The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

Your offerings of pictorial history only get better Bob . . . . . brilliantly done once again . . . . . the river and its embankment are superbly done . . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

The river and banks are remarkably good. And as usual all of your groundwork is masterful! Very realistic all the way around.

Bob,

Your ACW Diaries keep getting better and better!!! Gotta love that river. Your scenes are highly inspirational to the rest of us who want to make dio's that can hopefully measure up someday.

Mark

I see just like with the farm complex you purchased from David at the last show, once again you've put into action another of your purchases from the London Show; John did a superb job on the piece, you added the troops and finishing touches and created another great chapter in the diaries.

Excellent Bob.............

Beautiful, Bob. I have spent more than one summers day in the vacinity of White's Ferry (ford), down at the waters edge and on it, and your river bank looks just like it. Very, very nice. At low water (and under drought conditions), it is possible to almost wade (not recommeded from a safety point of view) completely across the river at that point. -- Al

The beginning of another drama! :smile2: I echo the other comments regarding the 100% realism of the scenics and the matching of your figs with the story, down to the details of the map set. Great start Bob and already can't wait for the next installment. Chris

Hi Bob, Love the meeeting of the Generals with the maps on the table, as well as the water scenes, great photos and stories from your Diaries as always...Sammy

UKReb,
I have only been on the forum for a month and have went through this entire thread. I am a huge civil war buff. You sir are amazing and keep up the wonderful work!!!!! {bravo}}

Early Dawn-Thursday 4th September 1862-The Virginia side of the Potomac.

When Lee joined Jackson at the fording point the dawn promised a glorious day. Lee's army of 40,000 men stood quietly waiting.

DSC00069-2.jpg

Lee looked at Jackson and nodded. Stonewall smiled and pointed across the river

"Move Out"

DSC000602-1.jpg

The Stonewall Brigade raised their hats, waved them in the air and cheered in tribute to General Lee and the mighty Stonewall whose name they proudly bore

DSC00024-3.jpg

The front units scrambled down the bank. Some had already removed their boots in preparation to wade the river.
Jackson encouraged his troops with persistent urgings
"Close it up men. Close up. Keep it moving"

DSC00032-3.jpg

For most of the men of the Virginia regiments this would be the first time they had stepped out of their home state. The troops were euphoric as a result of their victories through the summer and they advanced across the river with enthusiasm-With their beloved Lee and Jackson leading them this was going to be a great adventure

DSC000322.jpg

As Lee watched his army wade across the river he took a moment for himself to enjoy the scene and thought- In the North this army will be seen as invaders but those people did not consider themselves invaders when they came into Virginia. We must end it here and we must end it now. Maryland and God, may well be very kind to us.

DSC000062-3.jpg

Across the river the lead elements were already on Maryland soil. The United States of America was under invasion and it was a grand and glorious sight.

DSC00021-9.jpg

To Be Continued All the Way To Antietam

Reb

Just a wonderful and evocative series of shots, Bob. Everything just works so well together, from the very appropriate figures, to the realistic river and bank, and the very well done melding of the background sky. I really love the depth perception you achieved with the last shot of the troops on the Maryland shore, with the wooded hills in the background. {bravo}} -- Al

Well done once again Sir! Just brilliant. As always Bob, I am thoroughly enjoying your photographs and story line . . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Absolutely the best. It's amazingly hard to do what you do with storytelling. Fantastic stuff. (And I really love those tree roots growing over the rock on the river's edge.)

Joe

Nicely done although to say the United States of America was "under invasion" was not correct as the whole country, including the rebellious states, was the United States of America. I believe it was General Meade or some other Union office who said something to the effect that we have thrown the invaders out of our country, which distressed Lincoln to remark that the entire country was our country.

Great stuff Bob! Like the little details like the guy stooping to pick the hat out the river. {bravo}} :salute::

Jeff

Nicely done although to say the United States of America was "under invasion" was not correct as the whole country, including the rebellious states, was the United States of America. I believe it was General Meade or some other Union office who said something to the effect that we have thrown the invaders out of our country, which distressed Lincoln to remark that the entire country was our country.

Brad you are correct as far as Lincoln was concerned but the dio is seen through Confederate eyes. And from February 8th 1861- when seven southern states met in Montgomery, Alabama to form a new republic called the Confederate States of America- The South never referred to or considered they were part of the United States until their defeat in April 1865.

Bob

Yet another great start to re-creating an epic piece of American history...I look forward to watching it evolve!!!!!.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back