Grand work, Bob. I really like the wood plank buildings and the cherry trees. The scenes work very well and the figure of Lee doffing his hat to Hill is just wonderful. I can say that I actually feel like I was watching the event unfold, watching from a window across the street. -- Al

Always impressed with your work. You are definitely a master at your craft and a mentor to us all. Thanks again for your beautiful presentation of ACW events. I salute you. :salute::

Bob, this is just another awesome ACW diorama in this thread. From the use of buildings to illustrate the town, to the civilian figures and then finishing with the Confederate column pushing to Gettysburg. As always , the story line is just as important as the figures as it sets the scene and then lets the diorama paint the picture. Just awesome. You are truly the master at this craft. As always, looking forward to your next posts. Chris:salute::

I just stumbled onto your latest Bob and goodness is it well done! {bravo}}

Tom

Hi Bob,
Absolutely love your latest creation showing the Cashtown Inn, I have stayed there a few times over the years and even had a Ghost encounter {eek3}. I think I see the Trostle Farm in the background I would recognize that brick pattern and cannonball hole anywhere:wink2:. I was just walking the field yesterday and you may be interested to know they are replacing the roof on the ol Trostle Farm. I tried to save a piece of the old wood from the dumpster but was told to hit the road^&grin.

As always beautiful work, everything about it is a true joy to view. I just love your creations... I think I told you some time ago they remind me of my youth and almost monthly visits with family to Gettysburg, we always had to visit Charlie Weavers Museum. His handmade creations just had us kids mesmerized, here is a link to an article about him http://www.gettysburgbattlefieldtours.com/charlie-weavers-carvings-on-display/ . His work always inspired us to collect and even try to create our own TS displays just as I'm sure your inspiring both the young and old today :salute::.

I really thank you for sharing your work, it really is a joy to view :salute::. I always send a link to my brother and he loves your work as well. It Just brings back so many memories, I also love the addition of FL figures just beautiful.. Thanks again regards Gebhard

As Armistead and his Virginians advanced toward the copse of trees he saw to his right that Kemper's brigade had broken. Pettigrew's men were still coming up on his left-not many -not enough. An experienced infantry officer Armistead instinctively knew-it's impossible now, all those dead boys, we have failed and it cannot be done.

But as he came up behind Garnett's now stalled survivors, drawn by the pluck of that great force within, for home, for country-Armistead rushed forward shouting "Virginians! With me! With me!

Enthused by their gallant leader 200 Confederate soldiers surged forward into immortality

The flags of the 14th, 53rd, 56th and 57th Virginia followed their intrepid general. Armistead leapt atop the stone wall, balanced high on the stones he saw that those blue boys were now falling back from their guns

A hot slap of air brushed his face as a great blast of canister ripped through the troops to his right. He turned to the men behind him "Give them the cold steel boys"

Armistead came down off of the wall. He had done it, had gotten inside. He felt the exhilaration of incredible joy as he watched a corporal of the 53rd Virginia-Robert Tyler Jones, no less- a grandson of US president, John Tyler-plant the regimental colours on the stones.

A few of Cushing's Federal gunners were fighting with hand spikes, pistols, sabres, ram-rods in a futile attempt to hold their ground.

But Armistead was not interested in bogging down into a slugging match around the trees. Directly ahead of him was nothing but a Union provost guard, dead horses and overturned wagons on the Taneytown Road.

Against all odds was there now the glimmer of a chance of victory? Armistead quickly called to the men gathered around him
"They're running boys, turn this artillery on them. Turn the guns"

To Be Concluded

Once again guys inspiration for this episode came from this Don Troiani painting

Reb

Looks great as usual Bob, your reproductions of Troiani paintings are remarkable, you nail 95% of the poses, talk about attention to detail. Amazing that what, 250 Confederates made it up and over that wall; if I am not mistaken, they were all either killed, wounded or captured.........great work, just terrific.

Your first few photos Bob are almost like a panoramic painting in their own right.

What a melee and as per usual Bob you have captured this battle magnificently in your dio!

Tom

I have never seen dioramas that can get over the intensity of drama as yours do Bob, sublime work as always mate. Will you be in London in December??

Rob

Your first few photos Bob are almost like a panoramic painting in their own right.
This was exactly my reaction. When I first pulled it up, I thought I was looking at a Troiani painting. It took me several seconds to realize they were a dio. The depth and clarity of the pictures is amazing. Stunning work. -- Al

Wonderful depiction Bob. Like the multiple views of Armistead crossing the wall. You expertly worked the rock base with the fig into the scene. Great story told with feeling! Chris

Wayne, George, Brad, Tom, Rob, Al, Chris many thanks for your kind comments and all the likes which as always are very much appreciated.

This latest episode really did take a hell of a time to set up and shoot and I must have taken over 800 shots to get just an acceptable dozen. Each time a figure was either positioned wrong or just didn't fit the scene or the shadows were blanching the overall colour of the picture or the height and breadth of the shot just didn't look right to capture the heat of that final battle. Have to admit after two weeks of work on it I nearly gave up on attempting to imitate the essence of Troiani's painting by using TS's. In fact this particular hobby of mine in depicting dioramas of historical ACW scenes from paintings/illustrations is- for me- still very much a work in progress and development but more importantly it really is a lot of fun.

Rob you old dog good to see you've popped your head above the parapet after your sabbatical. Yes I have every intention of attending London on the 6th December and will still be in the Capital on Pearl Harbor day too. According to the Brit Brigade's calculations due to your elongated absences you owe us at least three hefty drinks apiece, subsequently, bring your credit cards with you ^&grin. Look forward to chewing the cud with you, mate.

Thanks again guys

Bob

Wayne, George, Brad, Tom, Rob, Al, Chris many thanks for your kind comments and all the likes which as always are very much appreciated.

This latest episode really did take a hell of a time to set up and shoot and I must have taken over 800 shots to get just an acceptable dozen. Each time a figure was either positioned wrong or just didn't fit the scene or the shadows were blanching the overall colour of the picture or the height and breadth of the shot just didn't look right to capture the heat of that final battle. Have to admit after two weeks of work on it I nearly gave up on attempting to imitate the essence of Troiani's painting by using TS's. In fact this particular hobby of mine in depicting dioramas of historical ACW scenes from paintings/illustrations is- for me- still very much a work in progress and development but more importantly it really is a lot of fun.

Rob you old dog good to see you've popped your head above the parapet after your sabbatical. Yes I have every intention of attending London on the 6th December and will still be in the Capital on Pearl Harbor day too. According to the Brit Brigade's calculations due to your elongated absences you owe us at least three hefty drinks apiece, subsequently, bring your credit cards with you . Look forward to chewing the cud with you, mate.
Thanks again guys

Bob

Hey Bob,

Great news my friend and drinks most definitely on me, I've missed seeing everyone these last few shows so am really looking forward to putting that right in December, will look forward to our chat mate as I always do:salute::

Best (say hi to Trudi for me)
Rob

As Armistead and his Virginians advanced toward the copse of trees he saw to his right that Kemper's brigade had broken. Pettigrew's men were still coming up on his left-not many -not enough. An experienced infantry officer Armistead instinctively knew-it's impossible now, all those dead boys, we have failed and it cannot be done.

But as he came up behind Garnett's now stalled survivors, drawn by the pluck of that great force within, for home, for country-Armistead rushed forward shouting "Virginians! With me! With me!

Enthused by their gallant leader 200 Confederate soldiers surged forward into immortality

The flags of the 14th, 53rd, 56th and 57th Virginia followed their intrepid general. Armistead leapt atop the stone wall, balanced high on the stones he saw that those blue boys were now falling back from their guns

A hot slap of air brushed his face as a great blast of canister ripped through the troops to his right. He turned to the men behind him "Give them the cold steel boys"

Armistead came down off of the wall. He had done it, had gotten inside. He felt the exhilaration of incredible joy as he watched a corporal of the 53rd Virginia-Robert Tyler Jones, no less- a grandson of US president, John Tyler-plant the regimental colours on the stones.

A few of Cushing's Federal gunners were fighting with hand spikes, pistols, sabres, ram-rods in a futile attempt to hold their ground.

But Armistead was not interested in bogging down into a slugging match around the trees. Directly ahead of him was nothing but a Union provost guard, dead horses and overturned wagons on the Taneytown Road.

Against all odds was there now the glimmer of a chance of victory? Armistead quickly called to the men gathered around him
"They're running boys, turn this artillery on them. Turn the guns"

To Be Concluded

Once again guys inspiration for this episode came from this Don Troiani painting

Reb

Another masterpiece! Great job UKReb

Carlos

Hi Bob,
Really a wonderful piece of work, just like everyone else who takes the time to appreciate your hard work and all the painstaking effort you put into your scenes I'm amazed :salute::. The positioning of each and every figure shows just how much thought goes into creating a scene, thanks for not giving up on this one. Well worth all the effort, greatly appreciated and enjoyed. I would love to see a behind the scenes photo of your staging area :wink2:. Thanks again for sharing your work. All the best Gebhard

I love WO2 dioramas, but these civil war stories( dioramas) made by UkReb are simply the best of the best and are absolutely my favorites.

Many thanks guys for your kind comments-Always very much appreciated

Bob

Outstanding work, Bob! Heartiest congrats on yet another masterpiece!!! Colman

Another masterpiece! Great job UKReb

Carlos

I love WO2 dioramas, but these civil war stories( dioramas) made by UkReb are simply the best of the best and are absolutely my favorites.

Hi Bob,
Really a wonderful piece of work, just like everyone else who takes the time to appreciate your hard work and all the painstaking effort you put into your scenes I'm amazed :salute::. The positioning of each and every figure shows just how much thought goes into creating a scene, thanks for not giving up on this one. Well worth all the effort, greatly appreciated and enjoyed. I would love to see a behind the scenes photo of your staging area :wink2:. Thanks again for sharing your work. All the best Gebhard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back