Trophy WW1 (2 Viewers)

Bus was not cheap! Either 300 or 350 Pounds. Excellent set though overall. I am working on Ken to do different versions including a reissue of the one he did in Matte previously!

I have an extra full set of riders, so I need another bus!

Tom

Thanks, Brad! I would recommend talking to Tom or Clive to find out how they did it. Clive just told me it was going to happen and asked if I wanted in. I told him absolutely, and he took care of the rest.

Bus was not cheap! Either 300 or 350 Pounds. Excellent set though overall. I am working on Ken to do different versions including a reissue of the one he did in Matte previously!

I have an extra full set of riders, so I need another bus!

Tom

Thank you, Tom. The price is actually not bad for a recast ::) This is very hard to find set to find but not impossible...for other sets I would still prefer originals.
Al

It will be interesting to see the difference between the new one and the one Damian has.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the new one and the one Damian has.

Here is a picture that Jeff (aujj65) took at the London Show in June last year, it shows one version of Ken Jackson's WW1 Bus.

I believe the other version has a more khaki finish

Cheers

Martyn:)

Looks pretty nice to me.

Does the price include the figures?

Brad

Mine did not have all the graffiti on it
That is quite a nice touch
Well done Louis
Can you now persuade ken to make a few other old Trophy sets

Mine did not have all the graffiti on it
That is quite a nice touch
Well done Louis
Can you now persuade ken to make a few other old Trophy sets

Even in my view recasts can never replace originals {sm4} but just out of pure curiosity I have to ask a question 'what would you guys suggest for "imagenery Trophy wish list" for Ken?'

Quite honostly if I owned the Trophy moulds I would not bother much with recasts but rather talked with Len and implemented some of his great ideas which have never realized: e.g. Custer's Last stand or extended Indian Mutiny range and base them on existing molds. Or I would have a Trophy panel to discuss new sets' .This way new "sets" would not repeat and devalue originals but rather complement to existing ranges.

Mass production would not needed and limited run paradigm successfully implemented recently by "OpenFire" company would work perfectly to the benefits of the manufacturer and potential buyers / collectors.

Just my two cents

Al

Even in my view recasts can never replace originals {sm4} but just out of pure curiosity I have to ask a question 'what would you guys suggest for "imagenery Trophy wish list" for Ken?'

Quite honostly if I owned the Trophy moulds I would not bother much with recasts but rather talked with Len and implemented some of his great ideas which have never realized: e.g. Custer's Last stand or extended Indian Mutiny range and base them on existing molds. Or I would have a Trophy panel to discuss new sets' .This way new "sets" would not repeat and devalue originals but rather complement to existing ranges.

Mass production would not needed and limited run paradigm successfully implemented recently by "OpenFire" company would work perfectly to the benefits of the manufacturer and potential buyers / collectors.

Just my two cents

Al

I have been thinking about your post for a few days
What I would probably ask for is some standard poses to fill out firing lines
In my collecting days I got hold of a great many wonderful Trophy sets but sort of missed out on the basics namely British firing lines for the AZW.
So that is what I am after.
Of the more elaborate sets I am lucky to have been able to acquire almost all of the real exceptional sets
My Holy Grail would of course be the HMS Lion and maybe a WWI Denis Lorry with a search light.
Interesting question.
Regards

even in my view recasts can never replace originals {sm4} but just out of pure curiosity i have to ask a question 'what would you guys suggest for "imagenery trophy wish list" for ken?'

quite honostly if i owned the trophy moulds i would not bother much with recasts but rather talked with len and implemented some of his great ideas which have never realized: E.g. Custer's last stand or extended indian mutiny range and base them on existing molds. Or i would have a trophy panel to discuss new sets' .this way new "sets" would not repeat and devalue originals but rather complement to existing ranges.

Mass production would not needed and limited run paradigm successfully implemented recently by "openfire" company would work perfectly to the benefits of the manufacturer and potential buyers / collectors.

Just my two cents

al

i am with you, get with len for master sculpts and do new sets. Like for the napoleonic series, french infantry kneeling , french horse guards or line lancers, prussians firing, british french and prussian artillery. Some personality figures. The list is kind of endless. A custer series would be splendid. I loved his rev war series. Anyway maybe the owners of the molds are listening

Just my two cents

Al

Just so you know these are not "recasts" they are all from the original moulds.

Martin

Just so you know these are not "recasts" they are all from the original moulds.

Martin

Thank you, Martin, I know that. What I meant: they are not "original" for me as a collector because they are not manufactured by original Trophy company and can not have a "Trophy" name because Len held a trademark rights as far as I know. Please do not get me wrong, I am pretty sure that this definition of "originality" means very little to some collectors, they just want to fill gaps in their collections. Nothing is wrong with it! I think it's still a great potential in extending Trophy range with a new sets using original moulds. The real question is if these new sets can be as creative as old ones? Len was creating small "stories" not just marching and riding figures that floated market in the recent years. A good examle would be "Soldiers of the World" made by Regal of NZ. Their sculpturing and paint job are very close to Trophys but they do not have that kind of attention which Trophys had. They are quite boring in my view.
Just my 2 cents.
Al

Thank you, Martin, I know that. What I meant: they are not "original" for me as a collector because they are not manufactured by original Trophy company and can not have a "Trophy" name because Len held a trademark rights as far as I know. Please do not get me wrong, I am pretty sure that this definition of "originality" means very little to some collectors, they just want to fill gaps in their collections. Nothing is wrong with it! I think it's still a great potential in extending Trophy range with a new sets using original moulds. The real question is if these new sets can be as creative as old ones? Len was creating small "stories" not just marching and riding figures that floated market in the recent years. A good examle would be "Soldiers of the World" made by Regal of NZ. Their sculpturing and paint job are very close to Trophys but they do not have that kind of attention which Trophys had. They are quite boring in my view.
Just my 2 cents.
Al

Your opinion of the figures is your own and I wouldn't what to try and change that:). I was just trying to clarify the fact that Ken Jackson didn't just buy a few moulds he bought the whole company, lock stock and barrel including the Trophy name and any copywrites and trade marks. In exactly the same way that the new owners of William Britains did not start the company, and yet know one seams to question whether they are "real" Britains.

Martin

Your opinion of the figures is your own and I wouldn't what to try and change that:). I was just trying to clarify the fact that Ken Jackson didn't just buy a few moulds he bought the whole company, lock stock and barrel including the Trophy name and any copywrites and trade marks. In exactly the same way that the new owners of William Britains did not start the company, and yet know one seams to question whether they are "real" Britains.

Martin

Martin, thank you for making this issue clear. I was under impression that Len kept a trade name.
Al

Well whatever the finer points of the issue are it is all quite academic as the new owner has had the sets for many years and has not really got them back into any sort of meaningful production. I like most others have moved on.

Well whatever the finer points of the issue are it is all quite academic as the new owner has had the sets for many years and has not really got them back into any sort of meaningful production. I like most others have moved on.

Slightly more than academic I think. I was making a point about ownership of the range. I realize that some people may be disappointed that Ken hasn't got the whole ranges in production, he is still the owner. I was also referring to a comment about the WW1 bus which is actually being produced.

Martin

I had heard a rumour that Ken still had the occasional set lying around and they could be purchased. Is there any truth to that?

Brad

Slightly more than academic I think. I was making a point about ownership of the range. I realize that some people may be disappointed that Ken hasn't got the whole ranges in production, he is still the owner. I was also referring to a comment about the WW1 bus which is actually being produced.

Martin
Well you always seem to be making points especially when it comes to this particular issue.
I suppose and we should all be grateful for that.
Are you the owners Public relations person or something.
Point is that the range has been mothballed and the current owner seems to live in the 1950's in terms of communication,
having a functional website and being contactable by email are fairly essential in 2014.
So owner or not it makes no difference to any of us out here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back