The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

Battle of the Wilderness:- May 6th 1864-Virginia.

As the Texan brigade advanced across Widow Tapp's Field. Robert E Lee spurred his horse Traveller onward to lead the charge. The Texans noticing Lee's foolhardy intention and alarmed for his safety began to shout along the line, "Lee to the rear!". Some of the men pleaded with him directly "Go back, General Lee, Go back".

After conferring with General Longstreet- who assured him that he had the matter in hand, Lee thought better of his spontaneous urge to attack with the men.

As he left the field Lee lifted his hat to acknowledge the cheering Texans. One Confederate soldier would write in his diary "I thought him at that moment the grandest specimen of manhood I ever beheld"

Reb

Another great recreation Bob. Especially like the effect you've captured with the mass of troops. Very lifelike display. Chris

Great dio Reb! But the guy on the ground bleeding his guts out dose not seam as happy to see Lee as the rest of the guys are????:rolleyes2: ^&grin

I see you have been working your magic once again Bob with photos and prose . . . . . Another outstanding sequel to your "Diaries". Nice to see the new FL figures of Lee and Longstreet in use . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Great dio Reb! But the guy on the ground bleeding his guts out dose not seam as happy to see Lee as the rest of the guys are????:rolleyes2: ^&grin

^&grin^&grin^&grin. Tim that is exactly what I thought but it was the nearest figure I had to match Troiani's figure on the far right of his painting

I have no idea what the purpose of this lone figure is as he appears to be a casualty, either that or the cheering Texans have just woken him up from a doze ^&grin

But you got me a thinkin' that a much more appropriate shot would be to extend the line of the cheering troops behind Lee but in front of Longstreet like thus..........

Thanks for your input Tim, much appreciated. However, I never thought I would have the audacity to even dare suggest an improvement of a Troiani print, let alone execute one {eek3}

Bob

Yet another painting brought to life, looks great Bob. On my last visit to the area, I visited this section of The Wilderness battlefield, that field is huge, the old Confederate breastworks are still there. There is also a marker on the battlefield near the area this painting depicts, they use a copy of the painting on the marker as a matter of fact.

Bob,

Sorry for total absence of posts and contact of late mate, have been working absurd hours and frankly am asleep when at home. Just wanted to say what stunning work my friend , just stunning. Your dioramas have always been a real highlight of this forum and they just get better as the years go by, you're a true artist Bob.

Best
Rob

3.15 pm July 3rd 1863:Gettysburg

Pickett's Virginians approached the heavy post-and-board fence running along the Emmitsburg Road

The advance so far had afforded Garnett's regiments some protection by the rolling terrain that included the swell of the Emmitsburg Road

Federal skirmishers had halted the Reb pioneers from breaking down the fences along the road. The Confederate officers knew that this would pose a major problem as the single most important factor of any infantry attack is momentum. The post-and-rail fence was now going to impede their advance but in perfect alignment and closed ranks the long line of grey pushed steadily forward

Now almost up to the fence finally orders rang out along the lines "Don't crowd boy's just climb that fence as fast as you can"

The fence proved almost as good an obstacle as a military abatis would have been as the men clumsily crowded each other as they began to climb

A withering fire of shot and shrapnel hit the Confederate front line-a single shell scythed a swath of five men before it burst

Now under heavy Federal fire with casualties mounting the Reb officers knew the impulse for any soldier would be to break the line and induce them to stop and fire. Frantically they ordered the men to keep moving forward

But to move forward they needed to scale the second fence

And by doing so they would become prime targets for the Federal infantry behind that low stone wall to their front. With gritted teeth the Virginians moved toward the second fence

To Be Continued

Reb

Bob,

You've added yet another unbelievable looking installment to your series! Great job and please hurry up on the next installment.....

Mark

Absolutely brilliantly staged anbd photographed Bob. This series of photos is even better than the "sneak peak" you sent me last month. The newly released WB Turnpike fence sets with Confederates is perhaps some of the best ACW releases to date and you have certainly capitalized on their uniqueness and use capabilities. I take my campaign weary "beehive" hat off to you sir . . . . .Huzzah! I am really likeing this . . .
:smile2: Mike

Outstanding addition to the series. The view through the fence line is unique. Perhaps as it looked to some of the Federal infantry. Like the realism of the road with the tracks. Nothing like a massed infantry scene with the regts crowded together depicted by the many flags. Great work. Chris

Super sequence!!! Congrats from the neighbouring island! C

3.15 pm July 3rd 1863:Gettysburg

Pickett's Virginians approached the heavy post-and-board fence running along the Emmitsburg Road

The advance so far had afforded Garnett's regiments some protection by the rolling terrain that included the swell of the Emmitsburg Road

Federal skirmishers had halted the Reb pioneers from breaking down the fences along the road. The Confederate officers knew that this would pose a major problem as the single most important factor of any infantry attack is momentum. The post-and-rail fence was now going to impede their advance but in perfect alignment and closed ranks the long line of grey pushed steadily forward

Now almost up to the fence finally orders rang out along the lines "Don't crowd boy's just climb that fence as fast as you can"

The fence proved almost as good an obstacle as a military abatis would have been as the men clumsily crowded each other as they began to climb

A withering fire of shot and shrapnel hit the Confederate front line-a single shell scythed a swath of five men before it burst

Now under heavy Federal fire with casualties mounting the Reb officers knew the impulse for any soldier would be to break the line and induce them to stop and fire. Frantically they ordered the men to keep moving forward

But to move forward they needed to scale the second fence

And by doing so they would become prime targets for the Federal infantry behind that low stone wall to their front. With gritted teeth the Virginians moved toward the second fence

To Be Continued

Reb

Bob, I absolutely love these 'through the fence' POV shots. The mass of soldiers moving towards the viewer, as seen through the fence, is just so very impressive. Really catches the desperation and determination. Remarkable work with the figure placement and use of the new fence sections. -- Al

The Last Stand of the Iron Brigade:-Gettysburg 1st July 1863.

The tenacity of the 26th North Carolina's assault forced the 24th Michigan back to a third line in Herbst Woods. As the 24th took up station on their new line, Private August Earnest, holding the regimental colours, was shot and killed.
Colonel Henry A Morrow himself picked up the colours and called out to his men to "Rally and Hold".

Unbeknownst to Col. Morrow and the men of the 24th, the 19th Indiana, the regiment on their left had begun to give way under the intense Confederate attack. As more of his men fell dead and wounded around him and his left flank now threatened Morrow gave the order to fall back and the 24th was forced to retreat to Seminary Ridge. The Iron Brigade had fought their last battle.

Four of the newly released First Legion Iron Brigade front and centre

And another...... running for his life in this scenario ^&grin

Reb

Uncanny recreation, Bob. Very intense. I see the many figures from the Troiani set mixed in. It really is a superb set. I liked it so much that I purchased one even though buying Yankee Blue made this Southern boy queasy.:wink2: Like your new FL figures as well. Now we need to see the 'Boy Colonel' leading his Tarheels into the muzzles of the Iron Brigades rifles. ^&cool -- Al

Awesome Bob, just awesome, excellent depiction of the last stand of The Iron Brigade; their delaying action on the first day allowed the Union Army to form a strong defensive line in the famous fishhook shape.

You did the painting justice, that is for sure. Very ironic for me to see this as I was standing on that very ground a week ago tomorrow, my annual trip to the most hallowed ground in these United States.

The battle that helped preserve the Union..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back