The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Brad you are correct as far as Lincoln was concerned but the dio is seen through Confederate eyes. And from February 8th 1861- when seven southern states met in Montgomery, Alabama to form a new republic called the Confederate States of America- The South never referred to or considered they were part of the United States until their defeat in April 1865.

Bob,

Not only as far as Lincoln was concerned but as far as the United States was concerned as well. It is, of course, your dio, but they were rebellious states and still part of the United States. Based on what I see of some of the Southern Nationalist groups on the web, I'm not sure they yet see themselves as part of the United States.

I really hope everyone who views this realizes how hard it is to configure your available figures to a storyline. It is very time consuming, you have to visualize and then create the multiple scenes. It is a monster to do this and to do it as well as this.

Not to mention the research...

Always a pleasure to view this work. Alex

Wonderful depiction of both sides of fording the river Bob. Especially like the fig reaching for the hat, a nice touch. You always have an eye for details. Hope the Iron Bgde coming thru the cornfield release comes in time for your Antietam scenes. Chris

Brad you are correct as far as Lincoln was concerned but the dio is seen through Confederate eyes. And from February 8th 1861- when seven southern states met in Montgomery, Alabama to form a new republic called the Confederate States of America- The South never referred to or considered they were part of the United States until their defeat in April 1865.

Bob, a good point made, and thank you for continuing your excellent dio pics.

Oustanding pictures Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

I was away from the computer yesterday and have just started to pick up from Thursday :salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Another Brilliant Piece of work Bob :salute:: That stormy looking sky really sets it all off nice along with the river {bravo}}

Antietam-0930hrs- 17th September 1862:-Location-The Sunken Road

With the battle still raging around Miller's cornfield on Lee's left flank and Robert Toombs 400 Georgians frustrating Burnside's crossing over the Rohrbach Bridge on the Confederate right-Lee now expected the focus of the Union offensive to shift to his centre sector.

Two of Major General Daniel H Hill's brigades had taken up position in a sunken road which now formed the Rebel centre. The road bed lay between three and four feet below the farmland on each side. Years of farmers wagons loaded with grain for a mill on Antietam Creek had eroded the roadway. But for the Southerners the roadside bank formed a perfect natural defensive parapet. The Sharpsburg folk knew it as the old mill road but after this day it would be forever known to history as "Bloody Lane".

Lee and his entourage rode to inspect his army's centre position which had no more than a 600 yard front. The general addressed the regimental commanders
"You and your men now hold the key to our entire position gentlemen. You are the centre, and a wedge driven through here will divide our entire front" Lee paused then concluded
"The Federal offensive will surely be a determined one. But you must hold this position at all costs"

DSC00058_zps3de4e1cf.jpg

Colonel John B Gordon of the 6th Alabama spoke for them all, and loudly enough for the troops to hear
"These men are going to stay here, General, until the sun goes down or victory is won"
Lee saluted the men as a cheer rose up from the heart of the 6th Alabama and spread its way outward to the flanks.

DSC000812_zpsd3653b70.jpg

Orders were now shouted out
"Two lines, marksmen to the front, loaders behind"
The troops rushed to form their firing lines

DSC00114_zpsed878853.jpg

"Skirmishers forward"

DSC00011_zpsb2bb7108.jpg

Robert Rodes Alabamians & George B Anderson's North Carolinians now concentrated their attention on the hill that crested to their front. They couldn't see the enemy yet but could hear them marching to the rhythmical cadence of their drums. Rodes steadied his troops
"Hold your fire boys, wait until you can see the eagles on their buttons, then aim for their belt buckles and cartridge boxes"
The Rebs slowly pulled their hammers back to full cock position and waited.

DSC00067_zpsc418c82f.jpg

The flags of Delaware, New York and Maryland fluttered in the light breeze as the initial Federal assault moved down the hillside and....into oblivion.

DSC00062_zps02fcddde.jpg

When the union front was just within a few rods of the sunken road the Confederate line erupted a rippling flash of smoke and flame that roared in the Federal faces. Their entire front line went down in the all consuming blast. One North Carolina officer would later write in his diary "Our guns brought down the enemy as grain falls before the reaper"

DSC00035_zps4dcca137.jpg

The Rebs were stacked deep but very much alive. Those in the rear loaded and passed weapons forward for those in the front to shoot. This allowed them to deliver a continuous and withering wall of hot lead. Each of General French's three Federal Brigades attacked in turn and each was wrecked and repelled by the Southern guns

DSC00111_zps1afc4f73.jpg

Yet the defenders were taking heavy casualties as well, hardly getting time to attend to their wounded before another Federal assault was upon them. As the fourth Union attack began an Alabamian NCO called out from their front
"Here they come again...........We'll I'll be....... its those danged green-silk flag fellahs. Hell! boys I thought we had licked them real good at Malvern Hill"

DSC00044_zpsf9e18833.jpg

Indeed it was the emerald green satin flags bearing golden harps and shamrocks with words the Rebels couldn't read embroidered around them who now were advancing toward the defenders. This was the veteran Irish Brigade led by the famed 69th New York Regiment. The brigade was commanded by the fiery whiskey drinking Brig. Gen. Thomas F Meagher who swore that his Irish laddies would break this damm rebel line clean in half.

DSC00049_zps5591c3b5.jpg

To be "bloodily" concluded
Reb

Fantastic work mate, just brilliant. Terrific battle scene the like of which have not been matched here on the forum, love the script too, keep it coming Bob!.

Rob

Brilliant rendition of Bloody Lane, Bob. Terrific action, as usual. Love the construction you did on the lane itself, and the crowded, chaotic conditions are captured as it must have been. Well done, sir. --

Can't wait for the next instalment Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Fantastic work mate, just brilliant. Terrific battle scene the like of which have not been matched here on the forum, love the script too, keep it coming Bob!.

Rob

Brilliant rendition of Bloody Lane, Bob. Terrific action, as usual. Love the construction you did on the lane itself, and the crowded, chaotic conditions are captured as it must have been. Well done, sir. --

Can't wait for the next instalment Bob {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers

Bob, I agree with all that has been said and more! :salute::.........thank you.

Jeff

I wonder how it feel, knowing that whichever side of Sunken Road you were on, you were probably not going to live.

Although this episide is up to its usual high standard, in his story-telling Bob has injected "tension," that makes its retelling even more compelling than normal. A fine effort indeed :smile2:

The diorama's excellence goes without saying . . . the courage of the men on both sides, in the face of near certain death, is inspiring.

Bob,

Another incredibly done installment! Thanks again for keeping your diaries thread going. Along with everyone else........I'm looking forward to the next round. Please bring it on soon!

Mark

Just outstanding and once again brilliantly done, both in photography and story line . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Another great installment Bob. Perfect photography, covered bases and the construction of the sunken lane is brilliantly depicted. The mix of WB, FL and Conte figs is seemless. THe storyline adds so much to the visual presentation. Thanks for posting, been well worth the wait. Chris

Hi Bob,

As always another great story and dio, no doubt that your Diaries thread is one of the most interesting and enjoyable parts of this entire forum and I always look forward to new dios/ and historic battles that you represent so well in your diorama work, thank you again for posting some great work and look forward to your next battle...Sammy

Pictures and "a thousand words".It doesn't get any better , congratulations Bob !
Regards
Kirk

Once again my fried you've out done yourself an thanks for the earlier sneak peak Bob it was well worth the wait....Joe{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

WOW, what a brilliantly conceived, populated, landscaped, photographed and chronicled set of scenes.{eek3}^&cool This is truly master level work. I very much look forward to seeing this saga revist those very bloody hours of history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back