The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

Look at that, three copies sold already; three down, 3,245,670 to go to break even........:wink2:

Four ...

With due respects George, don't believe you are the first to suggest Bob compile a book :salute::

Bests
OD

Put me down for 2 copies!!! It gets to a point where you run out of superlatives to describe Bobs work, and I wish I could describe how much I enjoy his postings rather then some positive remarks but that's all I got mate, I wish you could post a live feed video of you at work on one of these set ups and lets us watch how you set the scenes up so well, either way, thanks for sharing your skills and ideas on many a thread and enjoyed by all...Sammy

5.00pm July 2nd 1863-Location the base of Little Round Top: Gettysburg.

Hood was down! his left arm shattered by a fragment from a shell burst. Command of his Division shifted to Evander Law. The 4th and 5th Texas of Robertson's Brigade although focused on the foreboding heights of LRT were still attempting to close the gap on their left flank. But under intense Union artillery fire moved further to the right and were now almost in the centre of Laws Alabama Brigade.

Confusion and disorder flourished everywhere. Nearly all of the senior line officers were gone-a shell had torn through Robertson's right leg just below the knee and Colonel Powell and been riddled with bullets. Subsequently, Major Jefferson C Rogers now assumed command of the regiment. He called to his men "My brave Texans, follow the Lone Star flag and take those heights"

Laws orders to Colonel Oates and his 15th Alabama regiment had been to abandon his position on Big Round Top descend to the north and take LRT.

A disgruntled Oates now led his men up the extreme right of what he would later describe as "that dammed, formidable mountain"

Meanwhile at the summit of LRT Colonel Strong Vincent had not waited for orders but had taken it upon himself to man the unoccupied heights and moved his brigade consisting of the 16th Michigan, 44th New York, 83rd Pennsylvania and the 20th Maine swiftly into position.

The Texans were now turned loose. A solid grey line of bold determined men "terrors to the enemy" pushed forward with bayonets fixed and the Rebel Yell resounding along their line.

Moving slowly up the hill the Confederate line officers remaining found it increasingly difficult to keep the troops into anything that resembled an orderly line of battle as the large rocks, trees and undergrowth kept breaking up their alignment.

Pushing toward their objective, which one Texan would later recall "a mountain goat would have revelled amid such rugged terrain", the breathless and thirsty Texans began to catch glimpses of the summit.

But no more than 50 steps above them Vincent's Brigade rose up from a roughly piled rock wall, pulled back the hammers of their Springfield muskets and..................

Reb

Bob, what a nice way to enjoy part of my Friday afternoon . . . . thank you once again for an outstanding episode of your ACW Diaries . . . . just very well photographed and narrated . . .
:smile2: Mike

Bob, what a nice way to enjoy part of my Friday afternoon . . . . thank you once again for an outstanding episode of your ACW Diaries . . . . just very well photographed and narrated . . .
:smile2: Mike

Than you Mike coming from an ACW expert such as yourself that means a great deal to me.

Bob

Bob, you have made the diorama/ photograph dio or 'ACW Diaries' an artform unique to yourself, having a small inkling of what is involved in setting up such a scene all I can say is you are a master, very well done...but then again everything you do is well done..... :salute::
Wayne.

I would like to say I have an inkling of the work, preparation and direction that went into creation of this scene but I don't. I just know it's very effective; I had no idea you could fit that many figures into one photograph, all of which work seamlessly. Compliments from a rank amateur but admirer.

^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

Not for nothing is this the best thread on this forum. Skill of the highest level displayed over and over again over a period of years. Bob's work is in my opinion true diorama work, effort, skill, time, expert knowledge of the subject and an eye for groundwork unmatched. Much as I love my WW2 collection sometimes Tanks in dio's can get pretty boring, this thread is an absolute joy.

Cheers Bob
Rob

Bob, this is just outstanding. The photography portrays a closeness, a claustrophobia, of moving through the woods in a mass of men. The trees and groundwork really make this sequence one of your best. I can't even imagine how much time and effort went into setting all of this up and then finding the angles to shoot pictures from. As has been said by others, this is the best thread on the forum and is especially so for ACW fans. -- Al

Knowledge, talent, skill, and unparalleled artistry in every post.^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

Bob, if that doesn't look like the real ground, nothing does. Your groundwork is masterful.

I totally agree Dan.................the whole layout is stunning, the ground work is incredible, as is the placement of the various trees, rocks, walls, etc, etc.

Not to mention the placement of the figures and the way they blend into the groundwork.

I also like the use of numerous manufacturers in these layouts, they work so well together, you've got a great eye for figure placement and making a scene flow, all without any sort of camera trickery, smoke and mirrors or other editing techniques.................what you see is what you get, which is awesome.

Not for nothing is this the best thread on this forum. Skill of the highest level displayed over and over again over a period of years. Bob's work is in my opinion true diorama work, effort, skill, time, expert knowledge of the subject and an eye for groundwork unmatched. Much as I love my WW2 collection sometimes Tanks in dio's can get pretty boring, this thread is an absolute joy.

Cheers Bob
Rob

Absolutely! :salute::

Jeff

The magic continues! Masterful display with the line of troops blending into the background. The use of ground cover and foliage make the dio realistic. Great display. Chris

Simply amazing, I keeping coming back to this jaw dropping thread for inspiration......and it's endless, thank you Reb for taking the time to 'share your stuff' :salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back