The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Oooooo, what a cheeky monkey ..... I quite like it though. :tongue:^&grin

B. :salute::

During my eternity in hades, I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to reflect on my choice of assessment terminology. ^&grin

Bob, just getting caught up on some posts and caught your latest masterpiece. I happen to own the "Give them cold steel" print and kept comparing it to your posts. Just amazing what you have done to capture the sequence of events and the moment of Armistead and his men portrayed in the print. Just great work and stunning visually as usual. Can not wait to see the conclusion. Chris

Nice dio. :)

Oooooo, what a cheeky monkey ..... I quite like it though. :tongue:^&grin

B. :salute::

During my eternity in hades, I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to reflect on my choice of assessment terminology. ^&grin

^&grin^&grin^&grin

Buster

Simon is well known within the ranks of the Brit brigade as being a man of few words. However, he definitely becomes more verbal after a few beers ^&grin

Chris (7th OVI) Sending you a PM.

Bob

^&grin^&grin^&grin

Buster

Simon is well known within the ranks of the Brit brigade as being a man of few words. However, he definitely becomes more verbal after a few beers ^&grin

Chris (7th OVI) Sending you a PM.

Bob

When it's time to get a round in he's positively mute!:wink2:

Rob

Outstanding as always Bob . . . . I have just gotten home from a road trip to attend the W. Britain Model Soldier Symposium at Gettysburg and am just now catching up on your thread. Many good thing are coming our way sir . . . . Lots of ACW pre-production figures were shown . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Outstanding as always Bob . . . . I have just gotten home from a road trip to attend the W. Britain Model Soldier Symposium at Gettysburg and am just now catching up on your thread. Many good thing are coming our way sir . . . . Lots of ACW pre-production figures were shown . . . .

Mike, could you give us a hint or two or three???? :p

Thanks Mike

Many good thing are coming our way sir . . . . Lots of ACW pre-production figures were shown . . . .

Curiouser and curiouser said the Reb (with due apologies to Lewis Carroll)^&grin^&grin

Bob, This Diorama truly would be quite at home at the Gettysburg battlefield museum ! It just keeps getting.................Better ! :salute:: :salute:: :salute::

UKReb,

Absolutely amazing diorama. I saw your Antietam diorama a few years ago during college and your work has honestly inspired me to start dioramas of my own. Currently, working on my own Antietam diorama showcasing Hood's glorious Texans running through a corn field and some of my native Georgian's holdin back yankees at Burnside's Bridge.

-Joe

UKReb,

Absolutely amazing diorama. I saw your Antietam diorama a few years ago during college and your work has honestly inspired me to start dioramas of my own. Currently, working on my own Antietam diorama showcasing Hood's glorious Texans running through a corn field and some of my native Georgian's holdin back yankees at Burnside's Bridge.

-Joe

Georgia Confederate Soldiers
"We sleep here in obedience to law, when duty called, we came, when country called, we died"

I recently purchased the ACW camp set from Britain's.
The guy sitting with his mug of Java I consider to be a superbly sculpted figure however, can't say I'm all that enamoured with the hands in his pocket colleague though. But I struggled with just two enlisted Yanks in camp repose on how to display them. Just add a tent? not very adventurous. On closer examination of the relaxed guy-for me he had an officer appearance-especially with that goatee beard- and with a host of recent Yank officers being released from WB I hit upon an idea of converting him into a non-descript Yankee officer.

Consequently, I e-mailed Mike (Mestell) and asked for his advice on sack-coats for officers/insignia etc. With his wealth of knowledge of ACW uniforms Mike gave me a heap load of tips and I set about with a mini-simple conversion. White shirt and black tie (instead of the red flannel); shoulder bars and cap insignia followed by a repaint of his pants-Result as below.

Populating the scene with a few more officer staff

And you finally get a more interesting camp scene than just two enlisted Billy Yanks chewing the cud

Many thanks for your expert knowledge on the subject Mike.

Whilst recently sorting through my stash I came across this mounted Collectors Showcase piece and realised I hadn't used him in a scene for eons

I have a thing about mounted troops with either pistols, carbines or sabres in hand-apart from a full cavalry charge scenario they are pretty moribund figures in any collection. I decided I needed a much more versatile figure for a variety of different scenes.
Likewise this earlier Britain's figure of Confederate General A.P. Hill-a great looking pose but honestly ^&confuse-looked nothing like little Powell Hill-Ken Osen's later sculpt of Hill was much more accurate in depicting the gauntness of a man struck with a debilitating illness that he suffered practically throughout the war. Hence I rarely used this figure in any of my scenarios.

A simple conversion of removing the Yankee officer's pistol- resetting his arm in a downward pointing mode and grinding off his hat's cavalry cross-sabres badge to make him a mounted infantry officer. Taking the Hill figure-simply grind off his general's stars on his collar and repaint the same non-uniform colour and grey tint his hair and beard.

Now we have a scenario of an advanced Yankee scouting group plotting an alternate route for the Union army by making use of a civilian guide/scout that were abundantly used by both the Union and Confederate armies. The K&C cavalryman in the centre of the shot and appearing to be listening intently has also been disarmed of his carbine and his new arm now rests on the pommel of his saddle.

I'm sure it's not every collectors cup of tea to mess around with the standard issued figures but for me the versatility of slightly altering the pose of figures-can sometimes lend itself to a whole range of different diorama settings.

Reb

Brilliant Bob! Superb work my friend and thanks for showing us the process involved. All the best mate and see you in December.

Rob

Great work Bob!!! Do.you have the letter writer from ONTC? That one is pretty good for a camp scene. I bought him to use in a field hospital display.

The final officer conversion figure is fantastic Bob . . . . . It is so nice to be able to see how your project turned out . . . . . I am glad to have been able to help . . . . . Always at your service . . . . .

The conversions are superb Bob. The fig laying on the bed with the dog adds such a great touch of realism to the camp scene. A grand scene all around. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back