The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

I don't know how you create such similar scenes of paintings with your figures but it's outstanding.
Mark

Fabulous Bob! That Troiani set has always been one of my favorite toy soldier depictions of the Iron Brigade, and you really brought the whole scene to life with your display.

I am always inspired and in awe of these recreations. Bob could easily be a major motion picture studio art director.

Walt

Once again a masterful representation of a great painting. As others have mentioned above, the Troiani Miniatures set is also one of my favorites. I have one complete set and a partial set. Awesome as always Bob . . .
:smile2: Mike

The Emmitsburg Road: Part II.

Pickett's men pushed forward across the first fence that straddled the road and moved toward the second obstacle.

As the men scrambled to hurl themselves over the second fence the Yankee batteries switched their loads to canister.

Men were climbing to the top of the fence and then tumbling back onto the bed of the road. But others pushing from the rear were determined to get over that dam fence to get at their blue tormentors.

Pounded by canister stunned men left on their feet meandered or just stood in shock. A few shot their rifles into the smoke out of sheer frustration. The Federal guns were tearing the Confederate attack apart.

More troops poured in from the advancing Confederates only to bunch up against their stalled comrades in front which just offered denser targets for the Yankee gunners.

Finally a mass of men cleared the second fence and were now close enough to Cemetery Ridge to have a full view of a solid blue line behind the low stone wall running along the crest a mere hundred yards away. They moved forward

At the Angle near to a small clump of trees First Lieutenant Alonzo H Cushing ordered his Battery A, 4th US gunners to load with short range canister.

Reb

I could stare at this for hours! What a cracker of a dio! {bravo}}

Tom

Beautiful work, Bob. Really like the mass of figures and the desperation they convey. Also like the smoke that marks the Union firing line. The view from the Union artillery is especially impressive as the Confederates attempt to come on. -- Al

"Come on boys who comes with me", i love that scene in the movie, and i find THIS scene (like all your scenes) even better.

Wow Bob, nothing better than to have a day off from work and find this scene over a cup of coffee in the morning. Great views on both sides of the battle. Chris

Once again Bob, your knowledge of the American Civil War, coupled with your poetic ability to tell a story and your artistic ability with a camera has once again given the members of this forum a wonderful series of photos to thoroughly enjoy. Your extensive collection of ACW figures and their staging, has once again given us all a perspective, or for that matter a feeling, of history not unlike having actually been there as an eye witness. Just wonderfully executed in every respect.
:smile2: Mike

June 29th 1863-Cashtown, Pennsylvania.

The residents of Cashtown-about 8 miles from Gettysburg-probably thought the whole Rebel army had arrived in their town when Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill's Third Corps suddenly descended on them

This was the second time in less than a year that Rebel soldiers had invaded Cashtown. Confederate cavalry under J.E.B. Stuart had briefly occupied the town in October 1862. The Cashtown Inn owner was Jacob Mickley and over the next five days he would lose his wagon, horses, 50 chickens, the produce of a 100 apple and cherry trees and 480 gallons of whiskey and brandy. All confiscated by the Confederate army

The few residents who actually ventured outside remained silent except for Samuel Parker. Parker had been invalided out of the Federal army after losing his left leg at Second Manassas, watching the invaders marching through his hometown proved too much for him. Still proudly wearing his uniform he began to throw curses at the passing Confederates.

But the Rebs- noting Parker's blue uniform and his missing limb- rather than return the insults just nodded their heads and ignored him but one of them actually saluted the disabled Union veteran

On July 1st Robert E Lee arrived in Cashtown

He found Hill at a livery stable adjoining the Cashtown Inn. Over the following three days this very stable would be turned into a makeshift hospital to shelter the hundreds of wounded rebel soldiers

Whilst talking the two generals heard the low rumbling of artillery fire in the distance and unbeknown to both men at the time....... the battle of Gettysburg had already begun

Inspiration for the latter part of this particular episode was this painting of the Lee/Hill meeting at Cashtown 1st July 1863

Reb

Another awesome installment Bob!!! Great work.

I have to ask........what did you use for the dirt road?

Mark

Great scenes, like the changes to the mounted figs. Great use of civilian figs, don't think I've seen that in ACW before now. Excellent feel for a town scene. Chris

Another awesome installment Bob!!! Great work.

I have to ask........what did you use for the dirt road?

Mark
Thanks for your comments guys

Hi Mark

The base of the dirt road is a mid-muddy brown rough textured 3' X 2' rubber mat that I found in a railway hobby shop. I would assume it makes a fine railroad base to lay tracks for model railway hobbyists.To that I added a trial and error mix of JG Miniatures soil and sand. These are fine plastic granules that do no damage to the figure bases and I find them absolutely ideal for all kinds of roads/tracks and earth areas in my set-ups plus of course you can imitate wagon wheel ruts into the mix as well. Thanks for your interest.

Bob

Superb as usual Bob. You can feel the urgency for the Rebs to get to Gettysburg .
Best
Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back